Something doesn't sound right!

-
If it was a knock, (with engine off) :) sometimes you can grab the crank pulley and slightly rotate back and forth like you'd do to see if timing chain has slop and you might be able to feel or hear a sound of any excess bearing clearance or other issue.

So I pull the passenger valvE cover and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. All push rods looked good. There was no extra up and down movement and they were covered in oil. It's never the first thing you check.

Drivers side looked the same. I just went and got some new oil so tomorrow I change the oil and throw the gauge on it to see what pressure I have.

Doesn't sound like lower end to me. But it's not "just" and exhaust leak there. I'd pull the valve covers and intake and take a look at the cam and lifter preload.
My best guess via laptop speakers is a lifter. A cylinder sounds weak. The sound occurring after the engine and oil is warmed up supports the idea of a lifter and a bad/stuck check valve. Did you actually check the lifter preload? That's hard to impossible to do with the intake still on.

Have you done a compression test on all cylinders?

What oil weight and brand are you running?

My best guess via laptop speakers is a lifter. A cylinder sounds weak. The sound occurring after the engine and oil is warmed up supports the idea of a lifter and a bad/stuck check valve. Did you actually check the lifter preload? That's hard to impossible to do with the intake still on.

Have you done a compression test on all cylinders?

What oil weight and brand are you running?

All cylinders have good compression but I did not check preload. Also 10w-40

If I had a nickle for every time I heard that,I'd probably fill a pickle jar.

So in your opinion, what is good? And how long ago was it this good?

IMO good is 165psi just after the last run.
IMO very good is 185 with aluminum heads and a 276* cam. This will run pretty strong.
IMO only a handful of guys can successfully run over 200 with pump-gas.
IMO poor is 130 and a 268* cam. This won't wake up until 40mph in first,with 3.55s.
IMO 145 plus/minus 10psi,with iron heads will make a reasonable runner, depending on what cam it it's married to and the rest of the combo.
IMO tho, at 135 or less; you might as well put the 2bbl back on along with the log-manifolds. OK, maybe a short term alternative could be a big TC and big rear gears.
IMO;And finally 120 and less, I am expecting nothing in terms of performance.

Last edited:
If I had a nickle for every time I heard that,I'd probably fill a pickle jar.

So in your opinion, what is good? And how long ago was it this good?

IMO good is 165psi just after the last run.
IMO very good is 185 with aluminum heads and a 276* cam. This will run pretty strong.
IMO only a handful of guys can successfully run over 200 with pump-gas.
IMO poor is 130 and a 268* cam. This won't wake up until 40mph in first,with 3.55s.
IMO 145 plus/minus 10psi,with iron heads will make a reasonable runner, depending on what cam it it's married to and the rest of the combo.
IMO tho, at 135 or less; you might as well put the 2bbl back on along with the log-manifolds. OK, maybe a short term alternative could be a big TC and big rear gears.
IMO;And finally 120 and less, I am expecting nothing in terms of performance.

I got 160 psi. I went back and found my old thread and I had the same Psi when I made a thread about it a year or so ago.

OK, sounds like not a cylinder issue. Oil weight is not too low.

Oil brand? Looking to see if you have adequate ZDDP just in case the cam dropped a lobe. But that would likely show up in a poor compression on the effected cylinder, so probably not that.

So that goes back to a lifter having an issue and not holding oil pressure and being beat down by the spring pressure. I guess some Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam would not hurt at this point to see if it cleans out some speck of crud.

Again, this thinking is just from listening over internet devices which is not the best sound quality. But it sure sounds like the Crane lifter that slowly went bad over the course of 1000 miles in my son's 340 engine... which would get worse after warming up. It has the same compression level as your engine, and that seems to show up weak lifters and cylinders quickly. You could hear one exhaust side with a distinct mild 'miss' when warmed up.

OK, sounds like not a cylinder issue. Oil weight is not too low.

Oil brand? Looking to see if you have adequate ZDDP just in case the cam dropped a lobe. But that would likely show up in a poor compression on the effected cylinder, so probably not that.

So that goes back to a lifter having an issue and not holding oil pressure and being beat down by the spring pressure. I guess some Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam would not hurt at this point to see if it cleans out some speck of crud.

Again, this thinking is just from listening over internet devices which is not the best sound quality. But it sure sounds like the Crane lifter that slowly went bad over the course of 1000 miles in my son's 340 engine... which would get worse after warming up. It has the same compression level as your engine, and that seems to show up weak lifters and cylinders quickly. You could hear one exhaust side with a distinct mild 'miss' when warmed up.

Brad Penn oil. I am changing it this afternoon to take a look at it.

-
Back