Sos valve seal help fast

-

tekslk

Reaction score
67 plymouth 360
eldenbroch heads
double valve springs as recommended by comp cams
Problem is springs must be hitting seal and deterioting it, This took less than two years. Checked with machine shop they used a white seal and said these are smallest diameter they know of.
Whats everyone else using, any names or part numbers are needed fast so i can roll for the weekend.

We had viton in they were the white ones Tore up in about 3000 miles or a year and a half driving, What could be wrong My cam lift is just short of 500

What exactly is the symptom that led you to believe the springs are making contact with the seals?

If that is the case though, where is the spring making contact with the seal? On top or on the sides? If it's on the top you need more guide to retainer clearance. If it's chewing up the sides then you clearly need a larger diameter inner spring or perhaps need to trim down the guides. Really though, they either fit or they don't. May not be just a simple swap to a different brand.

Turn the motor over and watch what is happening. If it's not obvious then you need to take it apart, measure everything and decide if you have enough clearance, Clarence.

The sides are getting tore up, I see on ebay they have viton seals for triple valve springs that may work. Mine are a double with the other piece in there you really cant see. I had smoke coming from exshaust pipe when we started to check around this is what we came up with. Intake on number 7 was all tore up. Had to dissamble to see it, naturally the hardest one to do.

The sides are getting tore up, I see on ebay they have viton seals for triple valve springs that may work. Mine are a double with the other piece in there you really cant see. I had smoke coming from exshaust pipe when we started to check around this is what we came up with. Intake on number 7 was all tore up. Had to dissamble to see it, naturally the hardest one to do.

Well, just make sure that you know or measure the inside diameter the spring and outside diameter of the seal before you start reassembly. It's possible that the guides are just a tad to large and could be causing the seal to mushroom slightly, but that's doubtful.

Also might want to verify you don't have coil bind. Just cause Comp recommends a spring does not mean that they will drop in to your application and work perfectly without verification.

Likewise, if you paid someone to do this for you, might want to get them to take a look at it (and make it right) since this should have been checked before the heads went out the door. That's basic setup.

Can it be ran without the dampner? x2 on measuring everything this time.

Can it be ran without the dampner? x2 on measuring everything this time.

The dampner is to reduce/control valvetrain harmonics. Call Comp and see what they say about it. If it's designed with a dampner and that's what they recommend, there's a reason for that whatever it may be.

The symptom was smoke out the right exhaust pipe. Did compression check they were all the same. There was oil on the threads of number 7 plug so we started with that valve. Bingo.

So you have a picture of your valve seal? there are three different kinds...

I see Vinton makes valve seals for triple springs maybe I can get a measurement from them . I'm gonna fix them all while its down for this if I just do numbed 7 the rest are gonna need it eventually.

No picture its at my friends house. They have 3 diffrent kind of viton seals?

I see Vinton makes valve seals for triple springs maybe I can get a measurement from them . I'm gonna fix them all while its down for this if I just do numbed 7 the rest are gonna need it eventually.

Again, I would call Comp and see what they say before you buy any more parts. Perhaps you might be able to get away without the dampener and stay with the seals you already have if they look OK.

If not, they probably can make a recommendation on a seal with this specific application. At least you have some better information now if you do decide to call them.

Only other thing to consider is that you may only have a problem with that one valve. Might want to check another one or two for the same symptoms.

Same symptoms on the others just not as bad. Not as bad as a broken piston, rings etc.

Hi Tom. Everything said above is good stuff.

I just got on, so I'd have to do a little research as far as what seals are currently available? And I would keep the damper spring. With that said, I can't believe a small Viton would be a issue, diameter wise, on the Eddy heads with dual springs. There must be thousands of them running around this world with no issues. As far as lift, you'll be fine with the 1.80 installed height that they come with.

One concern I thought of is, what diameter valve springs are installed now, OD? If the're too much smaller then the pocket, they can "dance" around on you enough to possibly cause interference on the inside.

If that's a possibility, a seat cup/locater may be available to keep the spring centered?

Im listening to everything Rick, car is at my friends house so no more work tonight but we will try to figure things out tomorrow.

The only thing that would chew up the seals would be the retainer crashing down on the seal.
The only way that happens is valve float...you buzzing it too high or missing a lot of gears or for what ever reason the springs have gone away...
I use to see a lot of this back in the day...

There are thousands of styles of Viton valve seals. It is a name brand. 21 posts and the excuse "No picture its at my friends house", ain't makin it. Not trying to be mean or a smartass, but in order for us to help we need to see something.

There's two sizes that we use around here... .490 inside is the smallest and the .530 is the next size up when it comes to seals..
The only way that a seal can take any kind of damage is from the top and if it were to take damage from the side the springs are moving over .500 to be able to contact the seal.Plus you have to remember that they are up off the bottom of the spring pad .350..
So I would think that the bottom of the spring would have to bounce over .300 to be able to contact the seal...
But all this is mute because he's floating the valves...A BUNCH..!! IMHO

My machinest wants to put something in there I forgot what he called it to keep the springs from moving around. After measuring inside spring diamater, than the valve seal with there shouldnt be a problem if the springs are jumping around. I wonder why it wasnt done like this the first time? Also untll this web site makes it easier for a old man like me to post pictures it aint gonna happen.

Every time you float the valves the springs give up a little pressure,I would imagine that they are at the point that they now are taking out your seals.
Spring cups are not really going to solve anything if your valve springs have lost enough pressure that they are bouncing around enough to take out the seals..
If you have a machinest that's looking at your heads...let him do his job..he has the heads, he can see what's really happening. No guessing involved...
My best guess is you killed the valve springs...

-
Back