Solid lifter edm's

-

rbdart

Reaction score
Just picking brains here about the pro's and cons of solid lifter edms,what are the advantages or disadvantages to using them,are they worth the effort? To me in my mind seemed like a good idea and better oiling on the cam but I dont know much about them,so who has used them and opinions from those who have and their thoughts..the application will be a bblk street car..thanks to all in advance............................KEN

You've lost me..................

What is an edm?

EDM lifters,supply the cam/lifter mating point,with consistent cushion of oil. Normally splash oil lubricated,these work great on the street. FWIW,seen two sets installed personally. With today's cam problems,extra insurance never hurts anymore.

I have the Howards for my 383 if it ever gets built.

Great...I read up about them sounds like this is the ticket,so me purchased them...call it an early mothers day gift for ma mopar,got to sell some parts now or its ramen noodles for the rbd...

EDM lifters,supply the cam/lifter mating point,with consistent cushion of oil. Normally splash oil lubricated,these work great on the street. FWIW,seen two sets installed personally. With today's cam problems,extra insurance never hurts anymore.

The EDM hole is the center of the lifter and that never contacts the lobe. They hit the area with a "directed splash" - they do not pressurize and support loads on the mating surfaces as the oil film on the bearing does for the crank.
IMO - if you have a very high rate of lift cam (custom .904 only lifter type deal), heavier valve springs (more than 400lbs over the nose), or have a moderately big cam and expect to have a lot of idle time and possible issues getting the engine to fire right up - then they are good insurance.

Did I ever state ,that Moper? Read the post I did,a little harder.....

Got the new Howard edm lifters yesterday from santa [ups delievery guy] man they are purty.. got the 440 on the engine stand..the time is drawing near...but it's a cold **** in the garage 2day,32* aint my idea of fun so gonna fire up some heat and get to work...

I personly have the comp cams versions in my charger 273 on a isky cam. i did it for insurance reasons. broke in fine worked great! what better for lobe lube than a constent purssureized supply. (spelling sucks)

Got the new Howard edm lifters yesterday from santa [ups delievery guy] man they are purty.. got the 440 on the engine stand..the time is drawing near...but it's a cold **** in the garage 2day,32* aint my idea of fun so gonna fire up some heat and get to work...

Nice,progress is good.

Did I ever state ,that Moper? Read the post I did,a little harder.....

"EDM lifters,supply the cam/lifter mating point,with consistent cushion of oil. Normally splash oil lubricated"

Sorry - I went back and re-read... slower this time as sometimes I do read too quickly.
I am still misunderstanding your text. I read the above as the EDM hole pressurizes the contact area and gives the lifter a pressurized cushion of oil.
I don't believe that to be correct.
EDM lifters give a huge increase in and consistency of oil volume to the lobe - From what I've seen they don't provide a pressurized film at the point of contact. I have a nitrided cam with less than 1000 miles on it and Howard's EDM lifters and it's got a definate wear pattern on it, as do the lifters. It's not like the pressurized oil film and wedge that forms accross a rod bearing where the oil is "captured" by clearances.
Sorry if I'm splitting hairs - I thought it a rather significant difference in terms of explaining what they do.

Not all EDM lifters have the hole centered. Case and point. CROWER.

Lets look at this logically. Take rocker arm to valve stem tip contact, for example. If there was no oil present there, the rocker pad and valve tip would burn up in short order. The oil there is not pressurized. It is splash/dripped, yet, somehow, the rockers and valve tips last a very long time. Several hundred thousand miles if the engine is properly maintained.

To argue that there is no oil film there I think would be futile, since the rockers do not burn up, nor the valve tips.

While it is true, what the cam lobes and lifters normally see is only splash lubrication, IMO it cannot hurt a thing if they get some oil that is purposely directed for the particular purpose of intentionally lubricating and cooling both the lobes and lifters.

The cooling effect seems to be something that has been left out of this discussion. That's how things die. Through lack of lube and heat. It seems to me that direct oil lifters, whether they actually provide a "pressurized cushion of oil "or not, are a great idea.

The holes are not large enough to negatively effect oil pressure, but they are large enough to provide a much needed (IMO) extra bit of oil to areas that (also IMO) should have had specific oiling designed there from the start.

IMO (yet again) if engines have relied on splash lubrication to the lobes and lifters for all these many decades, there must be oil filming going on there. Be it pressurized or not, must make no difference, because before the zinc reduction/elimination, engines ran several hundred thousand miles properly maintained with narry a camshaft or lifter failure.

Now that the zinc is all but gone, I don't believe a little more oil there will hurt a thing. Even if you run a high zinc content oil, what will it hurt to run EDM lifters? I say a little added protection is well worth the extra cost.

Who gives a flying whooptydoo if they offer pressurized oiling or not? They help lubricate and cool the cam lobes and valve lifters. Stop arguing the point. It's doing nothing to help anyone. A newbie would come on here and not know what to do. That's not why we're here last time I checked. Can we put the penises up and all agree that EMD lifters are a good thing? Run them if you want.

-
Back