smoke comes out of the air breater filters

-

Barracuda_v8

Reaction score
hello! I have problem with my 408. It breathes very much smoke from the air breather filters? There is one thing that bothers me, it is that i have very high oil pressure. At idle the cauge shows 50psi and at 6000rpm its around 95 to 100 psi.

Thanks
Daniel

Does the filters look like they are saturated with oil?

Do you have baffles installed in your valve covers to block from entering the filters?

Do you have a PCV system hooked to one of the valve covers to the carb?

Does the filters look like they are saturated with oil?

Do you have baffles installed in your valve covers to block from entering the filters?

Do you have a PVC system hooked to one of the valve covers to the carb?

the filters are clean.
I have baffles.
I do not have a pvc system?

Mullinax is right on. Consider your vent caps as a way for air to get into your engine so the pcv valve can suck those fumes out. toolman

thanks guys!
But what do you guys think about my high oil pressure. maybe the piston in the pump is stuck?

thanks

That's pretty healthy oil pressure but it probably has a high pressure pump. If it's a fresh engine the pressure usually goes down as the engine breaks in too. As long as the high pressure isn't forcing oil past seals and gaskets you're ok.
Most High perf/ high rpm engines have 80+psi @6000rpm or so with a high pressure pump.

Judging from the 50 psi when idling (assuming warm engine and oil,) the bearing clearances are pretty tight. I wouldn't take it much past 6k RPM.

That's pretty healthy oil pressure but it probably has a high pressure pump. If it's a fresh engine the pressure usually goes down as the engine breaks in too. As long as the high pressure isn't forcing oil past seals and gaskets you're ok.
Most High perf/ high rpm engines have 80+psi @6000rpm or so with a high pressure pump.

it is not an high pressure oil pump. it is mopar performance high volume pump

Run 5-30 or 5-20 until your engine is more broken in. Adjust oil viscosity to get desired oil pressure at rpm. Having really high oil pressure and thicker oil will cause a bypass in the oil filter. Thinner oil is much better for engine @ start up, robs less horse power, promotes good oiling of top end, aids in oil return, reduces cavitation. You only need oil thick enough to maintain proper oil pressure at a specific rpm. So, reckon if you turn 6.5k you need 70 lbs at that rpm. You dont need much pressure at idle as the lower the rpm the less load the hydraulic cushion has on it.

With stock built clearances and no add ons the use of a high volume pump will result in a higher than stock oil pressure. What weight of oil are you running.

I´m running 20w50. I have driven the car about 150km since I put the 408 in it.

Too high.Must have a high volume in it, not good. Buy a normal pump, and swap the springs out, best of both worlds. Multi-grade; that quart is 1/3 additives that are not oil. Use a straight 30 in winter, 40 in summer.

-
Back