Solid Roller Lifters on Hydraulic Roller Cam

-

tubbedamx

Location Boise, Idaho
Reaction score
Building a 360 based 408 and have been looking at camshaft and more importantly camshafts that are in stock. Given the state of hydraulic lifters I would like to put solid roller lifters on hydraulic roller cam.

Having read on this site, not all hydraulic roller cams can handle a solid roller lifter I thought I would ask about the cam I have in mind.

Edelbrock cam #2213
Performance Camshafts at Summit Racing

With Herber solid lifters#
TEV Chrysler Vertical Bar Solid Roller Lifters

You can use sol lifters [ roller or FT ] on a hyd cam provided you keep the hot lash tight, 0.006-8".

This is easy with an all iron engine as hot lash is very close to cold lash. With alum heads, you have to set the cold lash tighter to allow for the expansion of the alum when hot.
Easy to find out the hot/cold lash difference for your engine.
Set lash to 0.005" cold. Have tools + feeler gauges ready to quickly remove a valve cover.

Get engine to operating temp, switch off, & remove v/cover. Find a loose rocker & measure the lash; next morning measure the lash on that same rocker. The difference is the hot/cold setting & you can adjust cold lash accordingly.

Those TEV lifters clear an LA block? I though they had to have the little V shaped link to clear the oil galley? I tried a set of Hemi straight bar lifters on a 360 and they hit something.

cam data identical to comps XR286hr cam.....used one before, ran good. check Xtreme Energy 236/242 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360. Maybe you can get the comp cheaper.....or a Lunati 20200713 or 20200712

These cams are cast cores, so they can´t handle really big spring pressures i was told. If you can keep spring pressure on the conservative side you should be good.

I do have a slightly used Lunati 20200713 if you are interested. Voodoo Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 294/302

Michael

cam data identical to comps XR286hr cam.....used one before, ran good. check Xtreme Energy 236/242 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360. Maybe you can get the comp cheaper.....or a Lunati 20200713 or 20200712

These cams are cast cores, so they can´t handle really big spring pressures i was told. If you can keep spring pressure on the conservative side you should be good.

I do have a slightly used Lunati 20200713 if you are interested. Voodoo Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 294/302

Michael
like both these cams!! very similar to one im gonna run soon...just cause erry body hate it soooo much lol... Mutha' Thumpr 235/249 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360

Those TEV lifters clear an LA block? I though they had to have the little V shaped link to clear the oil galley? I tried a set of Hemi straight bar lifters on a 360 and they hit something.
1671039710196.png

Found a review, Looks like your right...not a drop in. I'll keep shopping.

Michael
Michael , how much were you looking to get for the camshaft ?

Thank you
Ken

Thanks for all the replies, always learning.
I am currently using Morel solid roller lifters on a cast core Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam in a 1969 LA 340. No block or oiling mods.
No problems yet but I do not have many miles on it yet maybe 1000 miles

Does anyone know if the Herbert TEV solid roller lifters are set up to oil through the pushrods for magnum block ? apologies, not trying to high jack the thread.........Red B.

That brings up a great question.
Would a guy be better off in the long run to do both pushrod oiling and shaft. I feel like the benefits would out way the subtle loss in oil pressure.
I imagine a stock oil pump could handle that?

Does anyone know if the Herbert TEV solid roller lifters are set up to oil through the pushrods for magnum block ? apologies, not trying to high jack the thread.........Red B.
If they’re not I believe the AMC lifters are and they should be a drop in. Same diameter but check were the oil band is. Now I want to google it and find out

Would a guy be better off in the long run to do both pushrod oiling and shaft. I feel like the benefits would out way the subtle loss in oil pressure.

One or the other. Why would you want to add all the extra leaks into the system?

I am running the Xtreme Energy 236/242 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360 in my 408 with Morel Hyd roller lifters and 1.6 RRs. Got mine from Hughes....absolutely no issues at all. I plugged my block and am doing pushrod oiling.
Who’s rockers?
Oil via both methods hasn’t been an oil pressure issue for me.
Currently being done with Hyd roller.

With no oiling mods I went from using a stock oil pump to a Melling HV pump
Oiling thru the shafts, roller rockers and pressure feed roller wheels.
Hot idle oil pressure, in gear, with the standard oil pump was 15 to 20 psi, with the HV it is now 25-30 psi

Building a 360 based 408 and have been looking at camshaft and more importantly camshafts that are in stock. Given the state of hydraulic lifters I would like to put solid roller lifters on hydraulic roller cam.

Having read on this site, not all hydraulic roller cams can handle a solid roller lifter I thought I would ask about the cam I have in mind.

Edelbrock cam #2213
Performance Camshafts at Summit Racing

With Herber solid lifters#
TEV Chrysler Vertical Bar Solid Roller Lifters
Sorry I'm late I guess I'll have to get on here more often.If you want a Great cam Call me or Bullet cams Call BAM,here in Florida for lifters.(Brad used to work for Crane) Get them bushed with DLC coating.None of it is cheap .but put the $$$$ where it is needed Any of you need me Google Racing Products .Or Call (352)396-6049.Automotive Machine shop in North Central FL.Mopar by Blood

Sorry I'm late I guess I'll have to get on here more often.If you want a Great cam Call me or Bullet cams Call BAM,here in Florida for lifters.(Brad used to work for Crane) Get them bushed with DLC coating.None of it is cheap .but put the $$$$ where it is needed Any of you need me Google Racing Products .Or Call (352)396-6049.Automotive Machine shop in North Central FL.Mopar by Blood
Could you introduce yourself and what you do?
Would you have BAMM’s number?

Thought I already did .No Worries. I'm Dwayne .I own an operate Racing Products in North Central Florida.23 years automotive Mach experience .Mopar by Blood.
Racing Products (352)[email protected]
Brad @ BAM lifters(386)631-6401

-
Back