slow cooker recipes

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so I just bought my first slow cooker and I got some chili going (probably messed it up already since I forgot to drain the beans)

I'm not much of a cook, but if you need someone to drop some stuff in a pot and ignore it for a few hours...im your man

so lets hear it, what all can I cook in there?

(on a side note, can you imagine I got this sweet Lions slow cooker on sale after they delivered that crushing defeat to the bears?)

Well...My favorite is a venison roast or beef. Lay the roast in the bottom and season it. I like salt and pepper and Garlic with some oregano. Surround it with carrots. I like the little ones already cleaned. Add potato's skinned or not your choice either quartered or halved depending on the size and of course onions halved or quartered again depending on the size. Add water so it doesn't become completely dry. Then salt and pepper all of that and any other spices you may want. If there is enough juice you can make a gravy or it can be a stew. Cook it all day and it melds the flavors.

I think I have a shoulder roast, or rump roast or something my boss bought at the 4H fair last year
I just might try that on Thursday

like dartna bout said, a beef roast ( rump is great), little water some seasoning, set it on LOW and let it go all day. bout only way you can screw it up is not have a little water in pot.
like he said, add carrot and taters for a complete meal! as you gain experience, add some (real) garlic maybe stuck into the roast.

I have done chicken with some rice and water. ( yes season it!)

ham and bean soup . I know you said you are no ****, but ,,, do I need to explain it!??? ha

I bet the google will also yield a bunch, or I have seen womens mags with nothin but slow cocker receipes.

chili.. that's the only way i do it. Yes drain the beans some. you might want to brown the meat first and get rid of the fat? try six gun chili mix if you see it..

I bet the google will also yield a bunch, or I have seen womens mags with nothin but slow coocker receipes.

I know, but I figured I would have a better chance at "basic" recipes here
with ingredient I actually know (like bacon)

I usually roast a chicken, have the dark meat with a meal while hot & then use the white meat in the slow cooker for chili.

I use the Caroll Shelby chili mix kit & then add spices for more heat.

Get a crock pot cookbook. You will see you can cook anydangthing in it you want to.

thanks for the input guys
I'm looking forward to trying ribs in there, I love ribs

my next project will be a 3.7 pound round bone beef roast
I will try the carrots, potatoes and seasoning :)
anyone have any suggestions on the seasoning?

I even cooked lasagna in it once.

If I had read this a bit earlier I could have taken a picture. Just did a teriyaki seasoned pork tenderloin with some cut up potatoes and carrots that were seasoned with just salt and pepper. I have a collapsable collander that I use when cooking meat in it. It sits it up an inch or so off the bottom and I will put either water, wine or a dilluted juice in the bottom to keep everything moist and add some other flavor. I will cook a meatloaf in it also from time to time and keeping it off the bottom keeps it out of the grease

I would give you my crock pot smoked barbeque recipe.......but then I would have to come eliminate you.

Cube about 1.5lbs of beef in 1.5" squares, brown in a skillet.
Place about 5 peeled and cubes potatoes in the bottom along with sliced carrots, celery and about 1/2 onion.
Mix in McCormic's beef stew mix.
Cook on slow for 8 hrs.
Make sure everything is covered in water or it will dry out.
Done

My wife throws some well seasoned ribs in the pot at 10 AM and leaves it there all day, then about 4PM the rib meat falls off the bone. I eat all the tender meat and give the bones to the dogs!!

Treblig

How big a crock pot do you have.
My wife has 7 varying in sizes, from one qt to like 3 gallon size depending on the food cooked.

I actually have one in the garage I use to boil carbs in, no we don't cook food in it.
50/50 mix of simple green and water.
Do not forget about the carbs boiling overnight, there will be no finish left on a Holley carb the next day, but the carb is really clean.

My wife has 7 varying in sizes, from one qt to like 3 gallon size depending on the food cooked.

I actually have one in the garage I use to boil carbs in, no we don't cook food in it.
50/50 mix of simple green and water.
Do not forget about the carbs boiling overnight, there will be no finish left on a Holley carb the next day, but the carb is really clean.

GREAT IDEA (carb boiler)!!! My wife has two different sizes depending on how much food she needs to prepare.

treblig

Seriously watch how long you boil a carb, it cleans it fast.
Never again will I waste my money on dipping a carb in over-priced auto parts store cleaner.

Hi-jack off

well, the chili came out excellent
I left the top of the pot about 2 hours before serving it, and I think that made up a bit for my failure to drain it

it was very tasty (must be in part because of the 2 table spoons of brown sugar I added)
but I still need to work on the bean/meat ratio

6 quarts :D

Awesome
Kinda hard to mess up chili.
Baby steps.......

That is a nice one because it has the locking lids, nice for transport for other friends party's.

Buy you a smaller one they are easier to learn to cook in.
The big ones suck unless you are making something you plan on eating for a week.

Swiss steak.

A cube steak (or two if you're a big eater) per person. Can of diced tomatoes, a green pepper cut into strips, an onion cut into strips, and a clove of garlic. A dash of paprika and salt in pepper. Dredge your steak in flour and give a quick fry in oil. Through everything in the crock pot.

Make up mashed as a side and serve the "gravy" over the mashed.

just remembered this. what they call "country ribs".. cook all day in crock with seasoning. then I sear, brown it in small skillet with b b q sauce. it will get rid of some grease, brown the meat, and caramelize it some with the sauce.

something like baby back ribs, if you can come upo with a small rack to set them on, water underneat, 200 degree temp in crocker all day..... yum!

learning to cook can illiminate ( sorry spelling police) one costly need in your life!

learning to cook can illiminate ( sorry spelling police) one costly need in your life!

that is one of the reasons we got the crock pot
I work Monday and Friday, she works Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
the days she works she doesn't come home until 8, and since I'm watching the kids the "regular" pot and pan cooking is too hectic

but with a crock pot I can get it going early in the morning, after I drop my boy off at school, but before the girl wakes up

being able to serve a plate of food when she comes home is very helpful...not only because it is cheaper, but it also gives us a much better chance at getting the kids to bed at a decent time

Hey
I filled one with apple slices and added in a cup of brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and topped it with Oatmeal, top the oatmeal with frozen butter (shaved or shredded). We went fishing and when we got back for dinner it was ready.:cheers:

I make lots of stuff in ours, we have several differnt ones

Made chili last night and it turned out good.

When cooking meat it is good to think slice onion and place meat on it before putting anything else in, then add whatever you want.

We do pork loin a lot, then once it is done leftovers can be made into BBQ, stew or whatever

If you can cook it in the oven you can cook it in a crock, just might not look the same.

Bought a new casserole crock before Christmas for greenbean casserole

A cook book might be helpful if you are not much of a cook. Or just google whatever you think you might want to make and you will get several recipes online

-
Back