Smallblock gear drive ?

-

71dart

Reaction score
THis may seem to be a stupid question but what is the easiest way to shorten the fuel pump eccentric ? I am going to install a gear drive and it says to shorten the eccentric by 1/4"

THanks in advance

Mike

Chuck it an get an elec pump!LOL
id say take it to a machine shop an hav them mill it down for ya
MIKE

71dart said:
THis may seem to be a stupid question but what is the easiest way to shorten the fuel pump eccentric ? I am going to install a gear drive and it says to shorten the eccentric by 1/4"

THanks in advance

Mike

:scratch: This may be a more stupid question.... why would you need to shorten the fuel pump eccentric at all?? What brand and part number gear drive are you using?

Got Dart!

It is a milidon gear drive and the directions say you need to shorten the eccentric 1/4" to use a mechanical fuel pump. I haven''t got it yet but I am assuming that the gear drive must be thicker than a chain drive gear so it will need to be shorten to keep it from rubbing the cover.

Just my guess.

Mike

Yes the geardrive is thicker then the chain i found out the hard way after i pulled the geardrive off my dads 318 an put it on my car with the ecc.an crack there goes the timing cover,luckly i had two more covers in the shed,now i run an elec. pump so no more probs.
MIKE

Sorry, nothing to do with the post, but 71dart, that is one awsome garage! I wish mine was that big and clean!

You got your info yet?
I had to shave down mine as well, no big deal. On my 318, I went from a single to dubble chain and the leading edge of the eccentic was rubbing on the cover, not a good thing. I just removed it, measured and cut, smoothed out the edges. not sure about your new drive, however hopefully there will be ample clearance still for your pump arm still. (and there will be if your new drive is purduced for mopar) Wish I had one, they sound cool...like a blower.

DSCF0020.JPG

Just got it fired up! And it sounds just like I wanted. Glad I did it now,

Sounds great!

Whitezombie thanks for your help.

Mike

Same here I love the sound of a gear drive and most people look at you funny when you say that. As far as I am concerened Muscle cars should sound like they has a set of balls hanging underneath if you know what I mean!

need to get one of those my exhaust sounds realy mean and the mechanical rollercam makes wonderfull sounds to but i dont have that geardrive sound!!

Yah for sure, there's nothin like looking up to see what's coming your way or turning to see whats coming from behind with that drive sound then the deep sound of the exhaust ripping into and through your gut, man... almost gives a guy a w**dy. Too bad their so $$. 8)

69signetv8 said:
Yah for sure, there's nothin like looking up to see what's coming your way or turning to see whats coming from behind with that drive sound then the deep sound of the exhaust ripping into and through your gut, man... almost gives a guy a w**dy. Too bad their so $$. 8)

Yup thats why I don't have one right now.

I've never found it necessary to install one. Even with the very tight piston to valve clearance I have now I've not had a problem. That money could be going towards something else more usable. To each their own though, I suppose if I had unlimited money to spend I would probably have a belt drive set up, but it's certainly not high on my list.

Yeah... I'm a lover of noise too. Granted the $300+ admission is a bit steep, but I'll probably get a gear drive eventually.

After the wife forgets about the $1,300 cylinder heads I just bought....:toothy5:

They sound sick as hell comin up to a light droppin into 1st,LOL nasty like girl she is,haha an it sound sick from the front comin at ya wide open!had the girlfriend take it for spin why i followed her to see the beast movin with my own two eyes
MIKE

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
They sound sick as hell comin up to a light droppin into 1st,LOL nasty like girl she is,haha an it sound sick from the front comin at ya wide open!had the girlfriend take it for spin why i followed her to see the beast movin with my own two eyes
MIKE

HEHE I like having a buddy or my girlfriend take mine for a spin also, just to stand back and watch to see how awesome it looks and sounds coming down the road.

tried to get my father to take my car for a ride so i could hear and see it moving but he refused he said he wont put himself in that driver seat even if he got paid to do it...
he said so after he saw what that 340 is capable of making 2 long black lines after full trhotle from ca 30 mph.....

-
Back