So, how DID that 'lectric vehicle work for ya?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
"cost 9k to build ten years ago" Kinda looks like that 9K wasn't well spent, plus whatever the vehicle to put it in cost. Need batteries? No THANKS!!

Electric Mazda
Electric Mazda - $3500 (Hayden)
Electric Mazda pickup. Warp 9 motor, Raptor speed controller, lead acid 144 volt DC. Power brakes. Put away running, needs 12-12volt batteries. 50+mph, about 30 mile range depending on how you drive it. Truck cost 9k to build ten years ago.
Selling for a friend, have title. $3500 or offer.
Will sell electrics as a package for $3000

00j0j_bGxxZloMJbY_600x450.jpg

00v0v_heOCWOYMjh0_600x450.jpg

00V0V_DcRIAsqZXn_600x450.jpg

00a0a_7RyXpiqM2Au_600x450.jpg

yea 30 miles as long as it's not dark out or raining. Forget about listening to the radio......

"Put away running"...

Sounds like they are not sure if it still will run...

Probably just needs a carburetor cleaning, maybe some fresh fuel.

..........Or I could just offer them 300 for the "non electric" part and swap something in there.........

..........Or I could just offer them 300 for the "non electric" part and swap something in there.........
Great idea. I remember hearing that Ford Ranger and Mazda trucks were the same towards the end. Either Ford built them for Mazda, or Mazda built them for Ford. If that is true, a decent running engine and tranny should be pretty easy to find in a salvage yard. Or.... maybe a 340 would fit....

heck yeah, I got a smooth Mazda 2.0 MA with a 5sp in a fugly rusty bent frame 83 B2000 that I cant seem to get rid of. Drop in and go. Just register it as an electric so you dont have to smog it ever again. Wait up...power brakes? How.

heck yeah, I got a smooth Mazda 2.0 MA with a 5sp in a fugly rusty bent frame 83 B2000 that I cant seem to get rid of. Drop in and go. Just register it as an electric so you dont have to smog it ever again. Wait up...power brakes? How.

Well you could use a battery operated vac pump, but it might cut into that "30 mile range" LMAO

You don't build an electric car/truck to be economical... the batteries are still cost prohibitive to put it mildly. The 30 mile range is probably a little conservative if you put 12 batteries in it... I had a former client build a kit car off a 56 midget around 1990 and it looked like a Delorean. He retrofitted it with an electric motor and 6-8 deep cycle batteries and could easily go 50 miles in the thing. It was neat as a toy but the last time I spoke to him a year or so ago he was looking at the new battery technology which would have been much lighter but cost $4500+. Even at 10mpg's that buys a lot of gas; 22500 miles worth @$2 gallon.

You don't build an electric car/truck to be economical... ..................

RIGHT THERE IN A FEW WORDS you have paralleled my opinion on WHY electric cars of all forms are completely stupid. They don't have a "green" source to charge them, practically speaking, and they don't pan out "greeny" either environmentally nor economically. Tesla and Volt are no different.

Funny thing about electric cars .. Somewhere, somebody had to make the electricity to charge those batteries. Those watts had to come from an energy conversion of some sort. Granted, the southwest is getting covered in solar farms and any mountain pass or area with a propensity for moderate winds is getting windmill farms, but the mainstay for constant and reliable electric power is still combustion driven. So theorhetically we drive our Tesla to our Homies place in the next village. We were blastin the AC and the stereo on the way. We plug in our charger at Homie's house, his or her electric meter screams in agony at the load. The local power company says "WooHoo .. we can add an extra $10 to Homies electric bill! Look at that meter spin! Looks like a GTS on E-70s on Van Nuys Blvd on Wednesday night". We didn't pay for that electricity, Homie is left scratchin his head why his bill went up, the natural gas gen plant down the road just kept on gennin lectricity. Dammit, the batteries in the Tesla need to be replaced, 500 lbs. of questionable material to a toxic dump. Hydrocarbons were still powering the Tesla, just in a different format. However, this could lead to a new form of Hot Rodding. TE Dragster, unlimited batteries and windings on the motor. E/FC .. must look similar to a Chevy Volt .. See above for TE Dragster specs. That quadruple espresso is workin now :rolleyes:. How is the Safety Safari going to clean up the mess when the battery pack grenades on the E/FC? Call the Hazmat team? All about the fun Baybeee!

Funny thing about electric cars .. Somewhere, somebody had to make the electricity to charge those batteries. Those watts had to come from an energy conversion of some sort. Granted, the southwest is getting covered in solar farms and any mountain pass or area with a propensity for moderate winds is getting windmill farms, but the mainstay for constant and reliable electric power is still combustion driven. So theorhetically we drive our Tesla to our Homies place in the next village. We were blastin the AC and the stereo on the way. We plug in our charger at Homie's house, his or her electric meter screams in agony at the load. The local power company says "WooHoo .. we can add an extra $10 to Homies electric bill! Look at that meter spin! Looks like a GTS on E-70s on Van Nuys Blvd on Wednesday night". We didn't pay for that electricity, Homie is left scratchin his head why his bill went up, the natural gas gen plant down the road just kept on gennin lectricity. Dammit, the batteries in the Tesla need to be replaced, 500 lbs. of questionable material to a toxic dump. Hydrocarbons were still powering the Tesla, just in a different format. However, this could lead to a new form of Hot Rodding. TE Dragster, unlimited batteries and windings on the motor. E/FC .. must look similar to a Chevy Volt .. See above for TE Dragster specs. That quadruple espresso is workin now :rolleyes:. How is the Safety Safari going to clean up the mess when the battery pack grenades on the E/FC? Call the Hazmat team? All about the fun Baybeee!
I agree with everything you said, except, they actually do recycle all batteries now. Other than that, the whole concept of battery powered vehicles is pretty stupid and overly expensive.

I agree with everything you said, except, they actually do recycle all batteries now. Other than that, the whole concept of battery powered vehicles is pretty stupid and overly expensive.

not all of them...at least, not the ones i still flush down the toilet

(just kidding, i got a septic tank)

One alternative concept for propulsion that always intrigued me .. Turbines .. I know in the 70s Yellow Freight had a go with turbines .. It didn't last long .. A friend of mine was driving for them at the time .. He had the oppurtunity to make numerous trips in one .. "All together an interesting trucking experience"
expletives deleted :rofl:.. In the not too distant past I saw a little 2 axle freight type bobtail going through town .. No visible vertical exhaust stacks .. Got my attention .. Just in front of the drive tires I see a 15"? downward pointing stainless exhaust .. I had to get closer to examine this .. I caught up to it .. Sure as life .. Just a whooshing sound and the odor of burnt kerosene .. Turbines can run on just about anything that will produce heat, fuelwise .. A turbine driven hybrid .. A clean burning fuel .. If such exists .. For a generator purpose the turbine could be very compact .. Does alleviate the reliance on PG&E or DWP or local power compant of choice .. It's still going to make combustion emissions though :BangHead: I can see my Dart with a 12" stack through the hood now :eek:

Well..........except the thing is, there is huge amounts of waste materials, chemicals, and energy in manufacturing and recycling. This is the "greenies" problem.......they throw around the word "green" and "recycled" and convince themselves that this is somehow "winning."

Precisely .. Being a SOCAL resident all my life .. In my youth we had numerous Drag strips nearby .. "Saturday Night .. Top Fuel Funny Cars OCIR ... BEE THERE!" .. One particular Saturday night they had a brave soul that was going to attempt to jump 15? school busses in a turbine powered go kart .. Probably a Turbonique .. We weren't able to make the trek over the hill from the desert to Orange County that night .. Monday we hear that the gentleman in the go kart launched to perfection over the busses .. However mid-flight the go kart inverted .. Not a happy ending .. God rest his thrill seeking soul

-
Back