Slow cranking

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
First my battery is relocated to the trunk, I bough a brand new 875 CCA battery and it cranks fine for about 4 revolutions then slows almost to a stop, hook it to the battery charger/jump box and it cranks like a champ.

I was thinking maybe the cable from the battery to the starter isn't big enough but I'm not sure?
Thanks

Sounds like a defective battery to me. You need to do some testing, and for starters "pun intended" it's not always easy. You need a carbon pile voltmeter, a multimeter, and an extension wire any size to reach the front to rear of the car

Like this:

carbon-pile-tester.jpg

What voltmeter tests will NOT tell you without a carbon pile:

What the starter is drawing, IE if the starter is defective, or if the engine is trying to seize.

However you can make an educated guess with just a meter.

If you have another battery ANY decent battery, the quickest way is just to exchange batteries.

You can get a GOOD idea of how good or bad your overall connections, disconnect, added relay/ solenoids, and cables are with a couple of voltage checks.

"String out" your extension wire. Clip the meter to the engine block, and clip the other probe to your wire. Run the wire clear to the back, and have a partner "stab" the remaining connection directly into the top of the battery post.

Crank the engine, read the meter while cranking. Notice the quite low reading. The lower, the better. Post that here

To check the hot side, same idea. Clip one meter probe to the starter hot post, the big post. Clip the other meter probe to your extension, and have your partner stab the probe into the top of the POS post. Crank and read. Should again be a very low reading, the lower the better.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have your parter stab the meter probes right into the tops of the two battery posts. Crank and read. Here, the higher the better. Below 10.5 is pretty bad for a battery that "hot." (Maybe the battery is just DEAD, IE discharged)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brand new and fully charged, friend of mine said he has a tester so I'll have him bring it up, worse come to worse I'll go exchange it for another and try again

Brand new and fully charged, friend of mine said he has a tester so I'll have him bring it up, worse come to worse I'll go exchange it for another and try again

It might be new, might be charged, that doesn't mean it works, LOL

Bad/weak ground. Cable too small. Weak cell in battery. Corrosion on starter terminal.

Could be a hundred things.....did you JUST relocate the battery to trunk?

Was it doing ok before?

If so, did you use one long cable, or piece together something-(don't laugh-people have done sillier things before).

Bad/weak ground. Cable too small. Weak cell in battery. Corrosion on starter terminal.

Could be a hundred things.....did you JUST relocate the battery to trunk?

Was it doing ok before?

If so, did you use one long cable, or piece together something-(don't laugh-people have done sillier things before).

Normally, "stuff like this" will not cause fast, then slow cranking.

Battery was relocated prior, had a stock 74 440 when I got it. Now an 11:1 383. But it's a solid cable the whole way.
Battery is grounded right to the frame, then ground from engine to frame. And as said I'll certainly get the battery checked out, even though it's brand new

Might want to check the starter itself. They do wear out. Depending on how old it is or if it's been ground on for a long time with a weak battery, they can do some strange things!

Just my opinion, but you'd probably save yourself some grief by putting the battery back up front.

I ran Mustangs a long time and that 50lbs isn't worth the hassle. If it's mounted in one of those plastic boat boxes, that would NEVER pass tech at the track, because as I recall it has to be in a sealed steel or aluminum box, vented to the outside of the car. And, I think you have to have a manual cutoff also.

I never liked the idea of a 15 foot live cable going through or under the car personally, but it's up to you.

...........I just got done changing the mini starter on my 440 to a mopar performance 1 as the other brand rebuilds would do the same as urs...I have changed all cables and batteries b4.............kim......

Well the battery tested ok. I cleaned the ground real good, and put all new cable ends and battery posts. Problem solved! For now atleast, if it happens again I'll get a new good mini starter

Truely, putting the battery in the back is one of the better mods I ever did.At the very least I can never put a tool across the posts any more.
And it makes it really hard for punks to steal it.This makes it really nice,when I wake up 600 miles from home, and the engine cranks when I hit it.

-
Back