small block hemi?

-

74duster

Reaction score
Looking through an old Mopar Muscle, I found a reference to a company that was making a hemi head setup for small blocks. I haven't heard of this setup before, and was wondering if anyone is running hemi heads on their small blocks or not. Anybody know anything about these?

there was a post on these here the other day you may want to look for it i remember it said that kit was 8,000 dollars though that is a lot of money if you ask me but thats just my opinion i would rather put another 4 grand together and buy a 426 but i dont have that money anyway so i dont have to worry anyway. Justin

I must have missed that post about them the other day. I have to agree with you, $8000 is an awful lot of money to spend on something like that. It would be cool though!

"Rod and Cuustom machine" builds these kits. You use your block,rods and crank. They supply pistons, complete heads, intake, exhaust, etc. Quality is outstanding, but yes, it would need to be for the cost. $8000.00 is about right.

yeah i agree it would be cool but i think i will just look at it on someone else's car and save my money for a RB hemi. Its just not worth it to me for a small block you could make a much meaner stroker small block and still have some money left over it just wouldnt have the visual impact of a hemi headed smallblock but in my case id rather have mine fast than looking cool. Again that is just my opinion If someone wants to do it they should go for it its just not gonna be me. Justin

The 426 kit is $2500 bucks http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=12603&eTypeID=1

I am sure time you are done with everything I am sure you are right in that range of 8 grand though

The kit they are selling is a stroker kit to 426 ci. They are using Eldebrock heads

426 c.i "Hemi-sized" Small Block Basic Parts List:

• 360 Magnum Block - Race Prepped Kit Block
Modifications which allowed the use of a standard oil pump – P/NKITBLOCKSB

• 426 c.i. stroker kit, forged pistons, forged crank, “H” beam rods – 426RACE kit

• 360 Main bearing girdle – 7328K• Edelbrock Magnum heads with StageIII porting – 4610 – S3• Head drilled for L.A. intake

• Bolts, ARP – for Magnum heads – P/N7181M

• Rocker arms – 1.6 ratio with poly-locks – P/N1536-16

• Pushrods – oil thru chromoly, hardened for use with guide plates – P/N5260

• Camshafts tested: Hydraulic rollers – HER3642AL, HER4246AL, HER6468AL

• Intakes tested: RPM, 340 Victor, Super Victor

(intakes were tested both stock and deep port matched with balanced flow)

RPM Intake (air gap style) – P/N5303 340 Victor – P/N5308

Super Victor – P/N5316

NOTE: These are L.A. intakes that could be used with the Magnum heads

because the L.A. bolt pattern was drilled into the Magnum heads.P/N1196

for iron heads and P/N1197 for aluminum heads

• Timing chain – ProGear, Double roller with the 7 key way “cam-dex” cam sprocket

where all cam adjustments are made from the cam sprocket (much

easier than the crank sprocket) –P/N6442

• Tensioner, timing chain – P/N 7013

• Pan, oil

Stock style, Ram truck – P/N6101 Moroso (modified for use with main girdle) rear sump per customer – P/N6120

• Carb – Demon 750 – P/N5402010GC

• Spring, valve, double spring – P/N1111

Beehive style – P/N1122 • Damper – BHJ P/N64816

• Dipstick, quick disconnect (Piercy type) – P/N6960
• Pump, oil, Standard pressure, standard volume – P/N6602

The one from Rod and Custom Machine uses Hemi heads but not worth the price.

They have been advertizing those hemi set ups from rod and custom machine for a few years now, but I have not seen anyone with one between their fenders other than the ones on their website which by the way, has not changed since I first looked at it years ago.

I think it looks great and would be a great addition to a show car, but I have been told that it would be not much more than a cool street motor and is really a waste of money geared more toward the guys with larger bank accounts than most that can afford to try one out.

The fact that the price has not come down in years and I've never seen anyone on any mopar site post pics of "their" rod and custom machine hemi small block tells it all.

It would be cool to see a few as they look really, really cool, but for that price, sorry.

I'd say if they cut the price by a few grand, they just might sell a few more, but I guess they are still pretty proud of what they have to offer.

-
Back