some advice/ opinions please

-

MoparChic71

Mopar Lover
Reaction score
Ok so I'm in the process of tearing down and rebuilding a 225. The internals are in great shape (way better than I would have imagined for a 44 yr old engine) the engine smoked but found that it needs valve seals and probably seats. Anyway my fiance seems to think I cant get 250 hp naturally aspirated (my 198 will go turbo eventually) for less than $1000. I think he's being closed minded but maybe I'm wrong. I already have a holly 390 and another holley 4bbl (I think 500cfm not sure) the aluminum intake and hooker 3x2 headers. So is this $1000 budget reasonable? If yes what could I do for the best gains? cam, bigger valves, mill the head? All comments welcome. Thanks! :)

I agree with JD.

But you are at option time.

IMO, don't leave yourself saying "I should have ............"

I had my 6r built for my wifes cuda. It was original to the car so I wanted to keep it so.

Long short...builder did the cam, ported, polished and milled heads, bigger ss valves, new pistons etc. I am using the 390, headers and aussie speed long runner intake.

He told me 180-190hp tops.

That's good enough for her.

If you want big hp go small or big block.

You can have as much as you want.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3869.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 238
I think, using an original shortblock, you're pushing doing 1hp/cu for $1000. IMO, one of the best places to make some power is the pistons. A goodset of pistons, modern rings, and modern cylinder wall finish will get good return on investment. You can also make some power in the heads but unless you spend a decent amount, I think you'll still fall short due to the lost efficiency of the factory worn lower end. With what you have- I'd suggest a good performance valve job, some head milling, and a cam swap. You "should" be able to get that done for right around $1000 depending on the valve work and parts in the head.

Thanks for the replies. Momoparman nice looking engine. Moper I was thinking the same things you mentioned. I already started porting the head also gasket matched the ports.
So what about a $2500 budget and 250+ horses still naturally aspirated and still a slant 6. I'm sure someone has done it but how much did or would it cost? Or would a salvaged parts turbo setup be more in that price range with a bigger power gain? Either of those options would need to be okay as a daily driver though. Can a carbed turbo be a decent around town cruiser?

Do a search in Mopar Muscle Magazine around 2004 Mopar Engines West did a slant build that was well documented. It was NA, fuel injected, but the article stated that they ran it with a carb also, but ran out of dyno time before jetting.234 CID. Made around 300 crank HP.Lots of work done to the head, offset ground crank,Aluminum rods,Etc. Just something to read.
I'm sure you will be hearing about going Turbo real soon.

Thanks for the replies. Momoparman nice looking engine. Moper I was thinking the same things you mentioned. I already started porting the head also gasket matched the ports.
So what about a $2500 budget and 250+ horses still naturally aspirated and still a slant 6. I'm sure someone has done it but how much did or would it cost? Or would a salvaged parts turbo setup be more in that price range with a bigger power gain? Either of those options would need to be okay as a daily driver though. Can a carbed turbo be a decent around town cruiser?

I'd talk to a couple of the dedicated slant guy on boards here. with a turbo you can get around the flow problem. to get to 250 hp? I don't know enough to help you at all. I do know I'm going to a turbo setup on mine after I finally get it running again and shooting for about a 40-60% increase in mine after a good Complete rebuild plus larger valve in the head and cranking the compression up to about 8.5 to 9 to 1 and still using it as a daily driver. I have a spare more door (almost all of it anyway) parts car without a roof,doors ect, welllll. I have the frame rails and cowl and parts of the floor anyway:D. That I can mock things up on since I want A/C,power steering AND a turbo. I might have to go rear mounted turbo to get all the goodies I want, but that might save me from having to add an intercooleror or again just add cost and complication if I do need to put one in at 8-10 psi boost.

Do a search in Mopar Muscle Magazine around 2004 Mopar Engines West did a slant build that was well documented. It was NA, fuel injected, but the article stated that they ran it with a carb also, but ran out of dyno time before jetting.234 CID. Made around 300 crank HP.Lots of work done to the head, offset ground crank,Aluminum rods,Etc. Just something to read.
I'm sure you will be hearing about going Turbo real soon.

I think this is the article series you mean:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0602_chrysler_slant_six_engine/viewall.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._1962_plymouth_valiant_slant_six/viewall.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._1962_plymouth_valiant_slant_six/viewall.html

If I did my math right, a 44 year old engine would be around a '69. If its all original, the head would have spark plug tubes, (commonly referred to as 'drool tube' heads) and have the desired combustion chamber for these heads. However, I've heard said they have thinner runner walls than the later, non-tube heads ('peanut heads'). Just a little bit of info for ya. If you read on slantsix.org, there is tons of information on builds, and what they were built for. Here is a link to an engine build matrix, http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23314

IIRC, this build had LOTS of custom pieces, and cost almost 10k. Slants aren't cheap for big, n/a power, but I think you should be able to get at least 1hp/ci for $2500.

It is possible to get 250 HP from a slant normally aspired, but it will not be a good street driver motor, and not for $1500. There is only one way to do it for that price. Nitrous. You need to do some research, on slants, and be realilistic in your goals.
Just to do a proper "stock" type rebuild will cost somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range, just for machining, and parts, depending on how much you can do yourself.
My 66 Barracuda has a stock 170 short block, except for a mild cam, a milled head and back cut valves. It is a legal street car. It is "all bottle, no throttle". The nitrous system cost in the neighborhood of $1000.
Based on the car weight of 3250 and 12.9 et, 102 mph, this is my calculated power.

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 269.31 rear wheel HP and 299.23 flywheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 246.25 rear wheel HP and 273.61 flywheel HP.

-
Back