So long blue and hello new

-

j-miller

Demonized by Dodge
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got upgraded from my '06 Ram 3500 to a 2014 Ram 4500 this week for work. I already racked up over 2,200 mile's in 5 days and seems to run good so far. This truck has a 6 speed automatic transmission and I was used to a 6 speed manual tranny. I still catch myself trying to shift gears and releasing the parking brake. I will get to drive the old truck yet as it will be a spare truck.

photo1_zps4d56197b.jpg

untitled12_zpsfc867e5e.png

Very Nice!!!

Does the new one use the DEF fluid? (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)

Yeah it does. I feel like eliminating it along with other emissions to gain some mpg's back...but may try and wait till after the warranty runs out.

Sharp truck John! Whats on the trailer in the 1st pic??

In the first picture are 5 individual children's playhouse's (swingset's,playground stuff) that another guy and me go out to deliver and install Steve.

Here's an example of the one assembled we did down in Arizona back in January.
IMG_0308_zpseae047db.jpg

Wow John :blob::blob: Congratulations bud :cheers: Mikie likie:thumbup: what engine :coffee2:

Yeah it does. I feel like eliminating it along with other emissions to gain some mpg's back...but may try and wait till after the warranty runs out.

The DEF fluid and it's catalist actually help the manufacturer to cut back on the amount of EGR that is recirculated into the intake, there for with less EGR used there is more power available and it should actually get better mileage then the engines that strictly use just EGR.

What kind of mileage are you getting so far?

In the first picture are 5 individual children's playhouse's (swingset's,playground stuff) that another guy and me go out to deliver and install Steve.

Beautiful! Looks like a park! Driving to Arizona would be a nice gig too.

What did the 3500 set the company back....starting to think of a truck to pull a 5th wheel since my RAM 1500 will not..

Wow John :blob::blob: Congratulations bud :cheers: Mikie likie:thumbup: what engine :coffee2:

Hey Memike,it's got the 6.7 liter Cummins hooked to a Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission. It takes getting use to for me from shifting gears all the time. Just today I was in my personal truck and found myself hitting only brake going around a sharp corner an didn't downshift....oops:D.

The DEF fluid and it's catalist actually help the manufacturer to cut back on the amount of EGR that is recirculated into the intake, there for with less EGR used there is more power available and it should actually get better mileage then the engines that strictly use just EGR.

What kind of mileage are you getting so far?

Well so far with the combination of the high loads I haul and headwinds...average was saying 6-8 mpg loaded and empty goes up to around 9-11 mpg. Maybe it will get better over time. I would like to get better mileage and what I'm hearing,by eliminating the EGR and DEF will bring it up some. My old '06 did way better as far as my mileage went.

11 mpg...that would be a bit higher in Canadian gallons..that still isn't great..

Any deisel get better out there ? in the 2500-3500 range in mopar/ferd or chebby ?

What did the 3500 set the company back....starting to think of a truck to pull a 5th wheel since my RAM 1500 will not..

Sorry grassy, it's a RAM 4500 not a 3500. We actually lease the truck,but the bed we own. I saw the window sticker and was over $60,000 and the bed itself was almost $10,000.

11 mpg...that would be a bit higher in Canadian gallons..that still isn't great..

Any deisel get better out there ? in the 2500-3500 range in mopar/ferd or chebby ?
My personal '01 Dodge 3500 gets around 18-21 mpg empty and gets anywhere from 15-17 mpg depending which of my car trailers I'm pulling.

This is what we are dealing with..a basic 2500 slt..and this is cheap around here..

http://www.pothiermotors.com/new/RAM/2014-RAM-2500-44ac2ff20a0a000225889ff0fbcb9c05.htm

68K before freight, shipping, etc.. plus 15% tax..so 82K before financing...

Here is a 3 year old model for 50K..

http://www.ddodge.com/used/Ram/2011-Ram-2500-c1f602010a0a0002719166dbbd00c192.htm

Do you feel my pain ? :)

It just may be the barrier to stop us moving up to a 5th wheel and buy a tag along.

I don't mind used but I have no sence of how many miles you can put on a diesel before you have to start throwing parts on it. We intend on doing long hauls..like here to Az is 5K miles..

Sorry for butting into your thread..

ian.

That is one nice looking truck... And the playground stuff is really nice too.. Do you guys make sheds/gazeboes too.. I want to put a gazebo in my back yard... Like a 10'X20'...Bill

You should see the fine for doing that. I will make you not want to even think of messing with it.

IMG_0308_zpseae047db.jpg

8) Congrats on the new truck.......VERY nice & I bet you'll get used to the auto trans real fast!! That was a fun visit and you'll need to stay longer next time :thumbup:

View attachment P1100589 (Small).jpg

Beautiful! Looks like a park! Driving to Arizona would be a nice gig too.

He put us to work too :violent1: LOL JK John!!

This is what we are dealing with..a basic 2500 slt..and this is cheap around here..

http://www.pothiermotors.com/new/RAM/2014-RAM-2500-44ac2ff20a0a000225889ff0fbcb9c05.htm

68K before freight, shipping, etc.. plus 15% tax..so 82K before financing...

Here is a 3 year old model for 50K..

http://www.ddodge.com/used/Ram/2011-Ram-2500-c1f602010a0a0002719166dbbd00c192.htm

Do you feel my pain ? :)

It just may be the barrier to stop us moving up to a 5th wheel and buy a tag along.

I don't mind used but I have no sence of how many miles you can put on a diesel before you have to start throwing parts on it. We intend on doing long hauls..like here to Az is 5K miles..

Sorry for butting into your thread..

ian.

No problem grassy,feel free to butt in anytime:D. The '06 I came out of has roughly 385,000 miles on it and never had any engine issues. Just the normal wear and tear like clutches and a transmission. The original alternator took a dump after 341,000 and still on the original injector pump and injectors.

That is one nice looking truck... And the playground stuff is really nice too.. Do you guys make sheds/gazeboes too.. I want to put a gazebo in my back yard... Like a 10'X20'...Bill

Sorry pro-tech,no gazebo's or sheds from us....just swingset's.
I was just up in Fort Anne,NY setting up a few display models at a new dealer for us and they sell sheds.

-
Back