Smog laws, in your state: What's Happening?...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Currently in California: Most counties are pretty '75 exemption. (Marin county, completly exempt, last I knew....) Considering a life change, and a move. This is one of the considerations, I need to factor. So if you don't mind, share your same area situations..... Thanks, in advance...

Our state is divided. I believe the front range area is the only place that's required to test. The remaining part of the state is exempt. We test once every other year and earlier models have lower standards. I think we're exempt from testing cars are made before 74 or somewhere in there. If you get collector plates. If I lived five miles to the East I think I would be exempt too. But I don't. Emissions testing used to be private at one time. Then they decided the air was clean enough and virtually any and all cars were passing. The program was discontinued. Then all of the sudden it was like "Hocus Pocus" and then all the sudden we needed testing again. This time the state took over the testing.
If you like this area, we'd love to have you. You'll have to change your ways a little. I'll work with you on that part.

Our state is divided. I believe the front range area is the only place that's required to test. The remaining part of the state is exempt. We test once every other year and earlier models have lower standards. I think we're exempt from testing cars are made before 74 or somewhere in there. If you get collector plates. If I lived five miles to the East I think I would be exempt too. But I don't. Emissions testing used to be private at one time. Then they decided the air was clean enough and virtually any and all cars were passing. The program was discontinued. Then all of the sudden it was like "Hocus Pocus" and then all the sudden we needed testing again. This time the state took over the testing.
If you like this area, we'd love to have you. You'll have to change your ways a little. I'll work with you on that part.

Thanks, Karl. Appreciate the honesty..

there was a bill that was going to be passed to increase it to 85 and under but it didn't pass if I'm not mistaken.

what is emissions and a smog test ?? lol. A quick search came up with this but i know even on my my new vehicles they dont test anything special and just the usual lights/horn/tires and some will put it up and check the underneath components like ball joints and stuff.

we have the best maple syrup in the world and you can stop anywhere in the state and see mountains in all directions. but damn its colddddddddddddddddddd lol we sill have temps in the 30s and ice on the lakes.

On-board diagnostic systems (OBD) on 1996 and newer vehicles will be checked as part of Vermont’s annual vehicle inspection program

Here in mass only vehicles manufactured after 96 needs to pass emissions. Everything else is exempt. All vehicles must pass a safety test (horn, lights, tires, suspension). Testing is once a year and costs $35.

Here in mass only vehicles manufactured after 96 needs to pass emissions. Everything else is exempt. All vehicles must pass a safety test (horn, lights, tires, suspension). Testing is once a year and costs $35.

i was in Auburn a couple weeks ago for a bowling tourney lol

oh ya and our inspection cost is like 40 or 45$ and i think they used to charge less for cars not requiring emissions testing but not anymore

In california any car that is manufactured 1975 or before is emissions testing exempt. No inspection needed. For vehicles produced 1976 or after have the bi-annual emissions test.
We have no safety inspections here. If it passes emissions it could be duct taped and zip tied together and the state doesnt care..... Ive seen some pretty bad jury rigged vehicles around in certain areas.

There is however legislation in the works/under consideration to help vehicles manufactured 1976 or after provided they are 30 years old or more.
Its measure AB 550.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 255
In california any car that is manufactured 1975 or before is emissions testing exempt. No inspection needed. For vehicles produced 1976 or after have the bi-annual emissions test.
We have no safety inspections here. If it passes emissions it could be duct taped and zip tied together and the state doesnt care..... Ive seen some pretty bad jury rigged vehicles around in certain areas.

here people patch the rust with many different things because there can be no holes if its to pass safety inspection.

Missouri only emissions tests in saint Louis county, but safety inspections required for all non classic register cars statewide

Here in Az, well at least in Maricopa county, everything has to go through emissions from 67 up. Its pretty stupid if you ask me. Not many cars running around that old and getting them to pass is a joke because your just going to adjust it back where it was.

Currently in California: Most counties are pretty '75 exemp tion. (Marin county, completly exempt, last I knew....) Considering a life change, and a move. This is one of the considerations, I need to factor. So if you don't mind, share your same area situations..... Thanks, in advance...

PA just has emission testing for 1975 and newer. Also it depends on which County you live in. I live in Butler county and therefore am not required to get my vehicle emmisions tested. Also if you have classic plates (like mine) no emmisions test is reqired anywhere in the state. Antique plates do not require emmisions or inspection.

Wanna know what Kentucky's (Logan county at least) inspections consist of? You take your car to the sheriffs department, give them $5 and they come out, check the vin on the dash, door and check the odometer then run the vin to make sure its not stolen! And that's only if you bought the car out of state!! When I took my Scamp in for inspection it had rusted out quarters, hardly any trunk floor, no wiper blades, wiper motor didn't work, exhaust stopped under drivers side floor with no muffler, speedo didn't work, tires were dry rotted and it didn't run too great!! I love our smog laws!!!! :cheers:

Pretty much the same thing here in N.H., except that inspection stations (independent garages, dealers, etc....no state-run inspection stations here) can set prices as they see fit. Going rate seems to be $20-25 for safety inspection, add another $20 for OBD (if required). Some places offer "bargain" inspections (chain muffler shops are are notorious for this), but are almost guaranteed to find something to fail you on.

At one time, the safety inspection on a vehicle with antique plates was less stringent than for regular vehicles, but according to the DMV rep I spoke with when I bought my Dart that's no longer the case. The upside is that there are no restrictions (other than age) on antique plates...I believe some states limit where/how much you can drive with them.

yup I didn't realize what the situation is "up north" but on the southern end of the state we don't have any testing or inspections or anything of the sort. They act like they don't care, which works for me to do whatever I want in these cow towns out here lol

I think this is one area where Arkansas is pretty awesome. We have no mandatory smog testing or vehicle inspections. Lots of freedom to do whatever with your cars. My Dart has an inspection sticker from 1997 so they used to do inspections back then, but I've never had to have anything inspected. People are pretty cool here when it comes to cars. I broke in my 340 at my uncle's house. Open headers at 9:30 p.m. on a Wednesday and nobody called the cops, we were in city limits too but the nearest neighbors are down the road a couple hundred feet. Living here has it's benefits.

I know in the Denver area if you DON'T have collector plates, emissions test is required every year - no matter what. Although, all they do is an RPM/Tail pipe test and it's $15.

I got collector plates this year and don't need an emissions test or new tags/stickers until 2020 (5 years) - plus it's a lot cheaper!! :cheers:

In Indiana, only 2 counties require emissions testing.. Lake and Porter counties, which are near Chicago/IN Border. And only for 1980 and newer vehicles

Yes, here in FL, their is No Smog,nor Safety Test. For any year vehicle. They tried it in select counties in the late 80's early 90's for a couple years. Then they axed the program. The only problem is it is Hot down here!

I think this is one area where Arkansas is pretty awesome. We have no mandatory smog testing or vehicle inspections. Lots of freedom to do whatever with your cars. My Dart has an inspection sticker from 1997 so they used to do inspections back then, but I've never had to have anything inspected. People are pretty cool here when it comes to cars. I broke in my 340 at my uncle's house. Open headers at 9:30 p.m. on a Wednesday and nobody called the cops, we were in city limits too but the nearest neighbors are down the road a couple hundred feet. Living here has it's benefits.

I have no problem with safety inspections as long as they're legit (ie-no sleazy shops making up rules that aren't in the state handbook, or finding bogus "problems" just to generate business). Reassuring to know (or at least suspect) that the "other guy's" car coming toward me has brakes and that the front end components don't have 1/4" of slop in them.

I'm surprised all states don't have to do emissions testing...it was forced on us by the feds.

there was a bill that was going to be passed to increase it to 85 and under but it didn't pass if I'm not mistaken.

That would be awesome!! Could pick up cool trucks made after 76 and not have to worry about smog. Wonder what can be done to get that to actually pass? Petition or something?

we have the best maple syrup in the world and you can stop anywhere in the state and see mountains in all directions. but damn its colddddddddddddddddddd lol we sill have temps in the 30s and ice on the lakes.

What is this ice you speak of? Oh...that's those cubes found in the freezer right? ;)

Uq0f75d.jpg

-
Back