Small block idler pulley

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I have a small block 74 Cuda with AC and manual steering. It has a redneck engineered idler pully in place of the power steering pump pulley. Does anyone have a picture of the stock idler pulley bracket for a small block they can share with me, preferably a picture on the engine would be helpful.

In later years Chrysler used one on the small block. I forget what was deleted… I think it was the lack of A/C got the idler pulley.

The proper pulleys fix that.

This is from a '68 with the cast iron water pump. Your '74 could be different.

100_0588.JPG

Small block with AC had an idler pulley I have one around here somewhere but no way I would be able to find it. It was a V pulley, not flat like pictured above.

Small block with AC had an idler pulley I have one around here somewhere but no way I would be able to find it. It was a V pulley, not flat like pictured above.
On my '69, factory AC, the passengers side had V groove idler and drivers side smooth like in that photo. Both idlers were for the single belt AC setup.

I have a small block 74 Cuda with AC and manual steering. It has a redneck engineered idler pully in place of the power steering pump pulley. Does anyone have a picture of the stock idler pulley bracket for a small block they can share with me, preferably a picture on the engine would be helpful.

This

Pulley ID thread

Come on guys, manual steering does not have a power steering pump.

Good luck finding an A/C car without power steering.
Original owner of my '69 special ordered it manual steering manual disc brakes and AC. Then he went nuts and added all the other factory options available upgraded interior AM FM radio and everything else. The original crank pulley has a groove for the PS belt. I didnt ask him why manual steering manual brakes. Guy prob wanted a rawer feel to the car, who knows, but it wasn't lack of budget.

Last edited:
for 1970 small blocks there are an entirely different set of pulleys and belt pairings for AC cars and non-AC cars. In that system the AC and alternator run on a double belt. Did you car actually come with AC and no power steering - I don't think I have ever seen one like that before.

I have one hanging in the garage and a picture of one on the engine. I can get a pic of the idler and pulley but the picture-I will have to dig for. They are rare. If I remember it mounts on the passenger side and uses a real short belt, a 13371.

This was from a 70 Duster, 318, AC and manual steering. It was the first and only one I have ever seen. So they are RARE!!

for 1970 small blocks there are an entirely different set of pulleys and belt pairings for AC cars and non-AC cars. In that system the AC and alternator run on a double belt. Did you car actually come with AC and no power steering - I don't think I have ever seen one like that before.
I don't have any paperwork for this car, so what it came with originally is impossible to tell. My dad owned the car for 15 years or so and was like that when he bought it. It is possible it was converted to manual steering for header clearance, I don't know.

Pictures and part numbers for the bracket and idler pulley can be found in the 1974 Chrysler parts catalog. Look in Group 7 in parts catalog which is available at Mymopar.

Pictures and part numbers for the bracket and idler pulley can be found in the 1974 Chrysler parts catalog. Look in Group 7 in parts catalog which is available at Mymopar.
Looked up the info, hoping for the best. None of the pictures of the pulley setups matched the situation I have. I believe all the engines had power steering so that didn't help much. I have an idler arm bracket and pulley already that does not appear to be a Mopar item as there are no part numbers on it. For now, I will modify the existing setup to be stronger and more factory looking. I think my son wants to put on a tubular k-frame with rack and pinion steering so a power steering pump is in the future and the situation will resolve itself. Thanks for the inputs!

-
Back