slow at work ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Anyone else slow at work ? I have 2 jobs (tree removal-logging and auto detailing at a Honda dealership) and all most no work at either. Would love to find one good job so I can see my wife and kids but I cant find anything around here.

My father has given up. Selling off whats left of his business and moving from CT to Va. If he does well out there I may be following him. I hate to take the kids away from there grandparents but it beets being out of work and broke.

i am in michigan and it is very slow here!!! thats one of the reasons i am selling my car. i cant really afford it anymore because we are so hit & miss here at work. i am in the glass business!!! ( showerdoors & mirrors )

It's all 'trickle down' from high fuel prices. High fuel prices mean higher delivery costs which mean higher selling prices on everything which results in less money available for discretionary purchases. Less money to spend on both taking that tree down and detailing your Honda.
The high fuel prices are truly 'non-denominational' and are affecting everybody.
Our monthly car club meeting was yesterday at a slightly different location than normal and it was interesting to see people we haven't seen in months because the new location was closer to them; and conversely, not seeing 'regular' attending members because the new location is further from home for them.

Anyone else slow at work ? I have 2 jobs (tree removal-logging and auto detailing at a Honda dealership) and all most no work at either. Would love to find one good job so I can see my wife and kids but I cant find anything around here.

My father has given up. Selling off whats left of his business and moving from CT to Va. If he does well out there I may be following him. I hate to take the kids away from there grandparents but it beets being out of work and broke.

A lot of dead trees here from the ashbore!!
I hope to help a friend with his tree service he needs good help not to sure what I'll ? Last time I load the trees after he cut it up.

You tell me... I'm here while at work! :angry7:

My youngest son has slowed waaaay down building houses.
He and his co workers had to start doing red steel buildings.
The unemployed is at 5 percent here the last I herd.
Gas is down to $3.62 a gallon.
I hope thing get going for you AdamR.
Sorry to here the bad news.

The company I work for has been laying people off left and right. I still have a job, but unfortunately that means I am really busy picking up what used to be other people's jobs.

Little different situation where I work..... I work for Cooper Tires and all we build is replacement tires .... No tires at all for new vehicles... Historically speaking the slower the economy the better off we are..... Theory is instead of buying a new car folks will just keep their old one and put new tires on it..... But with high gas prices fewer miles are being driven , so who knows what will happen ?????? Right now we are pretty busy....... I hope it gets better for all you guys.....

It doesn't seem to be much better here in VA. My work (dental, I make/repair dentures) is usually slower in the Summer, but this year it's been dead, I haven't worked much since the spring and only worked 2-3 days in June, things have picked up a little now, but I'm still only getting 25 hours a week or so, after $50 a week in gas I've got $100-150 to go toward bills or the Valiant, coming up on 6 years in this feild, just when things were looking up the economy takes a dump, sometimes it feels like I'll never get ahead.

Good luck with your search man

Well I hate to say this, but we are doing good. I don't know if you guys all know but I work for advanced FLOW engineering (aFe). We manufacture performance air filters for cars and trucks. As well as Air Intake systems and exhaust systems. Busy for sure, but the slow has yet to hit us. That's not to say that it won't, just when. The aftermarket is weird. People buy products because they have to have it.

its slow here in my county for electricians. some guys were out of work for 6-8 months. about 180 electricians not working. luckily im an apprentice so they keep me busy. that will all change in a couple years.

Well, I work for the railroad & we are busy as ever due to the high fuel prices. Everyone wants to ship in bulk rather than ship by truck. Guess its cheaper in the long run. Hell I had to call in sick this weekend. First weekend I have had off in 3 months!

We are still busy I am part owner of a machine shop that does mostly hydraulic work luckely we service a lot of different industries.

Haven't worked since May 14th.

I'm a rural mail carrier. I think people are buying more stuff and having it shipped, cause we get a lot of packages. We pay for are own fuel and are reimbursed mileage we just got a 5 cent raise per mile but it's not enough, I spent $1600. on gas last month.

i run a service dept.for chevrolet/pontiac dealership. we are booked up through next wendsday already. has been like this for about a month. we have 8 service techs and could use 2 more.they are flagging about 96-106 hours in a 88 hr period. business has been good.
gas prices are down to $3.38 per gallon here..

I work in IT. Some of my largest customers (Newegg, Tiger Direct) have been saying that business is slow and erratic this year. It definitely translates to the paycheck.

Adam I think it is just hard everywhere right now. It is slow where I work too. Lucky I work in the wharehouse so have been getting my 40 plus some o/t. But not too good for the plants, Most off them don't even see 30 hrs. a week. And if it doesn't get better soon I am not too sure I will be working much longer. Oh, I work for a Motorhome company here in Or.

It's up and down here for me ... some weeks I bust a$$ and others I sit on it waiting for the phone to ring.

If it wasn't for you FABO guys I'd be sitting on it a lot more, I know that much!!!

-
Back