solid lifters in magnum block, not enough oil

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey all
Has anyone used solid lifters in a magnum block? I think the lifters I am using are designed for the LA engine where it oils the rockers through the shaft. The magnum only oils through the pushrod. Below is a photo of my hydraulic lifter that supplied plenty of oil. You can see the skirt between the oil band and oil hole to allow more oil.

I ran the solid lifters in my 360 magnum and there is next to no oil getting through the pushrods to the rockers. Hughes engines said i need to cut this slot for the magnum engine use but Hughes lifters were discontinued and he couldn't help me. Now I am thinking I need to pull the lifters out and slot them as Hughes suggested. Has anyone done this? I know too much oil is bad so I want to be careful how much I take out.
cheers Maca
here is a pic of the lifters next to each other and below that is a video of it running to show lack of oil

[ame="http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/maca110/VIDEO0055.mp4"]
th_VIDEO0055.mp4
[/ame]

Is there an issue with you doing what Hughes suggested to do?

Hughes said their lifters were discontinued so I had to buy them somewhere else. I emailed him for advice on slotting them but he said they never sold these. When i sent him the link below on their website that states (When using this lifter with a Magnum block and Magnum heads where pushrod oiling is required, there needs to be a slot cut from the groove in the side of the lifter up to the oil hole in the side of the lifter. We can provide this service for an additional fee. Call for details if you are using a Magnum block.) He just didn't respond so I guessed he didn't want to help me. I just want to know how deep and wide to slot them.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...xvY2sgIkxBIg==&level1=TGlmdGVycw==&partid=341

Maybe I'm missing something in the text here, but do they mean to cut a slot to feed the oil into the lifter like the roller? Looks like a pretty straightforward deal if that's what they mean...maybe a few minutes per lifter worth of work? It would probably take longer to set up the mill than anything...

Yep that's right. It will be easy but the problem I have is I don't know how wide and deep etc. I was told on another forum the anything more than a .010 scratched line will be too much oil and I will need new lifters again. So trying to find someone who has done it before. Apparently I can't copy the hydraulic lifter as it has a restricter hole in it.

While I haven't done it I think with the factory lifter the hole is the restriction. I would suggest that a groove no larger than .015-.020 be made in them. I don't think .010 will be enough - but if you have that factory lifter use a pin drill or take it apart and figure out the diameter of the feed hole.

I'm with Moper, that the restriction would be the oiling hole at the top of the lifter and the p rod hole dia as opposed to how much volume is brought TO the lifter via your (added) mods.

Remember that "leak" is .010 is times 16, and they get full oil pressure 100% of the time. Too large of a hole and the oil to the lower end will be affected. The top end really doesn't need all that much and the hole in the top is probably smaller than .020.

well I got the lifters slotted. Will try them this weekend and let u know how it goes. It looks like a very small slot but it is easy to take more out than put some back;)
IMAG0947.jpg

Just wow.. Never heard of that mod,on a Magnum, it does make sense.Good luck.

Well I ended up grinding a .020 grove between the oil band and one oil hole. It made a huge difference. Much better oil flow to rockers now. I think its enough oil and I shouldn't open up the grove any more. What's your thought
cheers
[ame="http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/maca110/VIDEO0061.mp4"]
th_VIDEO0061.mp4.jpg
[/ame][ame="http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/maca110/VIDEO0061.mp4"][/ame]

-
Back