slow at work ?

-
Im in england and it's slow here I work as a tech for a plant hire company backhoes and stuff,but the hire's have dried up no one wants to dig holes !!You guys are lucky paying 3-4 bucks a gallon we have to fork out about $11 to $12 for our gas ,Diesel is a bit more expensive but more miles to the gallon

I run a Mt. Dept. in a large supermarket. Actually our business is up. More people are eating at home,instead of restaraunts. Several of the ones I go to,that used to have to wait in line,now you just walk in and sit down. I sure hope,once the election is over,things will get better. It seems like it always get bad during election year,but this seems worse than any I can remember.

I buy logs for a saw mill here in Washington State, we use to employee around 180 people and run two shifts five days a week + overtime.
Now days we employee 82 people and have a hard time getting enough logs to keep one shift going.

All this has happened in the last five years, and we're still looking at making more cuts to try and keep things going.

My wife has had a good job with a great company 26 years. They have one more weeks work on the floor then layoff for indefinate period.
I have a helper :)

Around here, the petrochemical plant construction is booming. They are hard up finding enough skilled tradesmen. Word is that, between the construction companies and chemical plants, they will be needing to fill around 30,000 construction and permanent plant jobs. Looking for trades, heavy equipment operators, managers, welders, etc. They are so desperate that they are planning to train some locals.

I work at a major aircraft fabrication company. We call it the lazy B - sometimes for a good reason. I work on a product that we have been churning out for years and all the bugs are worked out for the most part so it can get pretty darn quiet sometimes. Other parts of the company are hopping right now but it's a contract year so who knows what'll happen in a month or two...

I'm a mobile mercedes mechanic.

I stepped away from the dealership because I got tired of making someone else money and I've been doing it full time for about 5 years now.

The industry as a whole is up and down like a roller coaster and this year has been particularly hard on the poor saps that have to try to sell new cars, and the service departments have been losing alot of their customers to independents.
This helps me as an independent that is also mobile to their door, but when the phone rings for a price quote, you have to try to sell yourself a little harder now days and customize your pricing a bit from time to time.

I have been steady, dead, slow, steady, busy, dead, ...just like that for the past couple years so It's nothing I'm not used to.

It's nothing like the great depression, but everyone is looking for better deals and cutting back on things like car maintenance.

My Brother in law also worked with me as a tech at a mercedes dealership, and he started his own business installing factory and aftermarket audio video gadgets in mercedes and other vehicles.
He does it on a mobile business by himself and makes about $300-k a year.

This has been his slowest year ever and the first time I've heard my Sister complain about his spending, so I know if he's feeling the pinch something must be off.

I keep telling younger kids now days to become multi skilled and have a do it yourself attitude toward things, not only to save money, but to hone different job skills if you need to find a different career path.

My Wife has not worked a paying job for years while we were raising these kids, but she is going to nursing school and hopes to be working in the nursing field in another year or so.
That will take some of the pressure off of me for a change.

I work at Oakville Assembly Complex(Ford Canada)and they just cancelled my midnite shift.I think they are going to lay off 500 people after they give 400 packages.The price of oil,economy in U.S is hurting everybody.I,m lucky I have 22years so I,ll be alright til 30 years I hope.

im an electrician and havent worked that career since may. work is pretty slow around here, but it doesnt help that our idiot mayor put a ban on building houses in this town because she feels its becoming too large a town. look how many people she just put out of work. it affects every trade, along with realtors, etc. so now im a landscaper waiting for more electrical work.

I just bought this off of ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Aut...diZ2871QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

The factory ones were $30-k at one point and about $15-k for a basic unit.
I just could not swing that kind of overhead.

Brinson co was selling knock offs for $10-k for years to the independent guys, and for the past year or so, there have been cheap chinese knock of of these but with lot's of issues.

This one is cheap and also can be updated with factory MB software, and I think this guy has the angle on the market and I wanted to get one while the getting was good.
He's sold ton of them with lotsa good feedback.

You can't imagine how much work I have turned down because I did not have one of these suckers.
Hopefully now I can expand a bit.

I just went back to work in April, after being layed off for 6 months. I was told the end of last month that my hours were cut in half. So I just worked the first to weeks Aug, and am taking the last 2 weeks off.
Good thing Unemployment sent me a notice that they are extending my benifits. I'm going to need it.

I work for Uhaul and its kinda strange ,when times are good people move,when times are bad they move even more. So for now we are still pretty busy. I hope things get better for every body else.
Bob

was out of work since the last week of june, finnaly back, with a different company (i only restore/fix/maintain mustangs) buisness is busy....lots of vintage mustangs driven daily in So Cal...

I just bought this off of ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Aut...diZ2871QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

The factory ones were $30-k at one point and about $15-k for a basic unit.
I just could not swing that kind of overhead.

Brinson co was selling knock offs for $10-k for years to the independent guys, and for the past year or so, there have been cheap chinese knock of of these but with lot's of issues.

This one is cheap and also can be updated with factory MB software, and I think this guy has the angle on the market and I wanted to get one while the getting was good.
He's sold ton of them with lotsa good feedback.

You can't imagine how much work I have turned down because I did not have one of these suckers.
Hopefully now I can expand a bit.

spaz,

I clicked on the link and it must not work.

I work in the A/C business in South West FL. Its seasonal down here, but its really slow for this time of year. I run the warehouse, run parts, and do a/c system installs. They have cut my hours back to 25 hrs a week. So needless to say the Barracuda/ my Dakota R/T supercharged has been put on back burner. Dan

Well, i hate to hear all you guys are outa work or working very little. Me, I work for an oil and gas equipment company "Kimray Inc." on OKC. Ok. Best year we have had in 60 years of business. The owners are doing really well anyway. I am working on the average of 50 hrs a week, six days a week. The oil and gas business is hopping if you couldn't have guessed. The cost of gas is effecting everyone though. It has put a burden on my household income also along with two boys in sports. Hopefully it will turn around pretty soon. It always does eventually. Hang in there guys.

I dont know if its our prices,or quality of work,but were swamped with work right now.I guess folks around here have decided they cant buy a new car,so were getting overwhelmed with all over paint jobs on mid 80s to 2000 model vehicles,most midsize cars and trucks.Ive done more all over paint jobs this year,than i ever have in my 20 plus years of paint and body work.I think if gas stays high,were people cant afford the payments on a new car,ill have a lot of older ,smaller vehicles coming in to paint all over.The local upholstery shop is swamped also right now,same deal,lots of seats for 80s model cars and trucks to do(canrys and sentras mostly)so who knows what will happen.

its slow here in my county for electricians. some guys were out of work for 6-8 months. about 180 electricians not working. luckily im an apprentice so they keep me busy. that will all change in a couple years.
IBEW Local 302? I'm also an apprentice going into my 3rd year, I just started working again today after being layed off for a week.
I was 5th on the list of apprentices and they told me it would probably be two weeks before any work, so I was real happy to hear from the hall so soon.

-
Back