Snakes and Spiders and things that crawl

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I live in Iowa. We don't see these types of things here. I have family in Texas and Florida and often thought of moving there. But this stops me cold. Is my paranoia exaggerated? I guess I imagine seeing them everywhere once I get there?

Josh there are just as many here as there are there.
You dont go walkin down the sidewalk and 10 snakes slither by.
Only spiders around my house are the occasional wood spider and many daddylonglegs.
Dont get much else except blackracers and run of the mill garden snakesbut not many of them cause we got lots of coons and hawks around

Im like a little girl when i see spiders even the daddylonglegs. Here we don't have widows and recluses like down south.

I'm a Florida native and they are both here but in 54 years I have only encountered poisionus snakes maybe 10 times, tiny snakes more often, spiders on the other hand many more times most are small ones, but the occasional wood spider [mean bastards that will literally chase you and are difficult to kill] never been bit by anything yet [but then again I don't stick around long enough or they are not alive long enough to bite me] don't be afraid it ain't like you are imagining.

I've heard the old saying that in Georgia, you're never 500 feet away from a snake. I believe it.

we have wood spiders but we dont call them wood spiders we call them wolf spiders. and rob ill never come to Georgia thanks for ruining that for me.

Im like a little girl when i see spiders even the daddylonglegs. Here we don't have widows and recluses like down south.

Reminds me of a story ; When I was stationed at Langley A.F.B. I worked part time for a mobile home transporter company the boss told me to crawl under this little 12x50 mobile we were prepairing to move to cut the power cables/water lines,i had to crawl the entire length to get to them as I was doing that I got a cramp and rolled over my flashlight shined on the bottom of the trailer reviealing a mass of black widows more than I could imagine [being deathly afraid of spiders] I made my own escape door.

Try Louisianna,
Water mocassin snakes (aggressive, fast and poisonious)
Chiggers, bite the crap out of you and imbed themselves in your skin causing nasty scars and rashes,
Gators, capable of eating a full size person.
And about 10,000 other species of spiders, flys and bugs.

Worst things in Florida are the snakes and gators. :) besides the people anyway.

Arizona has rattlesnakes, scorpions, gila monsters, and grasshoppers that look like the military designed them for some futuristic warfare.

Every state has it's critters, but it's how often you run across them that matters the most I guess.
In my lifetime I have been bitten by two rattlesnakes, lots of scorpions, one black widow spider, an owl (don't ask) a jack rabbit (don't ask) various non poisonous snakes and got in a fight with a west coast eel over my spear about 60 feet under water off the coast.
Now get this (ALL of them were in California) :)

Once we moved to AZ I once got nailed by a baby scorpion when I put my hand down on the ground to get up when I was camping.

Going by this, California is WAY more dangerous. :)

Try Louisianna,
Chiggers, bite the crap out of you and imbed themselves in your skin causing nasty scars and rashes,

Worst things in Florida are the snakes and gators. :) besides the people anyway.

Arizona has rattlesnakes, scorpions, gila monsters, and grasshoppers that look like the military designed them for some futuristic warfare.

Every state has it's critters, but it's how often you run across them that matters the most I guess.
In my lifetime I have been bitten by two rattlesnakes, lots of scorpions, one black widow spider, an owl (don't ask) a jack rabbit (don't ask) various non poisonous snakes and got in a fight with a west coast eel over my spear about 60 feet under water off the coast.

Once we moved to AZ I once got nailed by a baby scorpion when I put my hand down on the ground to get up when I was camping.

Most of the people that you speak of are not Fla. Natives they are all the transplants from points unknown,and I agree California is more dangerous when it ain't shaking it's burnin or slidin sometimes all at the same time!!!

Try Louisianna,

Your misfortune makes me feel better! Your still alive. I fear waking up with a rattlesnake curled up next to me. Mental pictures that i know probably would never happen.

Reminds me of a story ; When I was stationed at Langley A.F.B. I worked part time for a mobile home transporter company the boss told me to crawl under this little 12x50 mobile we were prepairing to move to cut the power cables/water lines,i had to crawl the entire length to get to them as I was doing that I got a cramp and rolled over my flashlight shined on the bottom of the trailer reviealing a mass of black widows more than I could imagine [being deathly afraid of spiders] I made my own escape door.

Holy crap, did you have to change your shorts? I know I would have had too.......

Had some contractors pull a piece of floor up and found these a while back, called animal control to remove.

Attachments

• SNAKE 3 (Small).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 230
  • SNAKES 1 (Small).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 245
After living 30 years on the west side of the Cascades in the Pacific NW, I also dreaded the nasty critters that inhabit the southern states. I'd been stationed in FL, and seen most everthing that bites or stings humans there. I learned that different parts of TX have different things to look out for. The first house we lived in was mostly free of pests, but I got stung badly by a furry little thing known as a tree asp. Seventeen years later, I still feel a burning on my arm where it contacted his "fur".

Our second house was in an area frequented by copperheads. One even managed to get in the house. I killed several in ten years.

We moved again and I never saw a snake there, but scorpions and black widows were a glut. Just last week, I was in that vacant house and found a scorpion caught in the web of a brown recluse spider.

We're now in yet another house, and according to the neighbors, the worst wild creatures are skunks and cottontails. So far, so good...I've only seen cottontails.

No but I never crawled under one after, we took the skirting off first so we just reached under and cut everything. I became afraid of spiders when I was around 12 running thru the woods at church camp ran thru two banana spider webs leaving both of them [large bastards on my face] before I could stop when I did I brushed them off and threw up I was so scared, I very rarely enter the woods anymore.

Your misfortune makes me feel better! Your still alive. I fear waking up with a rattlesnake curled up next to me. Mental pictures that i know probably would never happen.

We were taught very young that if that happened to lay there still until someone else sees it and removes it.
We told that to a friend once where we were camping because that was one of the places I got bit by a rattle snake.
The next morning he was laying on his side still in his sleeping bag and a blue jay flew up from behind him and landed on his bare shoulder.
He ripped that sleeping bag to pieces getting up and running screaming like a little girl.
I laughed so hard I could barely catch my breath. :D

We were taught very young that if that happened to lay there still until someone else sees it and removes it.
We told that to a friend once where we were camping because that was one of the places I got bit by a rattle snake.
The next morning he was laying on his side still in his sleeping bag and a blue jay flew up from behind him and landed on his bare shoulder.
He ripped that sleeping bag to pieces getting up and running screaming like a little girl.
I laughed so hard I could barely catch my breath. :D

Cruel! That brings up another thing. Around here we are able to enjoy outdoor life with no regard for things like that. Not the same in the south.

I live in Iowa. We don't see these types of things here. I have family in Texas and Florida and often thought of moving there. But this stops me cold. Is my paranoia exaggerated? I guess I imagine seeing them everywhere once I get there?

So you are saying you don't have spiders or snakes in Iowa?
Didn't realize that.
Texas is a big state. I imagine there are differences between where you pick to live.
I can speak about Georgia. It's not so bad. Keep the grass cut and stay out of the woods. Never seen a Rattler in North Georgia. They are in south Georgia plenty. Just Cotton Mouths and Copper Heads are all I've ever seen in NW Georgia.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I"]"Come To Australia" by Scared Weird Little Guys - YouTube[/ame]

You sound like MoparDaddy when it comes to spiders.

Shoosh!

I would've made more than an escape door!!!

Try Louisianna,

I'll play with scorpions and non poisonous snakes all day long. Spiders leave me with a resulting scream that makes neighbors think a small school girl is getting beaten with a sack of oranges...

Spiders are good...

They keep the "bug" population down :glasses7:

I do believe your nuttier than squirrel turds!!!

Had some contractors pull a piece of floor up and found these a while back, called animal control to remove.

Oh nice!! That makes you not want to do your floors again

Damn just had to show that didnt ya. PA was on my list. Huge Eagle fan would love to get closer to Lincolin Financial.

Brown recluse spiders are nation wide and also one of the main reasons I'm afraid of spiders. I caught one early and still had a lump on my cheek the size of a golf ball full of puss and a green string like substance about 10" long...

-
Back