Solid lifter input

-
U can easily change the lifters and pushrods in the 67 and back big blocks to the 68 up. The pushrod seat is .075 thou lower in the bb lifter. But now the aftermarket has made them the same. Kim

U can easily change the lifters and pushrods in the 67 and back big blocks to the 68 up. The pushrod seat is .075 thou lower in the bb lifter. But now the aftermarket has made them the same. Kim

I know dat, G. I was just lettin others know there are some differences, yo.

Kim that's good to know
The deeper seat may have an advantage for geometry of the push rods if it were needed.
If you could find them.

the later lifters on that break had a 3/8 ball seat while the older ones had a 5/16 seat iirc.

I have seen that some solid lifters providers state that they have moved the oiling band down to avoid the band being exposed.
Thats probably a misconception that the bands get exposed on high lift cams. they should move the band up so it doesnt get dropped out the bottom! And Why the heck are the banding solid lifters anyway? There is no oil hole to unshroud....? Stupid lifter companies...what do they know ? Pshhh....

take a straight edge across journals on a stock cam, note distance to highest lobe. now take that monster .630 lift and do the same...there is your lifter difference out the bore. not much eh? No matter the lift on a stock bearing cam, the lobes still have to fit through them!

the later lifters on that break had a 3/8 ball seat while the older ones had a 5/16 seat iirc.

Thats probably a misconception that the bands get exposed on high lift cams. they should move the band up so it doesnt get dropped out the bottom! And Why the heck are the banding solid lifters anyway? There is no oil hole to unshroud....? Stupid lifter companies...what do they know ? Pshhh....

take a straight edge across journals on a stock cam, note distance to highest lobe. now take that monster .630 lift and do the same...there is your lifter difference out the bore. not much eh? No matter the lift on a stock bearing cam, the lobes still have to fit through them!
Good point, why is the oil band there on a solid flat tappet that has no push rod oiling? Do manufactures use the same tappet body for both solid and hydraulic tappets?

Good point, why is the oil band there on a solid flat tappet that has no push rod oiling? Do manufactures use the same tappet body for both solid and hydraulic tappets?

Most solid Chrysler lifters are not just a hunk of solid metal. They have a plunger, too, just not a hydraulic plunger, but an oil metering plunger and they need to be lubricated as well. Their plunger is not spring loaded and regulates the flow of oil. You can tell an oil metering lifter by shaking it and hearing the plunger rattle. Since they're not spring loaded, the plunger moves freely. The oil metering solid lifters are actually the preferred lifters for solid flat tappets, IMO.

That what I always thought, but you can buy .904 solid tappets without the oil band. How does that work for oiling?

Sure. Look at the Comp 821-16. Solid hunks of metal with no band.

Were they too low in the bores or did they travel too high? Inquiring minds wanna know.

I didn’t do any trouble shooting to see exactly what the problem with them was.
A friend had some of the “normal” lifters at his shop, so I swapped those in without even pulling the intake manifold off.
The problem was solved, so I forged ahead.

My “assumption” was that they were too low in the bore and oil was running out the bottom.
Well..... more correctly....... the bottom of oil band was too low in the bore, creating a path from the oil gallery right back into the crankcase.

With those lifters in the motor it basically had zero oil pressure.

I didn’t do any trouble shooting to see exactly what the problem with them was.
A friend had some of the “normal” lifters at his shop, so I swapped those in without even pulling the intake manifold off.
The problem was solved, so I forged ahead.

My “assumption” was that they were too low in the bore and oil was running out the bottom.
With those in the motor, it basically had zero oil pressure.

Obvious they were the problem "whichever way" they were.

Just for the record, I am preeeeeeeeetty sure the early BB pushrod ball/tip was 1/4" on the lifter end & later design was 5/16".

-
Back