small block pulleys

-

duster-z

Reaction score
i have put a 1978 360 in my 72 plymouth duster and ran into a problem with the power steering pump pulley linning up to the rest

all of the pulleys and brackets and power steering pump came off of a 1973 340

the machine shop told me that the harmonic balancer is actually off of a 318 i dont know if this effects any thing

i have been running it how it is since it is my daily driver and the belt has started twisting

any suggestions would be of great help

Attachments

• DSCN2140.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,792
yes it make a difference if you use a 318 balancer on a 360. a 360 is externally balanced
(did the machine shop balance the engine internally?) a 360 needs a 360 balancer. does the engine vibrate any?
If the belt keeps twisting, the alignment is off or belt tension is wrong.

That's a strange looking belt drive setup, IMO.

I have the same power steering pump...same number and type of accessories. I have one belt that goes from the crank pulley, to the water pump pulley, to the alternator, and then back to the crank. This is in the groove closest to the engine block. The second belt runs from the crank pulley over to the P/S pump.

Even more bizarre is that it looks like you have the same P/S bracket and pump I do, but that your P/S pump pulley is on backwards when compared to mine (all original stuff for my car).

Is that setup for A/C?

i have put a 1978 360 in my 72 plymouth duster and ran into a problem with the power steering pump pulley linning up to the rest

all of the pulleys and brackets and power steering pump came off of a 1973 340

the machine shop told me that the harmonic balancer is actually off of a 318 i dont know if this effects any thing

i have been running it how it is since it is my daily driver and the belt has started twisting

any suggestions would be of great help

you have the wrong pulleys on that car. that water pump pulley is a A/C car pulley. the non A/C pulley is deeper and does not run the PS.

what you need is a crank pulley with two grooves. the rear groove will go crank,water pump and then the alt. the front crank pulley groove only runs the power steering.

you will need the correct pulley for the crank also. the non a/c water pump pulley is a larger diameter and will not fit with an a/c crank pulley.

this is how it should be..

DSC02495.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

here is the difference between the a/c and non a/c pulley for the water pump. chrome on is non a/c and the black one is an a/c pulley.

DSCN5193.jpg

DSCN5194.jpg

as far as the balancer goes i don't know how it doesn't vibrate like hell. a 360 like stated is externally balanced, it has a different balancer and weightes in the converter then the 318.

Thanks abodyjoe, this helps me out a lot! I am going to have the same set up.

This really should be added to the tech archive.

Cameron

thanks for all of the replies i havent had a chance to check back on here in a wile. it was a original 340 ac car i got all of the pulleys off of and i plan on hooking the a/c back up in the summer and it had the 318 balancer on the 360 when i got it and i didnt know until i put it in and it shook so bad it destroyed the rod berrings and the entire engine was out of balance about 500 grams so the machine shop completly rebalanced the engine and it runs smooth now as for the pulley problem i went to the junk yard and found a different 318 crank pulley with 4 grooves that lined right up with the p/s pump and water pump pullley with two groves that also lined up

again thanks for all of the help.

i really like the wheels on your dart "abodyjoe" did you order them from some where

This helped me out immesible...thank you for taking the time to upload the pics..!

Best Regards

-
Back