someone school me on my A833 for my swap Please

-

jeremy2146

Reaction score
So I picked up an A833, I'm wanting to convert my car to a manual. I've done a bunch of searching and studying and its all starting to blur together at this point.
The guy I bought it from said it was from a '76 A Body, that's all he really knew about it.

I ran the numbers and its coming up as a '77 model.
So here are the numbers on it;
5.125" front bearing retainer, 23 spline input, 26 spline output #C13157
12.5" Aluminum tail shaft #C 133 64A 4-26-77
Case has the interlock style cover on it #C 13303 G 4-1-77
and the raised id plate is stamped: 7B432450
PP8335795

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do for a bellhousing to mate to a smallblock 360
I can do the machining but haven't really found too much on which one I should start with, Is the bigger bearing cover mainly used for big blocks? Thanks in advance!

That sounds like the O/D version of the 833.The over drive 833's had the larger bearing retainer and you'll need to find a over drive bell housing to be able to use it. I have a o/d set up, I found the bell housing at Carlisle a few years back. Is yours a cast iron main case or aluminum? Cast iron is the better set up. The bell housing should bolt up to your 360 motor with no problem. Make sure you have the correct 130 tooth 360 flywheel, it is balanced differently then a 318/340 steel crank.

Yeah the guy said it was the OD unit, it is all aluminum (case, tailshaft, and side cover)
I think I might have found which one I can use at brewers performance.

why would the cast ones be better?
And aren't all the A833 overdrive?

You're on the right track for your swap. The good news is that you can use everything.

The larger 5.125" bearing retainers are used for the later transmissions. I'm almost certain that this is an Overdrive unit. Most of the 26 spline main shaft aluminum case ones were.

The way to tell is to pull the side cover bolts off, pop the cover off and have a look at the cluster gear down low. If the trans is a 1:1, the gears will get sequentially larger/ smaller. If it is an O/D, the largest gear will be in the #3 position, 2nd gear tooth set from the front of the case on the countershaft gear.

The shift links on the side of the cover, if you have not moved them, will also show the front 3/4 shift lever facing the opposite direction (up or down) of the other link that shifts the low gears.

You can use one of the three bellhousings that either have 5.125", 4.807" or 4.354" index holes and get what you have to work, as long as the bell is going to clear the 130 tooth flywheel and 10.5" clutch disc/ pressure plate.

There is a way to get any of those three bells to work, which should help you find one for the small block a lot easier than hunting down the 5.125", although that will save you some work.

Most of what I've found have the 4.354" hole, which can be punched out to a 4.807" and the retainer cut down to fit, without running into the fork pivot bracket holes nearby, as long as you only cut enough material out of the back side of the bell to get it to go in, it leaves enough room for the bolts on the front side, which only go about halfway into the bell.

You will need the fork, z bar, fork mount points for the car and the trans, bushings, pushrod for the pedals, the pedals themselves, the sheet metal for the floor, a shifter, a handle and either a pilot bushing, or if your 360 has the large hole, Brewer's Performance carries a pilot bearing that will work.

I don't know how much torque you will be pulling, so I can't make a clutch suggestion, but McLeod has a nice line of inexpensive diaphragm type pressure plate/ clutch kits that are a lot easier on your feet and don't require such a heavy duty pedal return spring, when compared to the 3 finger type pressure plate sets.

Thanks DaveBonds!
I was just reading on allpar and it is infact an overdrive with the 1.00 for 3rd and .73 for 4th. I will look into what I can fond for a decent priced bell housing, but I did find the brewers has one for the 75-80 A/F Body smallblock which also works in the trucks also.

I'm also going to run my 318 for now until I get my stroker done that way I wont have to swap from external to internal balanced on the flywheel.
What kinda power will this overdrive unit withstand? Is it going to ok for a mid level stroker engine? I've lightening the car so I don't thing there will be a lot of weight to push around.

That sounds like the O/D version of the 833.The over drive 833's had the larger bearing retainer and you'll need to find a over drive bell housing to be able to use it. I have a o/d set up, I found the bell housing at Carlisle a few years back. Is yours a cast iron main case or aluminum? Cast iron is the better set up. The bell housing should bolt up to your 360 motor with no problem. Make sure you have the correct 130 tooth 360 flywheel, it is balanced differently then a 318/340 steel crank.

Were all the 318's steel crank? The one that's in the car isn't the original, and I have no idea what its out of. How can I tell if its steel or cast without pulling it? and is there a difference in flywheels for a cast and steel crank, I guess that's what I'm really asking.

I guess my next question is, will any 833 shifter and linkages work? I was wanting to go with the hurst setup, just need to know I guess. I really appreciate your guys' help on this

The hurst shifter unit will work on all, as they are all one and the same, with very minimal differences that have to do with things that don't matter, like grease zircs being installed later on, etc. They all work and function the same.

linkages have to be for the A/F body short tailshaft/ housing, as there are two different tailshafts with three different shifter mount locations, between the two tailshaft housing main types.

The B/C/E/Truck type uses a longer main shaft and housing with two different shifter location options and your A/F body that uses the middle of the road location on the shaft housing. The A body links can be had on Brewers, but the hot ticket is to make them from threaded thick wall tubing and 3/8 heim joints, because it eliminates all of the end play that the stock rods and bushings allow, meaning less multiplied slop at the handle of your shift lever.

You've got the right one for the car. The deal with the aluminum case transmissions is that they are lighter duty than the steel case.

Gears inherently want to spread apart from each other when tension is applied between them. This causes the main shaft/ input shaft and gear assembly to physically force the cluster gear and countershaft that it spins on, away from the main shaft. There is a sleeve in the front of the case that supports the countershaft and attention should be paid to the case for cracking and other signs of stress.

You don't have to think about horsepower, so much as shear torque and shock. Things like the type of tire, tire diameter and width, overall vehicle weight and driving habit/ technique have more affect on the case. If the tires bite and the car goes forward in a hurry, you can hurt the aluminum case.

The aluminum is also susceptible to heat expansion/ contraction in use, so inherently, the aluminum transmissions tended to lose the gasket seal quicker than the steel case ones. This is not a big deal, if the trans wasn't starved of oil, but things to look for are a worn or scored output yoke bearing/ bushing. Good gaskets solve the problem if your hard parts are ok and output bearings are easy enough to replace.

The shift handle is entirely up to your preference, but be sure the lever will fit your seat and console/ lack thereof application.

you may consider getting an iron side cover, shift levers and trans case that has a 4.160" bolt circle (center to center bolt cross measurement on the 4 bolts) at the bearing retainer. The aluminum tailshaft and all of the parts, with the exception of the shift forks, levers, side cover and its shouldered bolts will transfer, when you're ready to monkey with a 408.

If you're serious enough about that 360 to use the 408 stroke, that aluminum case at the countershaft gear sleeve may be in trouble, depending on how you drive and the tires you have.

I think the aluminum case would be good up to about 350ft lbs with street tires, driving the piss out of it. I would not take it any further.

Another run in that you may experience is the 3.09 first gear. These transmissions were made for the road and have a traffic first gear in them. Great for street use, but not at all like the 2.6's that the HD 18 splines got that cracked backs. You'll be in and out of that gear quick.

Passon does make a Hemi O/D set with a really nice spread, but get ready to shell out for them. You are locked into 3.09 front gear, because of the combined cluster gear on the countershaft.

Depending on what you are planning to do with the car on a regular basis, the O/D may be a good or a bad thing for your needs.

McLeod sell a nice flywheel that has bolt on weights, this way you can change between neutral balance and external balance.

Thanks again DaveBonds!!! I plan on running 10.5 wide in the rear on a 9" with ladder bars. I am pretty easy on everything I own, and am just building a nice street car. I now wish I had a different 833 but I think this one will work for now.

Also; That O/D gear is pretty petite. I have blown a couple of them up with my 366. They are strictly for cruising. If you forget to be nice when shifting into it it gives up in a hurry.And its easy to forget.
Also; that 1-2 split is a real deal breaker if you are making any kind of torque. The ratios in that set are; 3.09-1.67-1.00-.73 and the % splits are 54-60-73. Those are some pretty big splits. If youre shifting out at 6000 say, your Rs will fall to 3240, and 3600.Those are some deep holes to climb out of. But it gets worse. In casual driving, you will want to shift at about 2800,maybe less. Well, the Rs will fall to 1512 and 1680.Your cam better be cooperating.
Now, lets run the numbers with the 2.66 set. The ratios are; 2.66-1.92-1.40-1.00 and the %splits are 72-73-71. THe 6000rpm outshifts are 4200,4380 and 4260. With the right cam that could be very near the torque peak.And the 2800 numbers are 2016,2044 and,1988.Thats much more streetcam friendly.
Depending on your hearts desire,the direct 4th,and 3.55s will cruise ok at 2646 /60mph, and 27" tires.

Ok AJ/Forms. I have a new perspective on what I want to setup. I will probably swap in a different 833 after I get it together, right off the bat I will only be running a 318, which is in the car now, but my question in if I bought the overdrive bellhousing, with the 5.125" hole, can I use that on the smaller bearing faced 833's with a spacer ring? Ive seen some pictures showing a ring to fill the gap for the smaller inputs on a larger opening of the bellhousing.

Dave
I tried swapping my O/D stuff into cast iron 2.66 cases. In neither of the two that I tried would it go. In both cases that big cluster gear hit the pass side of the case long before the pin lined up.I dont remember the amount of interference, only that I was unwilling to grind that much out. Instead I had the al.box machined to accept a steel front bushing.Later I bought thePasson Al.box(very nice BTW)
My question is; do you think my cases were the exception?

Ok AJ/Forms. I have a new perspective on what I want to setup. I will probably swap in a different 833 after I get it together, right off the bat I will only be running a 318, which is in the car now, but my question in if I bought the overdrive bellhousing, with the 5.125" hole, can I use that on the smaller bearing faced 833's with a spacer ring? Ive seen some pictures showing a ring to fill the gap for the smaller inputs on a larger opening of the bellhousing.

So you want to later use the bell housing with the larger hole with a transmission that has a smaller bearing retainer? Yes, there's a ring that can be pressed in to do that.

Brewer's Performance carries that ring; as well as Passons Performance. At least I'm pretty sure they do. Give either of them a call to double check.

I totally see what you want to do. You don't want to waste the investment of the bell housing and have to buy another bell housing. You want to convert it from big to small instead of buying a replacement bell housing. Makes sense to me.

You also might want to talk to Jamie Passons at Passon Performance and see what he can do with that O/D unit as far as strengthening, but it it may be true that a stroker just might kill it. It will probably be great with that 318 though.

I think it would be easier to do that and not have to modify a bell and retainer, unless someone has a non OD 833 theyre willing to part with.

If your teener has a short period cam it will like the O/D. I ran a stock short-blocked 1973 teener with the that O/D box. It was fine, with 3.55s.

I guess I don't understand what a "teener" is haha but yes, I'm going to be running 3.55's in it though, should make for a nice cruiser

-
Back