So Frustrated!

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So I finally hear back from the engine shop about my 318. They had it for 3 weeks. Today I get the call that the entire engine is shot, rotating assembly, block, heads all of it. The person I bought it from had reciepts for the engine work that was done prior. Obviously who ever did the work messed it up big time. I got a quote back for $2200 for the machine work, and parts.

I was expecting very minor machine work. Is a 318 worth putting that kind of money into? Is that normal for a engine job? I had a Chev 350 that had a total rebuild and I was only into that $800 for everything. Would I be better off having them do the machining and buy the parts myself or could that add up to more. Im assuming they arent doing anything fancy just pistons sized to the bore job, rods and bearings. Then a complete rebuild of the heads. UGH!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

if your going to pay that kind of money for a complete rebuild on a short block then i would pick up a 360 core and start with that. I know alot of guys dont want to hear that but dollar for dollar and part for part you will get alot more power out of the 360. they both take nearly the exact same parts and you will be miles ahead in the performance for cubic $ aspect.

Can't go by what a SBC costs, they cost less due to the fact of them being like fly sh*t....damn near everywhere. As to the merit of a 318 depends on what it is you is you are wanting to do....

Id first want to know whats "shot" about it? Maybe youve had some previous posts about issues i didnt follow but what made you take it in in the first place?

it sounds like the guy who sold you the engine said whatever he could to get your money... i hate to say this but the salvage yard guys are usually more honest than your craigslisters, ebayers, etc.

i would not suggest doing business with that individual in the future. at least your machine shop was honest with you and it sounds like they actually did check the parts out (something every good machine shop does before letting someone invest $$$ in parts)

Id first want to know whats "shot" about it? QUOTE]

crank journals damaged enough so it can't be turned down and still be usable... bores worn to the point that if you bore/hone to clean them up they are too big. heads have burnt/cracked exhaust seats. etc etc. basically parts are worn and damaged beyond the point of machining them to clean up and be used.

Take the engine back to the guy who sold it to you or at least call him and let him know what's up... who knows he may actually feel bad and try to help you lol. I would trash that 318 and go search the junkyards for a decent 5.2L Magnum core to rebuild, usually those only need top-end work done.

So I finally hear back from the engine shop about my 318. They had it for 3 weeks. Today I get the call that the entire engine is shot, rotating assembly, block, heads all of it. The person I bought it from had reciepts for the engine work that was done prior. Obviously who ever did the work messed it up big time. I got a quote back for $2200 for the machine work, and parts.

I was expecting very minor machine work. Is a 318 worth putting that kind of money into? Is that normal for a engine job? I had a Chev 350 that had a total rebuild and I was only into that $800 for everything. Would I be better off having them do the machining and buy the parts myself or could that add up to more. Im assuming they arent doing anything fancy just pistons sized to the bore job, rods and bearings. Then a complete rebuild of the heads. UGH!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

How much did you pay for the 318 and how was it represented by the seller?

Thanks for the responses guys.

The 318 actually came in my 71 scamp I bought late last summer. They guy said the heads where ported and reworked. Didnt really say anything about the bottom end but I got the feeling he had it rebuilt by the way he talked. It had a 340 cam in it and when I pulled the heads sure enough they have been ported. Heads where very clean. No oil sludge etc. So I know the engine was apart. Had it all painted up pretty and all! When I test drove the car it didnt fire right off and actually took a little bit of time to fire. I figure they just slapped the carb on and never really tuned the engine. Engine seemed strong on the test drive. Hell the guy even had me lay rubber thru the intersection.

I started noticing oil blow by coming out of the breather and oil spots in the garage every time I drove it. I also noticed that I was blowing oil out of the tail pipes so something was wrong. I pulled the engine because the car is having new coat of paint put on it. Decided since the engine is out now is the time to have it checked. Well obviously its been checked and its very messed up!

The car is just a street car. Not racing it but wanted to hop it up and have some fun with it.

My brother has a very hopped up 383 that makes around 525HP he pulled from his drag car. That would require a bunch of modifications, different trans, headers, electrical, driveshaft, mounts, and who knows what else. I could be into that for about the same amount and that engine could blow half way thru the summer.

I've been tossing around just going to the junk yard and picking up a 318 or 360 magnum and throwing that in the car for now but Im not all up on the magnum swaps. I know the car is worthless with out a engine and something needs to be done with it. Is a 318 worth 2200 in engine shop work? Is it better as a boat anchor? Never looked at a crate engine, but I think those cost a ton more! I would love to hear more opinions about what to do for a engine

Id first want to know whats "shot" about it? QUOTE]

crank journals damaged enough so it can't be turned down and still be usable... bores worn to the point that if you bore/hone to clean them up they are too big. heads have burnt/cracked exhaust seats. etc etc. basically parts are worn and damaged beyond the point of machining them to clean up and be used.

Yes you are right on!

create small blocks are around 3,000. I honestly would say no do not spend that sort of money on a 318. For 2200 you could build a 400+ small block or maybe even a stroker. Just thing about it this way, you could buy like 4 360
s for the price of the machine work alone on that 318. In my personal opinion ditch the motor and start over.

Machine works costs the same, whether 318, 350 Cheb, or 360. It's the parts that cost $$.

to be honest... pick up a salvage yard engine with ~50k miles or whatever. the lower the better, 100k is probably needing a rebuild.

you might get out of there with a usable engine for a couple hundred bucks. tell the salvage guys you are in a jam and explained what happened. they might be easy and willing to help you out.

grab a 360 or 5.9 magnum, preferably something carbed. if not carbed then you will need to either go efi or retrofit a carb. magnums require a bit more retrofitting. but WELL under the $2200 to rebuild that 318. a 360 is an easier swap, but they might be a little more difficult to find (i think they switched to magnums around '93)

p.s. if you find a 1980 car or something with engine & autotrans still attached it would be striking gold for you if your car is currently auto

there are many threads here for the swap:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=141676
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116388

drop it in and you should be able to run with it. make sure you get one with a balancer on the front because they are externally balanced engines, so the balancer/torque converter/cast crank have differences from the neutral pieces from an internally balanced small block. so if you get one at a salvage yard and it's 73&up you definitely need the harmonic balancer but just ask mention it to the people there they will set you up.

then you can scrap the 318 (SAVE THE CRANK IF IT'S FORGED) and build another engine at your leisure. forged crank is nice if you build a stock stroke 318/340 later down the line. or if someone here is looking for one.

What are your opinions on remans from a company like that link above. If I do a reman I see there are also 5.9's some are LA, some are magnum. The magnums seem to be long blocks. With that being said will that change my drive shaft length? Or is the engine moved forward to make up that difference. Really how much longer are they?

Looks like my engine option is open now, Im not stuck with the 318 only. So what would you guys do? Money is still a issue so dont go hog wild. The GF is already looking at me like I've spent enough on this car! Would you just pick something up off of craigslist and throw it in or still have it rebuilt and gone thru? Do a reman from a company? What size engine? Please I do need help with this because I get to many thoughts in my head and then get indecisive! LOL

the rebuilds are not always too good... unless you get a good one like a Jasper or something, but those are bucks. the ebay ones are hit or miss. and considering the shipping costs etc. if there is a problem, it's bad. your local guys are your best bet

Go to a couple of local wrecking yards and see what they have and what prices. Then you can make the decision. If you find a low mileage 360, then just buy it and pop it in the car. If it craps out, then pull and rebuild it. Have some fun with it first!

GL!

I would say if you go with any engine considering you are on a budget and its a street car, stay local. I have no experience with hipo engine builders, but if it were me and I was close, I would be checking out MRL...they're a vendor on here. Is this your daily driver?? If its not, prowl craigslist for a complete junker car with a running engine. Strip it down, chk it over then let a machine shop do the machining and you do the assembly. Putting an engine together is fun and ya save $$ at the same time.

Something else I thought about. Can I still bolt my TTI headers from my LA heads onto a Magnum head? I dont want to have to buy new headers also.

Depends on your funds available. As has been stated, you can get a 360 or a late 80s 318 from a wrecking yard and drop it in. You may even find a mid-late 80s car (think grandma's car) with <100K on it and be able to drive it and check it out. Pull the engine, and send the rest to the scrap yard. Up here, if you haul a car into the scrap yard, you get 140$ ton for it so, you may pick up a car for 5-600$, take the engine and whatever parts you want and take the rest in and get some of your money back.

Look for a motor that you can hear run before its pulled. I lucked out and found a 360 and 727 in a motor home the guy was getting ready to scrap so we fired it up and even took it through the gears down his driveway. Cheap motors are out there just make sure they were well taken care of.

-
Back