Some front end questions

-

BTYM

Reaction score
Hey y'all, so I learned awhile back that my car was originally a power steerling car, converted to manual steering probably when the previous owner swapped in a 318 in place of the /6. When I tried replacing my Idler arm, I learned that an Idler arm for a 1973 is the wrong part, it required the older style Idler arm. I also learned, after just doing my transmission, that it is a 1969 transmission. My guess is they had two mopars, this dart and a 1969 mopar. They must have swapped the engine, trans, used the steering gearbox off of the 69, the pitman arm, center link, and idler arm. My question is, what else is there? I plan on doing a complete front end rebuild. I want to replace the idler arm (again, I want a Moog idler arm…) the pitman arm, tie rods, strut rods, ball joints, torsion bars, shocks, rebuild the gearbox, and all bushings. How much of that would be 1969, and how much of it would be 1973? I already know the idler arm was 1969, so that means the center link, pitman arm, gearbox, and tie rods (maybe?) are all 1969, but would there be any difference in ball joints, control arm bushings, or anything else I should know about?

Only thing I know to do is point you back to your original thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=272633

Post no4.

Here's the general idea

You can use ANY 67 and later K member in ANY A body 67 and later, except that the 67 has a one year only inferior mounting for the idler. You can fabricate that so it takes a 68 / later idler

So far as 68 / later with the later K frame bracket, you must have THREE items "matched." That is the center link, the idler, and the pitman. Look at the diagrams in my post

What dictates which pitman you use is by whatever you have for a steering box, IE large or small spline shaft

The rest of the parts "could be mixed." That is, if someone has converted an otherwise "early" (67-72) setup to the late 73/ 74 disk brakes, you will find you have 73/ later upper / lower ball joints, late upper A arms and of course spindles and bearings, calipers and rotors, etc

You REALLY just have to check this stuff out. If there is any question, get it apart and measure it (such as bolt hole spacing on the lower ball joint) and post it here

Tie rod ends and sleeves don't matter "all that much." They pretty much all fit as long as you have a "pair" of inner and outer and the matching sleeve.

My car is a good example. As a 67 it went from there to "only" a 73 K member for the better mounts (a long story.)

When I got time I converted it to disk brakes, so the upper arms, ball joints, etc got changed, and a sway bar was added.

Now that it's torn down for paint it's going to go "back" to a late model power box. This has a large spline so NOW it will get a 73/ later center link and idler along with the box and pitman.

Thanks! I actually forgot all about that post, kinda makes this one null and void lol. It's been too long for me to make any progress I guess, I gotta get on it

-
Back