Solid Motor Mounts?

-

Hyperballsmcgee

Reaction score
not sure which forum this belongs in so I'll start in small block tech.

I use solid motor mounts in my scamp. I searched and searched and could not for the life of me find solid mounts ANYWHERE and I mean N-E-WHERE! so naturally the old man and I drew up some drafts and settled on 3X3 square steel as the mount itself. and I can honestly say I can feel the power and torque that the rubber in my old mounts was absorbing.

so really my question here is; would anyone here be interested in a set of these? the raw material is a little pricey, but I figured maybe some of those who race and are concerned with squeezing every bit of power out to the wheels would want to check em out. the "prototype" set on my car is about a half inch taller than stock, but we can make stock height as well. these are designed to work with flow tech headers and power steering, as the driver side was hitting the gearbox when the headers were installed.

so... interest, thoughts, criticism, and comments are welcome and appreciated. thanks FABO!

also, I understand that some of that extra power I'm feeling is coming from the installation of headers versus those old rusty manifolds.

I don't believe they make sold mounts for "spool" type motor mounts. They do make solid mounts for the "wedge" type

The urethane inserts work REALLY well.

And for the asking price, they're hard to beat.

Solid mounts are responsive, but they shouldn't be used without chassis modifications for strength. They are also very hard on aluminum bellhousings.

So, if you're running an automatic transmission, you might want to reconsider. If you are running a stick, you may want to upgrade to a scattershield for better driveline shock resistance.

Solids are pretty oldschool. The idea is kinetic reaction. The same reason why drag cars use carbs instead of fuel injection. There is no replacement for physical reaction.

I will say, though, that even with the reaction of a solid mount, the risks involved with high torque and quick shifts can start breaking things. Accumulator block rods in transmission shift kits and solid mounts. I've seen two trans cases peeled like an orange from that combo, up at the track on 11sec cars.

I'd go with a poly lock first, if I had to, on a disc mount. Urethane spool will do the same.

It's longivity also really ties in to driving habit/ technique. Most cars that I've driven in with solid mounts have loud exhaust and I can't hear myself think from the resonating in the cabin.

Solids are pretty oldschool. The idea is kinetic reaction. The same reason why drag cars use carbs instead of fuel injection. There is no replacement for physical reaction.

I will say, though, that even with the reaction of a solid mount, the risks involved with high torque and quick shifts can start breaking things. Accumulator block rods in transmission shift kits and solid mounts. I've seen two trans cases peeled like an orange from that combo, up at the track on 11sec cars.

I'd go with a poly lock first, if I had to, on a disc mount. Urethane spool will do the same.

It's longivity also really ties in to driving habit/ technique. Most cars that I've driven in with solid mounts have loud exhaust and I can't hear myself think from the resonating in the cabin.

Correctamundo Dave.. Done the solid mounts ,on thumpy Rats,( no problem there) The interlock's feel easier, on a mild build such as this....

not sure which forum this belongs in so I'll start in small block tech.

I use solid motor mounts in my scamp. I searched and searched and could not for the life of me find solid mounts ANYWHERE and I mean N-E-WHERE! so naturally the old man and I drew up some drafts and settled on 3X3 square steel as the mount itself. and I can honestly say I can feel the power and torque that the rubber in my old mounts was absorbing.

so really my question here is; would anyone here be interested in a set of these? the raw material is a little pricey, but I figured maybe some of those who race and are concerned with squeezing every bit of power out to the wheels would want to check em out. the "prototype" set on my car is about a half inch taller than stock, but we can make stock height as well. these are designed to work with flow tech headers and power steering, as the driver side was hitting the gearbox when the headers were installed.

so... interest, thoughts, criticism, and comments are welcome and appreciated. thanks FABO!

Here you go:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62520/overview/make/plymouth
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62540/overview/make/plymouth

I have had these on my car for.....well....at least 13 years, maybe longer. No problems.

for my 1973 duster I used 72 brackets and just welded 1/2 black pipe to it for the long thru bolt to pass through.

man i hated the solid mounts when they were on my dart. track car ok but not for a street car in my opinion.

-
Back