Small Block Head ?

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
What is the best LA Small block head to hunt for? I have read lots of threads and there are a multitude of casting numbers and types over the years, W2 etc.

I am researching for my 318 build and just asking what a good base SB LA head to keep an eye out for. The ability to find a suitable set is also a concern, I am looking for casting numbers and other info to identify a set if I find one.

I am leaning towards a .030 over 318 with stock crank, Rods, And oversize pistons. I may up the pistons as far as cast or forged goes. Not sure yet. Want to keep the 3.31 stroke and allow the cam and heads to work together.

Or should I keep the heads I have and have them worked? I don't know the info on them yet but I will look. Don't know what cam either.

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

You're going to have to be more specific. What is your budget? Are you wanting to use a factory casting or aftermarket? Cast iron or aluminum? Race or street?

Sorry about that! Factory and street. As far as budget goes, This will be an over time build so if I have to save up for certain parts I have time on my side. Of course cheap is always good and I want to make good choices on the big stuff! I am starting off with a free complete 1973' 318 and 904 tranny so that helps.

John B.

In terms of your plans, I'd say the EQ Magnums are the best bang for the buck and will make all the power you need. You can go bigger, but I think you're just spending to spend at that point.

On a budget, the heads you have now with 360 valves and a mild porting will do well.
It's all in the combo. What is yours or your idea?
OH, gear ratio and cam specs please.

-
Back