socket size for a small block mopar crank shaft bolt?

-
Maybe a cutoff wheel making a slot and then a hammer and impact driver 'might have got it out. Another way might have been to punch and drill the top off in increments.
I tried that.
Cut a slot in it, than hit it with an air Chiesal.

I bet it looked like a standard hex head bolt, but it was somehow not correctly machined. The hex part spun off when a certain torque was reached. Much like those "Tork Bolts", but unintentional.
It still has the hash marks for bolt grade in the top.

I dont know, but the sob was tight, an air chiesel would not spin it out, I cut it off with a cut-off wheel, sacrificed the head.
It was tight, let the machine shop deal with the remains.
It still had the factory shim gaskets on the heads and intake, so most likely somebody had a bad day on the assembly line, he/she put it in the back farthest bolt on the passenger side, so it would be impossible to remove.
It still has the hardens hashes on it.
Fun, Fun

View attachment 1715378595
I remember seeing this in another thread! That still blows my mind lol

There will be some marks from a breakaway head, it is just rusty.
Someone got it to 90 ft lbs and I don't know how that could be done in the location it's in plus being round.

I tried that.
Cut a slot in it, than hit it with an air Chiesal.
Impact is not side to side as much as it is the downward shock load from the BFH that resonates through the fastener , hopefully breaking it loose.
But I believe you gave a valiant effort.
Bummer the head ate it.

Just drill the center with a 3/8 bit then a 1/2 bit and the head will pop off, then it will screw right out once the head is off.

Head is off, it was just a 318 so no loss.

-
Back