Sopa

-
There is some issue on both sides of that. . . There is piracy on the internet and forums..

I have seen peoples work on car sites copied and duplicated and sold, there is a problem but regulating it is going to be a mfpita and no one is going to like it.

Some examples of selling a companies product used in the sopa and pipa such as ebay and craigslist and forums like these are just absurd, but someone like RMS and then you or i copy his work and sell it is a issue that needs attention.

I know trans guys that this has happened to and other people, there is a issue here but it's gonna be a sob to straighten out.
IN most cases if, IF the forum owner and mods used there heads and immediately killed posts showing stuff like that sopa and pipa wouldn't exist.

The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who makes the request, the court order could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators such as PayPal from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for 10 such infringements within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement.[4]

Proponents of the bill say it protects the intellectual property market and corresponding industry, jobs and revenue, and is necessary to bolster enforcement of copyright laws especially against foreign websites.[5] They cite examples such as Google's $500 million settlement with the Department of Justice for its role in a scheme to target U.S. consumers with ads to buy illegal prescription drugs from Canadian pharmacies.

Opponents say that it violates the First Amendment,[6] is Internet censorship,[7] will cripple the Internet,[8] and will threaten whistle-blowing and other free speech.[6][9] Opponents have initiated a number of protest actions, including petition drives, boycotts of companies that support the legislation, and even proposed service blackouts by major Internet companies scheduled to coincide with the next Congressional hearing on the matter.

The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who makes the request, the court order could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators such as PayPal from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for 10 such infringements within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement.[4]

Proponents of the bill say it protects the intellectual property market and corresponding industry, jobs and revenue, and is necessary to bolster enforcement of copyright laws especially against foreign websites.[5] They cite examples such as Google's $500 million settlement with the Department of Justice for its role in a scheme to target U.S. consumers with ads to buy illegal prescription drugs from Canadian pharmacies.

Opponents say that it violates the First Amendment,[6] is Internet censorship,[7] will cripple the Internet,[8] and will threaten whistle-blowing and other free speech.[6][9] Opponents have initiated a number of protest actions, including petition drives, boycotts of companies that support the legislation, and even proposed service blackouts by major Internet companies scheduled to coincide with the next Congressional hearing on the matter.

I think I have heard a little about this. One of the negative aspects is if YOUR kid makes a video of him/her self dancing to a popular song and post it on you tube, you, you tube and anyone else connected with can be found guilty and prosecuted for copy right infringement.

But the artist who wrote and recorded the song also deserves some protection from other people copying,selling, downloading the song for free and deserves to have the profits from his/her work.

In short.....

This is the first step in our government policing, regulating and controlling my ability to watch Brazilian fart ****.

And we all know..... Once you have the internet, you can't go back to Playboy.

This law will ruin boards such as this as we know it. All we'd need is for ONE post of some link from another site, a photo, ANYTHING of that nature, and bingo, this site could be shut down.

I see full well the need for posting CREDIT where credit is due. One TV broadcaster was hinting that "pirating" material from their site was taking advertising away from the site. One the contraray, I say.....if you post a link to a news story which links to the broadcaster's website, that is giving them more traffic.

I think the "voice of reason" needs to step in, something that various govt's never seem to be able to do.

By they way, it's not "Sopa." It's SOPA

I know all of you like to crap on Obombadma, but the white house has announced non support of this bill

I think I have heard a little about this. One of the negative aspects is if YOUR kid makes a video of him/her self dancing to a popular song and post it on you tube, you, you tube and anyone else connected with can be found guilty and prosecuted for copy right infringement.

no way... becasue its only piracy or theft if you try to sell it, say that its your product or song....

now trying to sell music you downloaded off limewire or a cd then yea...

Care to place a bet on who wins this fight,.....The White House and John Q Public or Big Money Corperations....

The white house is asking for more than the ability to stop pirated music and movies.. Big Brother is in the shadows.

By they way, it's not "Sopa." It's SOPA

The posting title changed my all caps to only first letter caps. I suppose i should have used periods to signify the abbreviation.

Also I understand that stuff is being stolen on the internet, but this bill does not seem to be a good solution.

its only piracy or theft if you try to sell it,...

Sorry but "that just ain't true." Almost ANY statement of copyright says something such as

"unauthorized reproduction in any form."

Many copyrights statements prevent copying material LEGALLY even for private use.

I heard about this. Obama Admin started this crap. Congressman Issa is working to disassemble it and block it. It's just more government intervention and control of the free market. i.e. kill the private market, depend on the goverment to protect you.

Obama Admin started this crap..

LEARN YOUR FACTS. I don't like Obombadomba either, but HIS ADMISTRATION DID NOT "start this crap."

This bill was sponsered by a Rebublican, and the White House has made statements NOT supporting this bill.

The Stop Online Piracy Act was introduced by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and was initially co-sponsored by Howard Berman (D-CA), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), Steve Chabot (R-OH), John Conyers (D-MI), Ted Deutch (D-FL), Elton Gallegly (R-CA), Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Timothy Griffin (R-AR), Dennis A. Ross (R-FL), Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Lee Terry (R-NE). As of December 17, 2011, there were 31 sponsors.[

Among the items Democrats want to pass this year is a widely despised Internet piracy law that supporters say is aimed at protecting intellectual privacy but opponents say will shut down social media. Senator Harry Reid (D) said he expected it will pass the Senate.

However, on Saturday, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said he secured an agreement with Republican leaders that the legislation will not be brought to the House floor until a consensus is reached to address concerns of the Internet community.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...arty-extremism/?test=latestnews#ixzz1jahWoEAC

no way... becasue its only piracy or theft if you try to sell it, say that its your product or song....

now trying to sell music you downloaded off limewire or a cd then yea...

I hear your point, but this legislation is written the way that I explained it. This would allow them to go after the kids and youtube for just using a popular song to dance to and posting it. There is no harm done there, just kids having fun, but they could go after the kids and their parents for violating copy rights and shut down youtube for allowing them to post it.

This is why we need to call and voice our opinions and not let them pass this. Just like the "patriot act" and "homeland security act" we will be stuck with the consequences afterward, no matter how reduculous it sounds.

-
Back