Sorry not an A body,But I need help with Arrow pickup brakes.

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
I have a 79 arrow pickup 2wd. Rotors are a tiny solid brake rotor. calipers and pads are tiny.

The truck currently has a gm 4.3 in it but I intend to magnum v8 swap it. I really would like to find a bigger front brake set up with a ventilated rotor. I want regular off the shelf parts not something like a wilwood as this is going to be a daily driver.

Im not married to any particular wheel bolt pattern as I will change a rear axle later but I would prefer 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.

I'm sure this has been done but Im ignorant of these little trucks and hate to reinvent the wheel so any suggestions are really appreciated. I have tried mightyram50.com as well as trucksonly.com.
I find lots of guys swapping toyota stuff on to the second generation D50 but nothing on the first gen.

https://www.fortrucksonly.com/truckforum/login/

Wildwood. Get ahold of them. I’m sure they have a solution for you.
Syleng1

Being Mitsubishi, there are a buncha expensive performance kits that are avail, but I often have to offset rotors to allow for big brakes with small wheels and there are always class rules.
I've had great success knocking the rotors off the hubs, machining hubs as nec to fit the rotor diameter/offset/vented/etc to specs nec for the application.
I usually use inexpensive finned alum calipers avail from many imports .
This isn't just a bolt on, takes some experience/fabrication, and could be very challenging for a novice.
Here's one of the rotor guides I use, there are others.
If it helps, I recently used Mazda RX7 rotors on the stock Toyota hubs, with the 4 piston finned alum calipers from same.
Another needed 13 wheels, so I used 4" offset Mini rotors/hats to bring calipers inboard of the wheels.
Search for Mitsubishi performance sites, or find what hubs you have.
Good luck, - it can be done, I think those cars came turbo, if so, what brakes ?

Last edited:
@Hyper_pak Stan might be able to help. He has a lot of experience with the Colts. Aren't they similar?

Being Mitsubishi, there are a buncha expensive performance kits that are avail, but I often have to offset rotors to allow for big brakes with small wheels and there are always class rules.
I've had great success knocking the rotors off the hubs, machining hubs as nec to fit the rotor diameter/offset/vented/etc to specs nec for the application.
I usually use inexpensive finned alum calipers avail from many imports .
This isn't just a bolt on, takes some experience/fabrication, and could be very challenging for a novice.
Here's one of the rotor guides I use, there are others.
If it helps, I recently used Mazda RX7 rotors on the stock Toyota hubs, with the 4 piston finned alum calipers from same.
Another needed 13 wheels, so I used 4" offset Mini rotors/hats to bring calipers inboard of the wheels.
Search for Mitsubishi performance sites, or find what hubs you have.
Good luck, - it can be done, I think those cars came turbo, if so, what brakes ?
Thanks . I'm thinking I may just mount some 4 piston Toyota calipers on a weld on bracket and use some slip on toyota rotors.
I was just trying to find a bolt on solution. The older I get the more I want a factory solution for ease of sourcing parts whenever and wherever i need.

Thanks . I'm thinking I may just mount some 4 piston Toyota calipers on a weld on bracket and use some slip on toyota rotors.
I was just trying to find a bolt on solution. The older I get the more I want a factory solution for ease of sourcing parts whenever and wherever i need.

It would be convenient to have an upgrade kit.
I would look to see if Mits... made a vehicle with vented bigger brakes.
Lotta OEM parts are from other manufacturers like Bendix, Kouko?, others I can't remember, are sorta interchangeable in breed.
They made performance Colt/Omnis for rallying, maybe track some of that stuff down ,
Good luck, questions welcome if you want to DM me.

-
Back