Small Block X-Head Gurus in NC ...

-
If you still have the factory cam for that engine, it would be ineresting to see what it measures at .004 etc. Doubly so if its a 4 speed cam.
It's trashed... 5 of the 16 lifters I got out. the others are all mushroomed and worn ... 113k miles on it ... rod and main journals are beautiful though(check a couple rod and pulled one main cap)

I wouldn't be so fussy about 'local'. You can ship them anywhere in the US pretty easily.
$$$$ .... fuckers are heavy for shipping ...I'm used to aluminum LS stuff ... I've picked up assembled LS short blocks before no problem .. not anymore LOL

IMO the most important thing to do is cc them. Pistons are above deck but the cc for them can be figured out as well.
That and knowing the flow numbers will let you pick a cam.
There's various published flow numbers for X-heads (stan weiss has a big collection, there's also some here on FABO). So if you can't get them floewed you still can have an idea. As 66f posted a good valve job will go a long way.
Any matching between the intake and heads should focus on possible offset of the side walls. There seems to be alot of variationin port to manifold bolt holes from head to head. I don't see an issue if the intake side is a little smaller. Arguably some advantage in keeping velocity up and anti-reversion. I do see a problem when the air flow along a side wall or roof of the intake has to make a step to get into the head. Exhaust side can have the same alignment issues.
Thats what I was thinking. An updated seat for 93 octane with a good 5 angle valve job hand blended into the ports and the chamber,the rest I could just clean up myself

If you wear an N95 mask while porting, you will still taste cast iron in your mouth, but you won't risk transmitting the corona virus to others around you, even if they are people who might as well get sick and die. It's a tough call.
Ive been a Boilermaker for 20+ years..a little cast iron dust wont kill me LOL

Thats what I was thinking. An updated seat for 93 octane with a good 5 angle valve job hand blended into the ports and the chamber,the rest I could just clean up myself
11/32 guides, chevy +.100 length valves work perfectly, new seats and can get the valve job nice and not sunk, plenty of room for a nice bowl blend...that's what I'd do!

I had King Machine balance a flywheel and then a pressure plate. He did drop Herb McCandless' name, as in he did work for him. Definitely worth stopping in, to talk to him. Maybe bring the heads. I worked in Greensboro for a couple years and enjoyed being there.

Got a buddy who has been mid 9’s with 308 heads on a low compression stock stroke 340.

Is it low compression because he is running a twin turbo setup with 22lbs of boost? :lol:

All motor. Vic Bloomer. Anybody who knows him knows the car. Most impressive small block i have seen

Totally agree--don't forget he had that A-body on an impressive diet. Only met him once--nice guy. J.Rob

Herb's operation was till building street cars as of 2019, but mostly I was thinking that he could suggest a machine shop to do the job

I highly recommend running a valve train that's already been designed. It would be extremely expensive to design something new. Cool lookin project though.

I definitely dont consider myself any type of "guru" but got his heads whipped into shape...washed, blasted, mag checked, bronze guides, 8 hardend exhaust seats, manley race flo valves, multiangle valve job, cut for positive seals, spring seats cut for PAC ovate beehive springs, PAC retainers and locks, surfaced and assembled...they turned out really nice!
20210403_133035.jpg

I definitely dont consider myself any type of "guru" but got his heads whipped into shape...washed, blasted, mag checked, bronze guides, 8 hardend exhaust seats, manley race flo valves, multiangle valve job, cut for positive seals, spring seats cut for PAC ovate beehive springs, PAC retainers and locks, surfaced and assembled...they turned out really nice!View attachment 1715718224
Look like brand new. Not bad for 53 year old parts! (05/29/1967 date coded heads).

-
Back