Son of a B**ch

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was on my way to a neighboring city tonight for a cruise-in. I had been invited by a friend to make the 60 mile trek. I had only gone about 20 miles and hit a big traffic jam. Big for around here anyway. As I was slowly moving along on an incline where the highway turns into a bridge I heard something bounce off of the floor of the car. Shortly afterward there was a big clang from under the hood. By this time I was on the bridge and there was no place to stop as it was one lane in each direction. I new right away what the problem was from the shaking that started. Yup, my harmonic balancer had come off. I figure the first noise was the bolt bouncing off of the floor and the second noise was the balancer hitting the fan. I got to the top of the bridge and coasted to the bottom and pulled over. It's a long high bridge. I lifted the hood and there was my balancer sitting between the rad and the block. It doesn't look like any other damage occurred. I sure am glad this didn't happen when I was at speed. I have all of the parts needed to fix it, but it sure put a damper, (pun not intended), on my night. I will say though, that this is the first real problem I have had with the car since I finished building it 4 years ago. Other than a wiped cam. OH WELL, I will fix it in the morning and use more locktight on the bolt.

Jack

out of curiosity do you have any clue how tight it was? I don't go too crazy with mine and have never had an issue yet.

One time on a car I tightened it up and left the wrench on it. Then later on i started the car up and hurt a noise shut it down quick. the wrench on there hit the frame and took the bolt out. everything stayed on minus the bolt. :eek:ops:

I would like to think I am slightly smarter than that now!:toothy9:

That's funny Dan. LOL

If I remember right, I torqued it to 85 ft lbs. But that was probably 2 years ago so my memory could be wrong.

Jack

Hard to believe that millions of slanters drove around with the balancer just bashed onto the end of the crank! Only the belts holding it on.

out of curiosity do you have any clue how tight it was? I don't go too crazy with mine and have never had an issue yet.

One time on a car I tightened it up and left the wrench on it. Then later on i started the car up and hurt a noise shut it down quick. the wrench on there hit the frame and took the bolt out. everything stayed on minus the bolt. :eek:ops:

I would like to think I am slightly smarter than that now!:toothy9:

Thats too funny........I remember putting an L-handle and socket on a stiff bolt one time and used the starter to take it off :sign7:

make sure you have a real good look at the key way on the crankshaft and if the old key is still there put a new one in / from my experience when the balancer flys off the keyway gets hammered not a good thing at all

Glad no damage,Coyote.I had a friend with a8 71 roots on top of a 496 BBC have his balancer go through the rad on a high 9 pass on the top end.Thats freakin scary!

Good to hear there was no real damage. Funny how the things you least expect to act up, do. We should start a poll on how many folks here have had a wiped cam. I keep hearing about it more and more.

Unfortunate that you had the balancer come off but at least in the grand scheme of things no real damage was done.

Hey Jack, I'm glad you had no damage! Just shows that you never know when something can happen! I hope you get it fixed with no issues.. Craig.

I should find out if everything is good in a couple of hours. Like I said, I have all the parts I need. I have a spare 360 that the block is no good to rob the parts from. This is the last thing that I would have thought would happen.

Jack

I saw your thread title and figured you had a tornado too Jack. :-D Glad to hear it was easy to figure out and a relatively simple fix ... we do share the point that it could've been a lot worse than it was!

-
Back