Some questions for a Magnum swap.

-

BillyJack1980

Reaction score
I picked up a 91 Dodge Dakota over the weekend. I know its not a a body but its a Mopar! It has the factory 318-5.2 it was the last year for the la 318. It has a factory tbi set up. My questions are will a 5.2 magnum or 5.9 magnum bolt in there with the mounts that I currently have on the stock 318? Been told there is no difference. I will be running a carb- so I can just use my factory fuel pump but I will have to run a regulator correct? Which regulator would you recommend? The stock 318 in there now has the serpentine belt set up all ready. It does have a smog pump, which I would like to remove. Also has power steering. Could I just take the timing chain cover off of the stock 318 and put it on the magnum and then run the serpentine belt set up I already have? If I remove the smog pump how to I go about making serpentine belt set up work? There would no longer be a pulley there. I picked up a 5.2 Magnum Dakota oil pan and a set of 92 Dakota 5.2 Magnum exhaust manifolds with the larger opening. I will be running a 904 or 727 tranny- although the truck does have a a500 overdrive tranny in there now. It has the lock up converter. I was told I could just run that if I make a power switch for it. I was thinking about maybe just putting a LD4B intake and 4 barrel on the stock 318 that's in there and running duals. But I think I would have a lot more power if I go with the 5.9 Magnum. I know I have to wire up a voltage regulator for my alternator and run a la distributor and electronic ignition. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of the stock motor.

DSCF1200.JPG

DSCF1201.JPG

DSCF1202.JPG

image.jpeg
I swapped a 5.9 magnum for my 318la block. I got motor mounts from Schumacher, about $140. Check with them for your application. I kept the serpentine belt. I went with a carb and used an electric fuel pump 4-6 psi. The timing chain covers were different. Magnum swap.com was a lot of help for me

Magnummopar on here does this stuff for a living and can answer any question you may have.
They also have a website at www.magnummopar.com with a lot of information as well as contact info.

Thanks guys. The stock 318 in my 91 Dakota is the first year of factory V8's in a Dakota, but it is the last year of the la. In 92 they went to the Magnum. I am pretty sure a 5.9 Magnum will bolt right in with the mounts I have. I am not sure about the serpentine belt set up I have. I would think I could just swap the front of my motor onto the 5.9 Mag and it would work. I think. Not sure how I would eliminate the smog pump. Once I remove it would i just run a smaller belt? I will send MagnumMopar a pm tomorrow.

Billyjack, loved your movies! You have whats commonly referred to as a 318 roller engine. The magnum heads are vastly superior to the LA smogers on the roller LA so I would bolt magnum into your truck. Use your timing cover and get the cam bolt/eccentric kit so you can run mech fuel pump I would run all the magnum serpentine parts which will eliminate the smog pump. You will have to slot your intake bolt holes, drill the heads or get a cross wind/edelbrock magnum air gap. I would keep the lock up trans as you will get better MPG and it wont hurt anything running it. You need a switch to lock it up but thats it. The magnum block has LA style tabs on block plus other mounting pads for Magnum trucks so no issues bolting it in. If I didnt answer all your questions or if you have more, just post here or pm. I usually answer quicker but we were hauling cars yesterday and again today....found a very cool mopar collection that we liberated from *** deep weeds. Super clean 67 270 with AC, no rust, perfect bumpers, grill and tail lights, 64, 68 valiant, 65 wagon, 66 wagon, 70 demon shell etc..did I mention it was 100 degrees in the shade today? Bees, burrs and bullshit but well worth the trouble. Its O beer thirty so I am out. Evan

-
Back