Solid roller lifters...

-
This photo better shows what I got in the end. It’s part of larger frame so the quality of image is affected. I need to drive a bit and check the plugs again.

Thanks for link, I think I saw this website before.

View attachment 1715964339
The color looks better still a bit lean i'd say.
Timing should be on at 34*
Need more time on the plugs to make accurate call.
I assume no vacuum advance seeing that you a using a crank trigger.

As measured, my old STX-19 was 263@.050.

It was ground back in 1972 when RB was in California.
I got it at a garage sale, never run, in 1987 for $25.

I had done the break in with the headers open, and it really sounded bad ***!!
Then, I bolted up my 2.5” pipes with turbo muffs that went to the axle...... and it did not like that one bit.
It was running happy as a clam with the open headers.
With how the carb was adjusted like that......after the muffs were installed, when you let off the throttle it would die like you shut the key off.
I figured the distributor moved. Nope.
I checked everything...... had to mess with the carb more to get it to idle with the muffs.
Took it for a ride, and it was kind of a pooch.
I messed with it for a while, and this was back when I drove it on the street quite a bit........ but I wasn’t happy with it.
I took it to the track once...... took the muffs off...... totally different car.
Ran great like that.

I called RB the next monday(still out in Ca), I told him it didn’t seem to run good with the exhaust on it.
He chuckled and told me........ no, it’s not going to be happy with mufflers.

That was the beginning of my camshaft education.
Just watched an Engine Masters episode where they tested mufflers and the Turbo Muff's were the worst out of all tested for power loss on the dyno.

The color looks better still a bit lean i'd say.
Timing should be on at 34*
Need more time on the plugs to make accurate call.
I assume no vacuum advance seeing that you a using a crank trigger.
Yes no vacuum advance. I was playing with MAP sensor as a way to advance timing but need to go back to basics before I do this again. I have msd 6al2 programmable box. What I’d do was set timing at 44 degrees on the trigger and use map sensor to advance and retard accordingly. It worked very well. I was pulling 10 degrees when vacuum was dropping due to acceleration. It was advancing to 44 when cruising. With previous cam my car was doing 11mpg with dominator on it.

Just small update. The lifters are impressive, I did around 700 miles and lash didnt change at all. Still waiting for holley jets size 50 to use as oil restrictors to the heads.
Cam exceeded my expectations, it idles great, no problem with drivability at all, there is one downside. I will not be able to use MAP to simulate vacuum advance that effectively due to vacuum it pulls. Id have to make an agressive ramp.
Normally when I drove around and throttle position isnt steady vacuum is between and 12 inHg. When I cruise steady at 3000 its 14 inHg which doesnt give me too much room for ramping up the timing. I will play with it some more for sure.
I didnt check fuel economy but it feels close to what it used to be, it is more thirsty but its not bad at all.
I will need to spend more on tires for sure...

-
Back