Smokes coming from my exhaust.

-

John Collins

Reaction score
I have a ‘73 Dart Sport with an LA360 in it. Unknown engine build. I need advice on what step to take next.

The cars been sitting for almost 3 years while I was messing around with the electrical on it. At some point it started smoking while I was testing the electrical in the last 2 years. I never drove it during this time, I only started it. I was hoping it was just condensation build up burning off, but it quite a bit of liquid coming out of the exhaust pipes. Driver side seems to be a little worse. In my not at all expert opinion, it could be valve stem seals, or head a blown gasket.

I was thinking about taking the heads to get a refresh and reinstall with new gaskets and go from there. Is there any steps I can take before hand to verify what’s causing the smoke? Any advice would be appreciated.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it just yet. Get it sorted out and drive it for a while monitoring the coolant and oil levels. (don't fill the radiator to the top. the level will settle a inch or so from the top) White smoke from the exhaust is coolant and blue is oil. Black smoke is excessively rich (Gas)

Thanks you. I was thinking that driving it more would be the ticket, but didn’t want to create more damage trying to assess.

Get it driving first and drive it a while. Condensation is a normal part of the exhaust and you will see a lot sometimes, depending on weather conditions.

Get it driving first and drive it a while. Condensation is a normal part of the exhaust and you will see a lot sometimes, depending on weather conditions.
I was trying to tell her that smoking was bad for her, but she’s not listening. I guess driving it around is the next step.

I need to register it and get new plates. I’ll be doing that this week.

Thanks again!

If you've been running it for short periods, the mufflers and dips in the tubes can quite literally have pools of condensation.

Sometimes when one sits up a while or is not driven regularly it will take a little bit for the exhaust to clean up. That's why I say put some miles on it first and then see what happens.

Could be the rings need to re-seat, my 360 smokes a little bit, hasn't been run much for the last 4 years or more, but I will just drive it and give it some time. Had a 318 that smoked for a few months, but it had not run at all for probably 3 years or more before I got my mitts on it.

-
Back