Small Single Exhaust!

-

Teeth & Tires

A-retentive
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The mate to the Big Single Exhaust thread...

So I'm doing my half-*** resto on a 69 Barracuda with original, unmolested 318, stock heads and 2bbl carb. I'm liking the 2 into 1 "Y" pipe from Accurate and I want a standard, "quiet" muffler essentially following the factory setup.

The complete kit from Accurate uses a 1 7/8" pipe after the Y but they offer the option of a 2 1/4" outlet.

Would there be any benefit/advantage to the larger diameter or any potential drawbacks to using it?

My first thought is that even a standard muffler will flow better at 2 1/4" than a smaller diameter.

In my opinion no drawback at all using the larger pipe they offer, unless it's crazy money for the upgrade?

$20 bucks for the Y assembly to exit in the larger diameter. Then I'd have the locals bend the rest of it with a standard muffler.

I have a single 2 1/4 on my dart with a 2 bbl 273 and love it.

..and what of that 1 7/8" pipe size? I assume Accurate is using it because that's what the factory used. So, is that the optimum all-purpose tube size for a stock 318? I worry that the crush-bends will choke down the exhaust even further.

we just got a LTD kit for the 69 M code cuda were doing a resto on, fits like a charm but was spendy at 1100 bucks! thats an m code for you though...

anyways i think the stock mani's are 2" or 2.25 so i would run dual (of those) into a single 3". just take it to a muffler shop and have him do it, be under 400 bucks. for the muffler just find one you like on summit or look around on here for sound bites.

Just want to allow the stock mill to be as lively as it can be while operating in its mainstay low rpm range. 3" won't do anything for me there. I also don't want the car to sound more 'bad-***' than it actually is.

Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

not really, burned valves are comman without back pressure since then engine flows much greater volumes then it was made for; creating more heat

dont believe me take your exhaust off and go for a 2 hour drive and see how the engine works afterwards!

-
Back