Small block oiling issue

-
I changed the oil at 3000 miles since I've had it but it looks like the damage was already done before I got it. I am going to take it apart to see if there is any severe damage to the crank,rods or block. It's a good thing I didn't toss out the other block,crank & rods just in case.

Pic #4 is what all came out of the pick up. There is bearing slivers & other gunk in there.

Engine rebuild time! You gonna up the performance of it now that its all apart?

Nah,just going to swap in the rebuilt 340 & trans I had sitting on the stand. I am going to take it apart & let the shop look it over before I put it in storage. I have a spare block,crank,heads & rods from another 67 273 I took apart.

balanced 340

Attachments

• Picture 1235.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture 1238.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 161
I am having the same issue with my motor. low oil pressure to the heads. At start up I am getting 40 lbs. as soon as the engine gets warmed up the pressure drops to 20 psi and at idle drops to 10 psi. I swapped out the cam last year but did not do the cam bearings. Also installed new double roller timing chain and gears. Dropped the oil pan and found a fiber like substance in the pickup. Changed the pickup and oil pump and replaced the oil pump to distributor shaft but no help. My car has been mothballed for over a year now due to work schedule and no time to work on it. Eventually i will remove motor and either do complete rebuild or just look for another motor.

I have approx.15000 miles on my rebuild and from day 1 I have had great oil PSI. When cold I have 80# and after it warms up I have between 70-75#... 10w-40 Pennzoil...

If you are going to run headers you will need that oil filter to face the rear.

They made 2 different oil filter adapters. The 1 from my original motor faces the rear but this 1 faces to the front & is 70-up. I am going to run headers but there isn't room for the oil adapter so I have to use the std filter set up. The #2 & #4 mains feed the cam & then it feeds the heads. The #4 feeds the PS head & #2 feeds the DS head.

Attachments

• Picture 078.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 150
On my 67 Dart, Hedman headers (won't ever make THAT mistake again) I just run the "straight out" filter adapter, no 90 needed.

They made 2 different oil filter adapters. The 1 from my original motor faces the rear but this 1 faces to the front & is 70-up. I am going to run headers but there isn't room for the oil adapter so I have to use the std filter set up. The #2 & #4 mains feed the cam & then it feeds the heads. The #4 feeds the PS head & #2 feeds the DS head.

Their clockable so you can turn it to any position you want. I originally had a 70 and up style on my Cuda and turned it so it faced the rear so it'd clear the Hookers.

It doesn't matter how much I rotate this 1 it still doesn't put the oil filter the way my original 67 adapter. I'm thinking of adding a remote filter kit to make it easier to change the filter without dumping oil all over the headers during a filter change.

It doesn't matter how much I rotate this 1 it still doesn't put the oil filter the way my original 67 adapter. I'm thinking of adding a remote filter kit to make it easier to change the filter without dumping oil all over the headers during a filter change.

Humm.... That must be one I haven't seen. I thought there was only 2 different ones but maybe there was more??? A remote filter kit sure is nice. I have one on my cuda and love it. No more spilling oil on the headers when changing oil. You do have to wrap a rag around the filter when removing it because oil in the filter will spill onto the inner fender but I found 1 trick that minimizes that. Punching a hole in the top of the filter with an awl lets it drain back most of the oil in it so very little spills out. After it's drained for 15-20 minutes I put a piece of duct tape over the hole I punched so residual oil comes out when I remove it. I also have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler plumbed into it to keep the oil cooler when running it hard. Here are some pics of my setup. You'll notice I deleted the 90* adapter and plumbed it off of where the oil filter would normally screw on. There are other methods of doing it too. Just thought I'd show you mine.

Attachments

• DSC03106.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC03105.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC03110.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC03108.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 117
It's time. Lots of nasty lookin stuff in the pan.

Nice set up! Where did you get the kit from?

Thank you. I got the relocation kit gave to me by a friend. He was at a yard sale and got it in a box with some other stuff for $5. All brand new stuff too. Can ya beat that! The oil temp. thermostat and cooler came from Summit.

I have Headman Headers on my 340 and I am not using an adapter, just a TG16 Fram short filter and I know someone will say Fram filters are junk, well everyone has their opinons. I have been running Fram since 1974 and I have not had any issues, no leaks, drips etc.... JMO...

-
Back