Some education please. How to tell?

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Hi all,
I finally got the car I want to actually keep and throw money at, 71 Scamp factory V8 AC car. I'm trying to figure out what's in it, I know I need to decode the plate but some weird things. It looks like everything is pretty stock, meaning nothing has been cut up or rewired or stripped off, even the AC still hooked up. But, it has traction bars, dual exhaust, hood pins, obviously a cam from the idle, it has a factory 360 air cleaner but a two barrel holley, and an 8 3/4 rear end. I didn't think the 71 came with a 360 or the 8 3/4 ??? My first question is how do I tell if the rear has a limited slip, no cover to take off? I'm going to tap the bottom and change the fluid and I don't know if it needs additive, thanks.

Well, there are two ways. The fun way, back the car into the street; straighten the wheel, put in D and floor it. Examine tracks to see how many where left.
Or, you can jack the rear up with a jack under the differencial. When both wheels are off the floor and the car in N (and shut off, front wheels chocked) spin one of the rear tires. If the other side rear tire spins in the same direction you have a sure-grip. If it spins in the opposite direction it is open.
C

what does the dash vin read ? the fifth digit is the engine code, such as a "G" will designate a 318 , but that's not to say that's whats in there now. there is a vin stamping on the block above the pan rail on the passenger side, there is also a casting code on the drivers side block. if it has a THICK balancer , it is a 360 , if it has a THIN balancer its either a 318 or 340.
no cover on the axle is an 8 3/4, to find out if it a sure grip, jack up the rear wheels, if they both turn the same direction when spinning one side it is a sure grip, if one spins the opposite direction , it is a one wheel peel. jeeze , treed ^^^

Well that's a bummer, it's open diff. It would have been fun to test on the road but I have to work out a few things first. Thanks for the help.

Fifth digit is G, I can't see the block, the long tubes are blocking it. However it has the same thin balancer type as the one that was on the 360 I'm building. I knew from a short drive around the block that couldn't be a 318. Thanks guys, I'll have more questions soon I'm sure, I'll try to keep them to the correct forums. Being that it looks thin to me and it's the same as my known 360, what is thin, how thin?

Can you measure the base plate on the holley?
Center to center on the bolts that hold it to the intake manifold.
360 2 bbl have a larger bolt pattern than 318's.

Also 8.75" rear was available in 1971 for A-bodies.

Fifth digit is G, I can't see the block, the long tubes are blocking it. However it has the same thin balancer type as the one that was on the 360 I'm building. I knew from a short drive around the block that couldn't be a 318. Thanks guys, I'll have more questions soon I'm sure, I'll try to keep them to the correct forums. Being that it looks thin to me and it's the same as my known 360, what is thin, how thin?

Look under the front of the driver side head. Do you see anything stamped there? It will be stamped, not raised cast.

Side to side width of the carb is approx. 3.75 inches, on the head the header flange is blocking alot of view and I don't see anything stamped, there is a number 6 cast onto the head between the 1 and 3 spark plugs.

Side to side width of the carb is approx. 3.75 inches, on the head the header flange is blocking alot of view and I don't see anything stamped, there is a number 6 cast onto the head between the 1 and 3 spark plugs.

What he means is the block right below the head on the drivers side it is stamped on the front also. If it has power steering pump that may cover the stamp.

ok thanks, the code is GM318R 34122195 and sorta randomly crooked underneath that is a single 2. Looks like it is a 318?,... Wow, the way this thing ran in a 3k pound car I can't wait to see my 360 in it!!! This would just squeal the tire with a tap on the gas, I was hoping that the locker took a couple feet to lock up but no dice there. 8 3/4 with no lsd is a bummer.

-
Back