[FOR SALE] Solid State Rallye Gauge Instrument Voltage Regulators (IVR)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

67fish383S

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Contact seller
I wanted to replace my stock IVR with a safe and reliable solid state IVR, but didn't want to pay $50 or more for a pre-made unit. So I built my own. Since I needed to order multiples of the required parts, I made several of them. I am an EMC Engineer by trade, so I thought maybe I could save others the trouble. If you want to make the same conversion, I'm offering them for $25 including USPS First Class postage anywhere in the continental US. I accept PayPal or Venmo (friends and family - you pay the extra fees if you want buyer protection).

They are constructed with a L7805CV 5V regulator, a 47uF electrolytic capacitor, and a finned heat sink. They will accept up to 35VDC, output a steady and reliable 5V (up to 1.5A), and the transistor has thermal overload and short circuit protection.
IMG_8731.JPG

I will leave the leads long and include ring terminals so you can choose your mounting location.
IMG_8729.JPG

But the most logical place to mount it is in place of the stock radio noise filter.
IMG_8767.jpg

All were thoroughly bench tested after construction at 13.84VDC input and have a solid 5VDC output that will feed a smooth signal to the fuel, oil, and temp gauges using the factory PCB traces.

IMG_8718.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG

I will include comprehensive instructions with detailed pics for doing the modification and installation, but - full disclosure - it requires opening and modifying the stock fuel gauge, as that is where the archaic points-type stock IVR circuit lives. But the same mod is required if you install a store-bought unit. It is not difficult, but requires patience and care. I've done this mod on several A body rallye cluster assemblies and have had nothing but good results. No more worries about smoking your gauges by over-feeding them 12 volts. There are several threads in the FABO archives that describe the mod if you want to do some searching, or feel free to message me with questions. This is intended for rallye clusters, but can be adapted to a stock cluster with the plug-in IVR (you would do the mods though).

Here are some pics of my most recent cluster modified using this device being bench tested with a 12V power supply and a custom resistor box to supply LOW - HALF - FULL resistance values.
IMG_8759.JPG

IMG_8760.JPG

IMG_8761.JPG

IMG_8763.JPG

Last edited:
Just a quick update for all those who have placed an order: I indicated to some of you that I would be shipping today, March 6. But due to the overwhelming response I've had (I'm sold out of the original run and am working on building more of them), and that I am unfortunately still waiting on some more appropriate ring terminals to arrive, I will need to delay the first shipments by a day or so. I expect to have all of the IVR's that are currently paid for in the mail tomorrow (Tuesday, 3/7) or definitely by Wednesday (3/8) at the latest. Everyone will receive a tracking number when they are ready to send. Thanks for your patience with this minor hiccup.

@junkyardhero
@fnabody
@Rocket
@jazak5
@blown340
@66fyssh
@banzaibullitt
@Surprise67GT
@clementine
@DartmanTampabay

If you could, put me on the list for one. No hurry. Tried to PM you, but inbox full.
Sorry about that and I will PM you the details soon when I can clear some space. I guess I might need to break down and re-up my Gold membership so I can get a reasonable amount of inbox space lol.

UPDATE: I am finally caught up with building IVR's for everyone who has paid for them. Sorry for the slight delay, but I had more requests than I originally thought I would, and a few of the parts I needed did not show up when they were supposed to. I appreciate your collective patience. Those orders will all be shipping out later today and you'll receive tracking numbers from me by this evening:

@junkyardhero
@Rocket
@blown340
@66fyssh
@clementine
@DartmanTampabay
@walleyebum
@deviledchin
@DesertBarracuda

So that leaves me with enough parts on hand to build 4 more, which is not even enough to cover the remaining orders where people have spoken for them, but not yet paid:

@65wgn440
@Surprise67GT
@Tony Barracuda
@4spdragtop, I have not built yours yet, but will set parts aside for you because we've done business before.

I am considering taking a break for a minute before I order more parts and build more of these, but I'm not 100% on that. I will probably build more at some point either way, but what I can't stress enough is that the remaining 4 (well, really 3) will go first come, first served (I don't consider them sold until I receive payment is what I'm getting at).

Thanks!

I installed mine yesterday and removed the POS I made, lol. Instructions are great, I used option 2 for mounting and drilled out the hole in the chip and heat sink sorry, didn't think to take pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back