so hot wiring

-

hampton123

Reaction score
Ok so my 73 dart custom is in need if being hot wired. What is the best way to do this so i can drive and get a new ignition switch. Can i get the steering wheel look off without breaking it?

FIRST how do you know the switch is what is wrong?

Somewhere on here ABodyJoe had a big huge photo spread on how to get into a column. You have a shop manual?

I've read both of those prior to the first post. Can someone tell more which wires to hook to which side of the toggle switch. And which wires for the starter

Hot wire is easy, just to get the car running. You don't need anything for a starter, you can do that with a coil or other piece of metal. Simply make sure the car is out of gear or in park, and jumper across the only two exposed terminals on the starter relay to get it to crank:

Jumper across the big stud and the "square" looking post next to it:

9cd7_35.JPG

To get power for "run" use a clip lead and hook from the big starter relay stud, which is battery, to the switch side of the starter relay. If you have a 4-wire ballast, this is the end which has a jumper across the two end terminals. If you have a 2 terminal ballast, it's the end which does NOT have the brown wire hooked in

Thank you. Any thoughts on getting the wheel lock to disengage without dissasembly? I'm ok with breaking my intuition cylinder

Yes this is my car. I promise I am not tryin to steal somebody else's car. if you don't believe me tell me how I can prove it to you.

You can either break the wheel lock mechanism or properly disassemble and fit it.
Those who steal cars break whatever is necessary, thats the proof.

I've go a entire 73 column here with a nearly new switch already in it, in SC too if it helps.

If you no anybody around you with keys try one of theirs. We always keep all keys 'cause there aren't many combos. With worn keys and locks, you can usaully find a key that will work, then duplicate it. Maybe the junk yard guy has a stash.

If you no anybody around you with keys try one of theirs. We always keep all keys 'cause there aren't many combos. With worn keys and locks, you can usaully find a key that will work, then duplicate it. Maybe the junk yard guy has a stash.

Best way to go I use to keep a copy of every old mopar key I could had about 15 and never found a 74 to 60 car I couldn't start right up so call a yard and see if they will give you some

If it comes down to it a flat head and a hammer has worked for me several times lol find one about the size of the key and smash it in lol OK I'm not recommending this but it does work

-
Back