So it begins:

-
Ok, well I keep having a crappy hand dealt from life to me, but the progress is still coming along.

I am about to load the car up and take it over to my buddies house for experienced body work and Primer/Paint.

Been kicking this idea around of a Matte Black 70 Swinger Stripe painted on. After the paint cures awhile, I had this idea of a custom air brushed scene of the stripe fading front to rear into a sheet of 100 dollar bills....Burning.
The wind fueling the flames down the side of the car, burning the cashola.

Lemme know what you think...I was bored and layed some ink down to better visualize my concept:
DartStripeIdea.jpg

I personally am not a fan of the graphic, a little cliche'-ish to me. That body is so straight, it is begging for a straight clean color, maybe 2 tone, or flat black accents, etc. I personally am not a big fan of the bumble bee strip even....

Nice progress. !

Prine, sorry to maybe be telling you something that you already know, but don't take your car out in the wet or humid weather with only primer on it. That stuff is hygroscopic as hell! It absorbs water and holds it against the metal even longer than the bare metal would stay wet. I speak from sad experience!

I was wondering, what grit of sanding disks did you use in your D/A to remove the paint?

Thanks for the advice.

The more I keep looking at the custom stripe idea, the less I like it, too.
It looked cool at first but I am leaning towards just a Matte Black 70 stripe.

On a whim, I went and purchased the FF4 Acrylic Enamel, Red Epoxy Primer/Sealer, Hardener and Reducer.

DSC07570.jpg

DSC07566.jpg

DSC07567.jpg

DSC07571.jpg

DSC07572.jpg

cool! you have your paint. it will be lookin good before you know it. i need to get down to the paint shop and pick up my cc1 light blue for the wagon. im gonna try to primer the engine bay this weekend. it will be my first paintjob, well my first that doesnt involve a rattlecan.

fyi: your cars build date is April 25, 1970 if no one else has told ya yet.
Keep us informed please! I am gonna start a thread on my 1970 FF4 GT pretty soon.
Later,
Bruce B.

ya so I have been too busy to interact, check out the progress:
KellySept2008025.jpg

KellySept2008026.jpg

KellySept2008027-1.jpg

KellySept2008017.jpg

KellySept2008018.jpg

KellySept2008020.jpg

KellySept2008019.jpg

KellySept2008021.jpg

KellySept2008022.jpg

KellySept2008024.jpg

KellySept2008032.jpg

KellySept2008031.jpg

KellySept2008033.jpg

KellySept2008034.jpg

Finally got all the mud pretty level....missed out on getting pictures of the primer stage ....sorry.

Here is final color though:

KellySept2008035-1.jpg

KellySept2008040.jpg

KellySept2008035.jpg

KellySept2008036.jpg

KellySept2008037.jpg

KellySept2008039.jpg

I found out, I do not like bodywork the hardway.

The finish turned out decent, not show worthy, but at least I can stand to look at it.

Just finished the trunk lid, front/rear valances, front/rear extensions and will post up pics when I get another chance.

Hope you enjoy all my blood sweat and tears

I don't know whats up with everyone, but thanks for the reply burntorange.

I got the small pieces all reassembled and on the car....overall it looks pretty good.

Here we go:
KellySept2008042.jpg

KellySept2008043.jpg

KellySept2008044.jpg

KellySept2008046.jpg

KellySept2008045.jpg

KellySept2008047.jpg

Things are looking like I should sell the Dart. I lost my "great" job over a month ago, and expendable funds have just about evaporated. Feel free to shoot me a offer if you may be interested.

Prine

Looking good, man. I can't believe how much you have done in such short time.

WOW, Nice Paint JOB! what size compressor did you use (gallons)?

I did a 20% tint job on my 1970 dart on all the windows except windshield

90c22783.jpg

fefbb05f.jpg

1.1hp/17 gallons craftsman compressor (as stated in the beginning pages of this thread)

I used a BIG LOTS hvlp paint gun with a 1.4 tip and sprayed primer and the final color at 50 psi regulated.

I am content with the outcome of the color and texture, but I can vouch for there being flaws associated with not having any experience.

The first day I attempted to lay the color, I used a huge piece of cardboard to dial in the spray pattern of the paint gun, and unstbeknowingly layed down some color with the wrong inlet pressure/spray pattern which resulted in some runs/sags :angry7:.

I immediately stopped laying color, rolled up the compressor and cleaned the gun, shut down the blowthrough garage/paint booth, and called it a day/lesson learned.

I ended up sanding down the entire drivers side of the car and starting over after I spoke with my local PPG paint store rep about the proper inlet pressure and spray pattern.

Seems I remember begging for paint tips that no one chimed in to help advise on.....Oh well, chalk one up to lessons learned.

Don't feel bad about not getting any tips. My best bud has worked in the paint shop at the GM plant in Arlington for 30 years. What he don't know about paint hasn't been written. And I can't get any tips from HIM!

Oh man, I just saw your post about losing your job and selling the car! That is not good. survival comes first though, I know how that feels. Here's wishing you rapid re-employment so you can keep the fruits of your labor.

P.S. - I have been watching this thread with interest since the beginning. I'm just not much on "me too" posting so I generally like to lurk in the background.
Gary

My brother is in New Mexico and I know he'd love that car. Unfortunately he went through a divorce a couple years ago and he's still trying to get his legs under him.

Well Prine, It seems we are both in the same boat - almost. My job has withered away to about 10 hours a week now. UGH! They will not lay us off so they don't have to pay unemployment. So here we are. Best of luck to you! If I had any $$ we would talk about this car. As it stands now mine may be on the block too - soon.
Later,
Bruce B.

-
Back