Small Block Advice

-

67dart

Reaction score
Hello, new here, had some questions about my 1967 dart hoping you guys could answer.

I'm looking to change the stock slant six to a small block v8. Would I need to upgrade/install a k member?

If this is in the wrong topic area sorry.

thx

That would be one way but you can also purchase conversion motor mounts from Schumaker, they advertise in all the mopar magazines.

You will also need a sb bell housing or sb auto tranny and upgrade the cooling. You should also upgrade the rear end to either an 8.25 or an 8.75, your car mostly likely has a 7.25 which won't hold up very long behind anything more than a stock 318. The other things that should be upgraded are the brakes and torsion bars.

There was a set of transdapt conversion mounts for sale on here a bit ago. Look at the transdapt kit, it's less money than the shu kit. You could also change the K member, will likely cost more than the conversion mounts.

Torsion bars may not need to be changed, IF, the car was an AC ride with the slant. They generally came with the same bars as a SB non-AC car.

Agreed, brakes are in need of change.

The rear is a definite change that needs to be done for any long term beatings.

My 67 was originally a six and was converted to a small block using the Shumaker mounts. Everything above pretty much covers the swap except the drive shaft.

My car was running the original 9 inch drum brakes and stock torsion bars when I got it. It was a hand full to drive, and not very safe, but it could be done.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions!

I changed my k member in my duster when I converted to a V8. It was a lot of work but nothing too hard. It would be easier to change the motor mounts.
I was at our local dragstrip last weekend and a guy showed me how he used a 70's dodge truck mount (the metal part that bolts to the engine) on the passenger side and the standard v8 mount on the drivers side and it looked like a perfect fit. His car was a 68 dart.
Just something to look into.

I changed my k member in my duster when I converted to a V8. It was a lot of work but nothing too hard. It would be easier to change the motor mounts.
I was at our local dragstrip last weekend and a guy showed me how he used a 70's dodge truck mount (the metal part that bolts to the engine) on the passenger side and the standard v8 mount on the drivers side and it looked like a perfect fit. His car was a 68 dart.
Just something to look into.

That would be a Trans Dapt kit. They copied OE parts or made something very similar to OE parts. That guy knows the secret of useing OE parts. Getting them can be an issue I think.

CudaChick1968 They're all offering great advice ... except for the spelling of Schumacher.

THPHHHHHHHHHHHH :-D

CudaChick1968 Here's their site http://www.engine-swaps.com/
Yep, that is the place where I grabed my stuff from. Shoe-mach-er
There instructions were good and the job is easy.

But the Trans Dapt kit is what you should look at first. It is designed for the earlier sandwhich type cars and use's the same engine mounts. Which brings me tooooo, Shoe-mach-er has bullet proof poly mounts. There pricey, but they metal parts that sandwgich the rubber or in this case the poly, interlock so they can not be ripped apart. IMO, I'd pay the price because the chain method of retaining the engine in has allways look bad IMO.

The chain method;
Cheap, yes, effective, very, ugly, hell ya.

The poly interlocking mounts

Cheap, no, effective, YES! Good looking like stock, yep

Ha ha ha ha. You and my wife. The both of ya can get togther and shot fish in a bbl. (Me) and laff it up.

Hummmmm, I don't know. Ya never know.

-
Back