Small block oil restriction

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
I have a block that has had a tube installed in the right side oil galley to allow using a roller lifters.

Can you use a flat tappet solid lifter with this modification?

is it a magnum head or la head

Why would it matter?
I think he has an "LA" block myself. But if it is a Magnum block, it would be a roller set up anyway. Is there a benifit to doing this if it is all ready a roller block?

Yes - no problem. The lifters are lubed by splash in the valley - just like rollers.

Why would it matter?
I think he has an "LA" block myself. But if it is a Magnum block, it would be a roller set up anyway. Is there a benifit to doing this if it is all ready a roller block?

The Magnum rocker arms are lubed via the oil galley in the block. The oil pressure makes it's way through the lifter, into the hollow pushrod, and out to the rocker.

This is why you can't easily put LA heads on a Magnum block except for early production Magnum blocks which had the oil passage drilled in the deck surface.

Thanks for the replies.
It is a LA block.
Wasn't sure if the splash oiling would be enough for it.

You can always drill a very small hole - Cannot recall exact size, through the tubing into the oil galley to allow lifter body oiling of the solid or roller lifter. A must if you have lifters that have pressurized oiling for the rollers or EDM oiling of the solid lifter face.

-
Back