Sniper wiring

-

Paul Davidson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m working on installing a sniper on my car it’s a 67 barracuda my problem is the pink wire needs to go to a wire that’s hot on start and run but the instructions say not to attach to the coil any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Generic instructions. On Mopars there isn't a wire that's hot in start and run. Look at your '67 wiring diagram. What you do is connect the IGN1 and IGN2 wires together, and connect that to your pink wire.
Sometimes you may need to use the IGN1/IGN2 circuits to trigger a relay that feeds the Sniper, similar to what abodyjoe suggested; because occasionally there are issues with power interruptions as the key transitions from "start" to "run". If needed, you can mount the relay right where the ballast resistor used to be.
You can't connect to the coil because it causes interference issues with the signal.

Last edited:
so what do I use to power the coil
Which Sniper system are you running? What ignition system are you attempting to use with it? Are you letting the Sniper control the spark timing, or are you keeping the ignition independent of the Sniper?
The answers are different in most all cases. I am only personally familiar with a few.

I guess what I was looking for was a way to do this without a relay but that’s not gonna happen thank you all for your suggestions the more I work with mopar wiring the more I dislike it but it’s what I have for know just want to get her back on the road and will take care of other issues as they present themselves

This is a common problem since Holley doesn't explain how to install a Sniper into a Mopar. Depending on which ignition setup you use you have to tie IGN 1 and IGN 2 together with the various pink wires. If you use a Hyperspark ignition kit you'll have a pink wire from the Sniper, a pink wire from the ignition box and a pink wire from the distributor. So three pink wires get tied to the IGN 1 and IGN 2 wires. Either a big crimp fitting for all five wires or use a terminal post. If you aren't using a Hyperspark ignition setup then you'll have to figure it out for whatever you use.
I highly recommend using the Hyperspark setup if you have a performance camshaft. The Hyperspark gives you the ability to control the timing digitally which really helps with the tuning.
Here is a Sniper installed on a 700 hp big block. I did the wiring on this car was well as most of the plumbing and some of the mechanical fab. Super nice car and it runs hard. I used a combination of factory wiring and the Holley harness. I take the Holley harness all apart and change the lengths on most of the wires and then reposition the connectors for a cleaner look.

-
Back