small block or big block 66 dart gt???

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Hi, Ok I have my 66 dart pretty much done.. 273 , vintage air, etc... the question is: I have a change to pick up a 66 440 motor complete , just needs to be assembled for $400.. What do you think about putting it in my dart?? pros, cons, any advise???????? thanks, John

Stay with the small block. You have a beautiful car and a 273 belongs in there.
B's and RB's don't fit well in early A's. 68's and newer were made for big blocks.
Like ryansiki says below, a 408 stroker if you need more power.

Did someone say 408 stroker in a 66 Dart?LOL
car pics 66 Dart 145.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 145.jpg

Stroker small block if you want a lot of power, the early A is a mother!

I have a 64, less weight and will handle a little better too, but a big block can be done.

Just another note, you need a trans upgrade, rear end, drive shaft, frame stiffing, and a ,ot of suspension mods too if you want to do it right!

OH AND BIG BRAKES :)

Picture 002 (Large).jpg

I agree with the above that the stroked sb would be the easiest and simplest way. Don't get me wrong the BB would be killer. There are a few here that are doing it.

Pettyblue, very nice! What kinda' headers you got there with what size primaries? PITA to install? I am going 408 and need bigger primaries than the dougs 1-5/8

Pettyblue, very nice! What kinda' headers you got there with what size primaries? PITA to install? I am going 408 and need bigger primaries than the dougs 1-5/8
They are Hedman Huslers part #75110-66,1 7/8 primaries.Yes they are a bit of a PITA to install,but was ready for it after advise from few members.Alot of cutting/fitting for the headers also had to notch my K-member for clearance with the Mildoon pan.I had first got the Dougs through Summit(too small)sent them back and got these.I got the coated ones to keep the heat down.They were pricey,but planned on only buying once.:cheers:

car pics 66 Dart 141.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 144.jpg

I'd suggest keep the 273 in your dart.

Also, Get the 440 for that price, if machined and ready for assembly, its a steal.

Buy something else to shoe-horn the 440 into. (Like 67 or newer dart or something bigger).

keep the 273 or go with another small block.

Don't forget that Mopar uses different tranny/bellhousings
for each type engine.
Slant 6, small block, big block each use a different tranny/bellhousing.

Buy the 440 because the price is cheap, assemble it and get it dyno'ed, then sell it to finance your stroker....

-
Back