SMALL BLOCK HEADS

-
I allways wondered how GM figured there 375 horsepower rating of there top of the line 327...those cars never seemed to run like you expect
the shop i go to has dyno tested many stock chevy engines and going by him non have made the claimed power , mopars on the other hand are under rated they always make or exceed factory claims

the shop i go to has dyno tested many stock chevy engines and going by him non have made the claimed power , mopars on the other hand are under rated they always make or exceed factory claims

In this video there close ish to factory power rating, but ya the 340 is definitely under rated, also mopar stock cam is more like an RV cam compared to these Chevs.

I have a set here for a customer of sbc #462 heads 1964-66 going on this little 265 w/ a bore of about 3.869 "283 bore" I'm going through and refreshing. I'll have to put them on the bench, they're a 1.94 intake.

Just curious of what you'd prefer. Speaking of stock 318 2bbl engine, per say for conversation, in a '87 Diplomat. Would you prefer a 4bbl installed replacing the 2bbl all else remains unchanged or headers with 2.5 duals replacing the single exhaust/cat system? IF you could only do one of the mods to the car to lower the ET max, which would it be?
headers and 2.5 exhaust would be best i m o m can i put in a bigger 2bbl at the same time ?

headers and 2.5 exhaust would be best i m o m can i put in a bigger 2bbl at the same time ?
In the scenario I gave, I would prefer the exhaust over the 4bbl. Obviously, both exhaust work and 4bbl would be best.

I don’t know the various sizes of the 2bbl. carbs installed on the various engines used through out the years. I would head straight for the 4bbl. carb and never look back or cry about it.

For general purposes, a 600 cfm carb is what you’ll want on a dual plane intake. This combo will cover a lot of ground.

-
Back