Some unwelcome excitement today

-

nuttyprof

Reaction score
I was driving home this morning and I accidentally got too far to the right on this asphalt road, ( no curbs, just dirt beyond the edge ). We had rain last night so the dirt was soft and slick so it pulled me further off the road till the left tires were barely on pavement.( road is 50 mph ) ended up clipping off a sign and hitting a field access at ~40 mph. luckily it only bent the core support causing radiator damage, and the hood/ bumper where the sign post hit. Not a good ride home:(. No one hurt, car isn't too bad. need a radiator and front bumper for a 62 Valiant /6.

Glad you did not get hurt....and the car only has minimal damage...

When I hit the ditch I thought it would roll or fold up when it hit the field access. I was lucky!

Glad no one was hurt. You can fix the car.

I was driving home this morning and I accidentally got too far to the right on this asphalt road, ( no curbs, just dirt beyond the edge ). We had rain last night so the dirt was soft and slick so it pulled me further off the road till the left tires were barely on pavement.( road is 50 mph ) ended up clipping off a sign and hitting a field access at ~40 mph. luckily it only bent the core support causing radiator damage, and the hood/ bumper where the sign post hit. Not a good ride home:(. No one hurt, car isn't too bad. need a radiator and front bumper for a 62 Valiant /6.

Glad u got it under control before it got worse and everyone is ok. I rolled a ramcharger back in the early 90s under the exact same circumstances u describe, except it was a boulder 4ft in diameter I hit instead of a sign.

No injuries. That's good. We will find some parts for you. tmm

Already got a grille and hood trim coming,but the hood itself ended up with a nice crease about a foot right of center and about 2" deep. I saw somewhere a tubular piece to replace the stock part that goes under the radiator, I probably aught to find one of those or an equivalent. Later this week I plan on running a winch between my pickup and the deepest spots on my Valiant's core support to pull it back out. Hopefully it will come back out ok.

Got the radiator support pulled out but when I got a good look at the radiator it has a gash cutting about 8-10 tubes and splitting the lower tank:( :( :(
Just came up with that radiator about a year ago.

I put a fan thru my original radiator once a while back. Had it recored with high efficiency copper. It was an unexpected expense, but my temperature problems all went away.

-
Back