Small Block heads W2,5, Aluminum

-

daredude

Reaction score
There is alot of talk about W5 heads it would be great if mopar or some other company did some movement for us small block guys on some aluminum heads. Maybe revise the batten or the W2 in aluminum? The W5 is very promising. Something that could be bolted on with out breaking the bank would also be helpful!

They have...they are called Commando heads...you can get them in a small or large port configuration.

Thats the head to use now. I couldn't stand the fact that the W-5 needed to have the intake modified when they first came out. It was to confusing at first and then I just said screw it.

Welcome to the site Daredude.

As of right now, if you want a better head than Edelbrocks for ethier a killer street ride or racing, the Comando head is where it starts. The LP (Large Port) is very good and about a equal to the W-2. Really stepping up to the plate is ethier the Indy head or the MoPar W-8 head that is also made for the standard block. Brodix also has a S/B head in aluminum.

The W2's, W5's or Commando heads are still the best out there for a full on fire breathing monster. The Eddy and Magnum heads are my choice for a killer street strip motor. IIRC the Commando and W series heads (not including the Econo w2's) all require their own intake and offset rockers. The Commando might accept factory intakes but I'm not sure....I know the W2's are oval port.

we chose INDY they make great hp. out of the box , We are running a 414 smallblock W INDYcyl. heads .The heads, rockers, and intake were less than $ 4000.00 .They make 50 hp. over our W2 heads we ran last year.
000_0033.jpg
[/IMG]
dyno414.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0039.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0285-1.jpg
[/IMG]

The W5's are the best of the bunch, they are a step above W2's and are slightly better than the new large port Commandos. They all need work though as they are not optimized out of the box. My 360 cid W5 3060 pound Duster ran 10.50 with an MP crate short block, not much more than a stock short block. This is with a .630 lift Hughes/Engle flat tappet cam.

You can check out Shady Dell Speed Shop's web site for flow numbers of various heads. http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/

Note also that the Mopar heads are using smaller valves than the other heads. My W5's still use the stock 2.02/1.60 valve sizes. I'm sure I can pick up a good bit with a 2.08 intake.

Thats the head to use now. I couldn't stand the fact that the W-5 needed to have the intake modified when they first came out. It was to confusing at first and then I just said screw it.

Welcome to the site Daredude.

As of right now, if you want a better head than Edelbrocks for ethier a killer street ride or racing, the Comando head is where it starts. The LP (Large Port) is very good and about a equal to the W-2. Really stepping up to the plate is ethier the Indy head or the MoPar W-8 head that is also made for the standard block. Brodix also has a S/B head in aluminum.

Just a point of clarification the W8 is for 48 degree lifter blocks only. I understand it can be modified to work on the 59 degree blocks though I have no personal experience with this. Mopar does however make a W9 for the 59 degree block and if you are buying all new stuff anyway this would be the way to go for a maximum effort 59 degree small block.

Ahhhhh, thank you. Yes, that would be an error on mybehalf saying W-8 when indeed it is the W-9 head I was describing.
GJ, you wouldn't happen to know what they cost would you? List/racers & if someone knew someone at near cost...??????

Ahhhhh, thank you. Yes, that would be an error on mybehalf saying W-8 when indeed it is the W-9 head I was describing.
GJ, you wouldn't happen to know what they cost would you? List/racers & if someone knew someone at near cost...??????

The W9's you mean right? I can get prices, I just have to remember to do it when I'm at work. I'll write myself a note (sometimes that works).

Another note, W5s havent been cast in several years. However, Ryan is working with MP on trying to get a revised version available. The ones made have a terrible attrition rate because of poor casting. Ryan says in the neighborhood of one set in four was GOOD. Like, usable good. They can go quite a ways beyond the LP Comandos on a 59° block tho.

LOL, your right about the W-5 head. When a good set gets ported well, they can really propel your race car well.

GJ, yes, the W-9 for the stock block lifter angle if you please.

These 5's appear to be a decent design. Good flow with the reasonably small valves and runners. Probably translates into good velocity. I had a pair of the lp commando's on my bench but sent them packing 'cause they wouldn't mate up to my headers (years ago). My loss. Now I don't care what I have to do. These will be my next installment..............
IMG_0671.jpg

newpix003.jpg

newpix001.jpg

......... when I locate an R3 at a resonable cost. Till then, the 5's will fill the void.

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

newpix003.jpg

newpix003.jpg

newpix001.jpg

newpix001.jpg

Len, those don't look like any W5's I've ever seen.

That's not surprising. These are W7's. They, will be the next step to, "lack of" common sense. I bought these two years ago, when I couldn't locate any W5's. They will be on stand-by for now...............

OK, it all becomes clear now. Of course Mopar quit making them awhile ago also.

Sorry Rumblefish, I keep forgetting. Forgot to order stuff for the race car too. I'm going to be in trouble this weekend.

GJ, no problem, I have nothing but time.

from what im told, the W9 59 degree heads dont make power like a W5 will. the raised port W9 48 degree heads will but they are big $$$$$ and take exotic parts on them and need custom headers, you would have a fortune in them. i think Ryan J has some new castings W9's heads for sale. my W5 362 CI motor made 609 hp on the dyno, the one Ryan J uses. mine are converted to my 48 degree block and have a Indy intake (oval port ) converted to the W5 heads with a 4500 flange and a hogans sheet metal intake with a 4500 flange. W5's are the best bang for the money if you find a set that dont leak once they are ported or buy some ready to go. still a few new sets of castings floating around, ebay / racingjunk. and TTI makes a nice 1 7/8 race header for them.
Bob

-
Back