Solid roller cam wiped out

-

Mrpatel

512Dart
Reaction score
Big Red ate another cam shaft, this time a solid roller. Wore .063" off of #3 exhaust lobe. Looks like the roller tips on the lifters seized. Down for awhile.....

Comp .631, not sure what the lifters are. Should I consider a hydraulic roller for the street? Andrew

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

what other parts damaged by metal shards?
Not sure, it has happened gradually, I only put 500 to 800 miles a year on the car. It has happened in the last few 100 miles. Hoping the filter picked it up. I use VR1 and regular oil changes every year. Hoping I can get away with a new cam and lifters and call it good. No chuncks. Andrew

Do you have a pervious post on the engine?

Ahhhhh, I was hoping another thread might help clue me in to the problem. It could be so many things at this point. So sorry to see that. The cost some bucks and I know that sucks!

Ahhhhh, I was hoping another thread might help clue me in to the problem. It could be so many things at this point. So sorry to see that. The cost some bucks and I know that sucks!
Thanks

I really think the rollers seized up for some reason. Not sure if the lifters are poor quality and mm is closed down now.

LMAO! Hell yea!

I'm going to be running BAMM solid lifters.

how much valve lash were you running?

sorry to see this happen .

On the bright side, opportunity knocks to make it faster now that I have a reason to take it apart.
Run a tighter lash next time, ljke .016 ...maybe have the cam touched up if possible and go with morel roller lifters. Those comps are just a wheel and axle.

Cam card and builder recommended.020". Not sure .004" would have made much difference other than noise. Thanks for the suggestion though. Andrew

Cam card and builder precommended.020". Not sure .004" would have made much difference other than noise. Thanks for the suggestion though. Andrew
Pretty sure those aren't comps product. Dan

Here is the cam card. Pretty sure I will buy the same cam with better lifters and call it good. Although, I may call comp and see what they suggest as well. I have a 325 50 15 tires (28" tall) 3200 Lupo/ dynamic 9" converter and 4:30 gears, eddy rpm heads and intake and a 950 quick fuel annular carb. TTI headers with 1 3/4 primaries. Willing to upgrade to the 2" new step header and port the heads and intake.

IMG_1766.JPG

Here is the cam card. Pretty sure I will buy the same cam with better lifters and call it good. Although, I may call comp and see what they suggest as well. I have a 325 50 15 tires (28" tall) 3200 Lupo/ dynamic 9" converter and 4:30 gears, eddy rpm heads and intake and a 950 quick fuel annular carb. TTI headers with 1 3/4 primaries. Willing to upgrade to the 2" new step header and port the heads and intake.

View attachment 1715079517
I hope you can get the block clean. Looks like fragments on the rollers. Good luck with it all. Dan

Probably doesn't matter at this point but I'd guess imported just based on the diameter and count of the rollers.
I will find out. I am waiting for Mike to call me back. You are right, it doesn't matter, but I would still like to have a solid roller cam and drive on the street if possible for this exact reason that I was able to locate an issue running the lash. Maybe hydraulic lifters would have avoided this ? I don't know. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. Thanks again

I will find out. I am waiting for Mike to call me back. You are right, it doesn't matter, but I would still like to have a solid roller cam and drive on the street if possible for this exact reason that I was able to locate an issue running the lash. Maybe hydraulic lifters would have avoided this ? I don't know. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. Thanks again
if it's any consolation, similar problem on the oem hydraulic rollers in the newer HEMI's. it's not that frequent, but it's not unheard of either. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. Near as anybody can figure it is the outlier defective part. It can happen on an engine with only 10 or 20k miles, or one with 60k. You just hope it's on warranty.

if it's any consolation, similar problem on the oem hydraulic rollers in the newer HEMI's. it's not that frequent, but it's not unheard of either. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. Near as anybody can figure it is the outlier defective part. It can happen on an engine with only 10 or 20k miles, or one with 60k. You just hope it's on warranty.
I have a 2016 hemi ram and it starves for oil on start up after sitting for a few days. It sounds common to the 5.7 hemis. Think the canton system or acusump may be worth considering for dry starts after sitting, which mine does. (Dart).

-
Back