Smacked a bird. Close call.

-

k3522

Reaction score
I had a nice Sundy almost ruined. Me and the wife went to a cruise-in and then did a walk in a local park that goes in the wood to a cool bridge and water fall. on the way home a bird came out of no where and smacked the front end. I saw it out my driver side mirror rolling on the road. For the next mile or so until I could pull over I imagined my aluminum grille bent up beyond repair. Luckly it hit low on the bumper and just left feather marks that cleaned up. The 69 Dart grille is so fragile! Not a great design for durability.
I guess I better find a spare.

whew, close call. glad to hear nothing was hurt..except the bird. :)
Animals can do tons of damage. My bother in-law was smashed in the driver door by a dear....3k and 2wks later he has his car back

Back in 1999 my wife hit a goose or duck while going about 60 in our new Silverado. Exploded the grille, punctured the AC condenser and bent the rad. She'd get pissed when I'd talk like Donald Duck after that :evil4:

I hit a goose in Wisconsin in 1973 with a '69 GTS. Destroyed the grill and pushed the radiator into the fan. The collision was quite spectacular, all I could see was feathers. Took the dealer 2 days to fix it and it only cost me the $50 deductible on my insurance. Best of all I got enough down from the grille and radiator to make a vest for the frigid winters up there. Those were the days, glad you had a close call instead.

Back when Hector was a pup, I was on a weekender with the Porsche Club. One guy on the trip had a 911 that had an alarm which auto set. It did....with the keys in it. So he called home (Dallas) and had one of his kids put an extra set of keys on a plane to Austin. (we were in Fredericksberg)

So this guy and his wife pile in to a friends Audi 3000 with his friend and his wife. They retrieve the keys from Austin, and on the way back:wack: a turkeybuzzard smack in front of the driver. It was embedded in the windshield, and had to be "removed" when they got back to Fredericksberg.

I've started stockpiling front end parts for my car when I can find them.

I live up a country road, kinda in the woods. We have resident deer that graze along the side of the road year round. Even along the coastal highway and into town there's deer along the roads. A buddy of mine hit two deer in one day.

I know that it's bound to happen, if I'm not prepared. So if I have extra parts, maybe it won't happen.

Makes me want to hide my NOS candy cane mouldings and run the old ones...I hit a bird about two weeks ago with my truck, or it hit the ladder rack...the walk in the park sounds like Bushkill...woods, bridge, waterfall..glad nothing was hurt.

About an hour ago I almost hit a deer. It was standing in the road just beon my head lites. I locked up the brakes and hit the side of the road. The deer walked away. I'm glad I have brown seats in the Duster!

About 4 yrs ago I was headed home for the doctor and cut through downtown Easley. So I'm headed up a hill at about 20 MPH when I see a large crow flying just above the utility poles. The croww dropped something.
Seconds later about half of a hotdog weinner hit the pavement in the oposing lane. I drove past it just as an elderly lady was comming down the hill. Looked inn the rear view just in time to see the crow hit the windshiled of the ladys car.See panic braked and turned right . Hit the curb head on. Next car tryed to knock her trunk off. Turned her car parrelell to the curb.
I found a place to park and walked back to the scene. No one was hurt except the crow. I asked the traffic officer if he needed to note which direction the crow was traveling in his report. He chuckled, "That'll be a first."
In hindsight I realized the person who threw out a half eaten hotdog was the root cause of this accident.

WIENER FROM THE SKY :lol:

I hit a bat while on a 4 wheeler about a week ago. me and about 10 other people were flying down these little TN roads at about 45mph and I get whacked in the chest... the thing flopped into my lap and I about drove the 4 wheeler into the ditch.... it took about 15 minutes for everyone to quit laughing..can't imagine if I had hit a dear or a dog or something larger than a winged hotdog..

Great stories. I hope I never hit a bat eating a hot dog while it is chasing a turkey that is wearing a donald duck mask!

I just bought a backup grille and headlight buckets from dart64gt.

-
Back