Small block with a six pack

-

QWKSLVR

Reaction score
Hi. My brother is finally installing the six pack he bought years ago. Can anyone tell me if the throttle cable is different between a four barrel and a six pack? He has a 1973 Duster with the original 340. Thanks. Bobby

It is longer, I have been told that a stock one will work but is tight. It is a different part #

throttle cable.jpg

just installed mine in 1970 340 swinger 4speed as brian six said it is a little longer but I just did a swoop and there it is :rolleyes:

I'm not to the point of a throttle cable yet but this is great info. Thanks.

20160404_195738.jpg

QWKSLVR, I do believe the cable is longer but do not know if the stock 4bbl. cable works.

72Dart6pack;

I'm right along side you. I'm going to order up a manual choke set up since I'll be running Edelbrock heads. No heat source for the remote choke.

I opted for the Pro Max base plate for the rear carb (angled screws) and secondary metering plate replacements for jets.

QWKSLVR, I do believe the cable is longer but do not know if the stock 4bbl. cable works.

72Dart6pack;

I'm right along side you. I'm going to order up a manual choke set up since I'll be running Edelbrock heads. No heat source for the remote choke.

I opted for the Pro Max base plate for the rear carb (angled screws) and secondary metering plate replacements for jets.

I read a great tip on some decades old literature regarding adjusting the outboard carbs on Mopars. The guy said simply swap the rear carb to the front when setting the A/F screws on the base plate, and once adjusted, swap it back. They are easy to access when its on the front of the manifold.

I run the mechanical Direct Connection carbs, and those only idle from the center carb. No screws to adjust on the outboards. I'll have a nice set of freshly rebuilt #4782 & 4783's up for sale in about a month if anyone is interested. Once you run them, you will never go back to the stockers.

I'd love to be a set it f those.
Thy wallet is a bit thin these days. :(

Thanks for all the help. He just got it back today from his carb guy and it looks great. I must admit I'm jealous. On the positive side he said I could use his cross ram on mine so I just might do that. It's going to be a few weeks before it is installed so we'll try the original cable at that time and see how it fits. Bobby

what kind of bucks are you looking to get out of the outboard and the center carbs jbc426 ?

Thanks for all the help. He just got it back today from his carb guy and it looks great. I must admit I'm jealous. On the positive side he said I could use his cross ram on mine so I just might do that. It's going to be a few weeks before it is installed so we'll try the original cable at that time and see how it fits. Bobby
Ricky did this, well it will be harder to follow him around now.

what kind of bucks are you looking to get out of the outboard and the center carbs jbc426 ?

Not sure yet. They look like new and are being fully rebuilt by C&S Specialties. I've been looking around for another set lately, and have not seen a set of them for sale in years.

72Dart6pack;

I've dealt with that rear plate, be VERY conservative w/the torque on the base screws, even with just the paper gasket the shaft is so tight in the plate it starts dragging/
binding if You're just a touchee too tight. That doesn't do well w/vacuum operation!

Last edited:
I purchased multiples of each color of vac. sec. springs from Holley, I mean ALL of them, then set up a fixture to match a "perfect pair" on my gram scale for each color. Doesn't
do any good when one of the outboards shafts has more friction than the other............ oh, and the jet plates, like 'em, but be aware the toe of the floats can make contact w/the
new plates because of the thickness........they said to bend the float hangers....or machine a cove in the plate...........ask me how I know.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK! Story time! Who's plates did you use? There is the Pro Max plates as well as the Quick Fuel plates.

They were all Promaxx pieces, haven't seen QF's plates, 440 'cuda ran great as the jetting got dialed in, but the owner was fastidious and kept checking the bowl screws,..which
is fine,..but then started getting flooded start and popping/misfire issues on the road. Sitting in the garage I pinched the fuel hose & let the fuel levels run low, then had him
restart it w/the hose open & watched the levels come up to the site plugs....looked OK, but out on the road was a different matter! I had the bowls off once & didn't notice any
witness marks & checked the clutch screws, seemed OK there again. At the time I had a lot going on, and cruising season was over, so I had to back-burner the issue. We had
talked about it again, & he had a contact w/a racer that ran 6bbls alot, He had also encountered the issue, and that the contact would occur in motion(G's pulling back on the
floats,fuel slosh etc.), a call to Pro Maxx was like"oh yeah, that happens all the time" w/the previously posted suggestions, AFTER the owner had told them He was having this
issue and w/o telling him to check for this interference specifically ...the racer ordered std. style plates that replicated My jetting...................I'm sure we could've done the mods
to keep 'em, but this customer is an extreme "A" type, so he just wanted them gone,lol!

jbc426 , i've got some . but have a nos outbourd for a 340 stick setup i believe , i'll double check to make sure . but rven not . i'm interested doing a few 6pcks setups , love the look and power on tap .

I would try a slant six cable.
I know that the all original '70 Challenger R/T 440 6 pack car that my brother had in the late '70s used one.
He had to replace it and the part # was the same as a slant six one, which is longer than the V8 4 bbl cars..........

Jean-Guy we'll have to lead and he will follow us. Bobby

Thanks Dartnut. I was checking the lengths of different cables and noticed that the six was a little longer, also the c body uses a longer cable. Bobby

Jean-Guy we'll have to lead and he will follow us. Bobby

Thanks Dartnut. I was checking the lengths of different cables and noticed that the six was a little longer, also the c body uses a longer cable. Bobby

One problem, even if we lead but he passes us then what?

-
Back