Smokers

-
I bought a Electric (Smokee Hollow) I think is the name. It was inexpensive and I wanted to see how good I wood do. It's been a really good smoker. I want to upgrade. For $100. Can't go wrong.
There is an electric MASTERBUILT one on FB marketplace down the street for $100. It looks unused...but like a friggin wine reefer? comes with 4 bags of chips (or whatever the electric ones take). Interesting.....
g_s960x960&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=xnONgfeYSZIAX8yMxCm&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Charcoal is consistent heat :thumbsup:. Most of the smokey flavor is derived from the first 20 minutes cooking. When I can get it, I throw a few chunks of Red Oak bark in just before the lid is closed.

I got to disagree with this. 20 minutes of smoke isn’t going to do much. I just did this butt last weekend and you can see the progression of the bark. This was a 12 hour cook. Pictures are at 2 hours, 6 hours, and 12 hours. No wrap.

55E5860E-106C-4C82-A782-8D8C09C79253.jpeg

5DAE92B7-0099-4A70-B253-36D93361165D.jpeg

22DF0D4E-275E-404E-8642-C16F5A66F2DB.jpeg

Today's smoke. A rack of spare ribs. I have done dozens of baby backs but these are a little bigger and thicker so they need a different cook. They were good!

View attachment 1715669715

View attachment 1715669716

View attachment 1715669717
Yum. I have a Traeger pellet smoker, and I LOVE it. We use it all the time. I tried a charcoal smoker, but I could NEVER get the temperature controlled. I do the 3-2-1 method on my ribs. First I cut the membrane on the backside off. Then I apply a dry rub on both sides and put them on with the smoker set to 180 degrees for 3 hours. I also make a small bowl out of aluminum foil, put liquid in it (apple juice or water) and put it in the back corner of the smoker. After 3 hours at 180 degrees, I take them off, and wrap them in aluminum foil after treating both sides to melted butter, a drizzle of honey, a little Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and a little brown sugar. Then 2 hours at 225 degrees. Then I pull them of, unwrap them (saving all the magical juices), turn the smoker up to 250 and put the ribs back on for 1 hour (or until you get an internal temperature of 205 with an instant read thermometer) with another application of BBQ sauce. While that is happening, I put the magical juices in a pan, reduce until it thickens up, add some BBQ sauce to it, and place it on the table in a bowl. You can easily pull the bones clean out. We smoked a Prime Rib on it once, and it was AMAZING!

There is an electric MASTERBUILT one on FB marketplace down the street for $100. It looks unused...but like a friggin wine reefer? comes with 4 bags of chips (or whatever the electric ones take). Interesting.....
View attachment 1715901066
We had one of those. First, you have to continually add wood chips to the tray, and second, it only lasted a little over a year.

Yum. I have a Traeger pellet smoker, and I LOVE it. We use it all the time. I tried a charcoal smoker, but I could NEVER get the temperature controlled. I do the 3-2-1 method on my ribs. First I cut the membrane on the backside off. Then I apply a dry rub on both sides and put them on with the smoker set to 180 degrees for 3 hours. I also make a small bowl out of aluminum foil, put liquid in it (apple juice or water) and put it in the back corner of the smoker. After 3 hours at 180 degrees, I take them off, and wrap them in aluminum foil after treating both sides to melted butter, a drizzle of honey, a little Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and a little brown sugar. Then 2 hours at 225 degrees. Then I pull them of, unwrap them (saving all the magical juices), turn the smoker up to 250 and put the ribs back on for 1 hour (or until you get an internal temperature of 205 with an instant read thermometer) with another application of BBQ sauce. While that is happening, I put the magical juices in a pan, reduce until it thickens up, add some BBQ sauce to it, and place it on the table in a bowl. You can easily pull the bones clean out. We smoked a Prime Rib on it once, and it was AMAZING!

This comes down to personal preference but have you tried cutting that down to 2-2-1? I used to be a fall off the bone guy until I went down to Memphis and Texas and had some of their BBQ. Now fall of the bone is over done to me. I like mine to taste like a super juicy pork chop almost.

This comes down to personal preference but have you tried cutting that down to 2-2-1? I used to be a fall off the bone guy until I went down to Memphis and Texas and had some of their BBQ. Now fall of the bone is over done to me. I like mine to taste like a super juicy pork chop almost.
I totally agree that a full 3-2-1 may be too much. I adjust as needed. sometimes it might be 2.5-1-0.5. I keep a close eye on meat internal temp. Have you tried smoking some nice, thick-cut, bone-in pork chops? They are life changing. Darnit, now I'm hungry.

I totally agree that a full 3-2-1 may be too much. I adjust as needed. sometimes it might be 2.5-1-0.5. I keep a close eye on meat internal temp. Have you tried smoking some nice, thick-cut, bone-in pork chops? They are life changing. Darnit, now I'm hungry.

I have. We try to use it once a week at minimum.

I use 3-2-1 on spares and KC's but 2-2-1 on Baby Backs (which are my favorite) I usually look at the meat shrinkage in the bone (pullback) and go from there. Fall off the bone get's mushy and that I'm not a fan of. I have found some meaty Baby Backs.

7-4-18 3.jpg

20368847_1608404462506150_1850808826623571413_o.jpg

22792156_1708605762486019_3045130910530452794_o.jpg

What are the ratio's that you guys are talking about? 3-2-1? I'm thinking of buying one now lol

I would highly encourage it. Technology with smokers today have gotten to the point where it’s like an oven in some cases. If I am using my pellet grill I can set it to 225 and leave the house to run errands and not worry about it. Big cuts of meat take 12-20 hours to cook so I will throw them on before I go to sleep and wake up one time to make sure it’s still burning.

These aren't mine but damn, making me hungry. Blackberry Jalapeno sauce. Doesn't that sound tasty! (from the Pit Boss Owners group on Facebook)

blackberry jalapeno sauce.jpg

That Tri tip looks delicious. We don't have tri tip here and I don't know why. I love to reverse sear steaks and chops.

View attachment 1715901137

All my friends thought I was crazy when I threw a big handful of grass/asparagus on the grill :lol: They changed their minds about 30 minutes later when they tried it :rofl: Little olive oil, little of your fav BBQ rub, a few sear marks and serve.

Well guys/gals my journey is over for now. I bought a small master built on August 4th. We burned it off last weekend. Gonna use it today or tomorrow. The Walmart where I work at had 1 at regular price. I got this 1 in the city on clearance. Compare the prices. Kim

IMG_1802.jpeg

ms-MpA8A0.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back